• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TScottTX

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    My guess, FWIW, is no to your US Marshal friend :-(

: What law enforcement officials’ certifications on an application to transfer or make an NFA weapon are acceptable to ATF?

As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.[27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    As provided by regulations, certifications by the local chief of police, sheriff of the county, head of the State police, or State or local district attorney or prosecutor are acceptable. The regulations also provide that certifications of other officials are appropriate if found in a particular case to be acceptable to the Director. Examples of other officials who have been accepted in specific situations include State attorneys general and judges of State courts having authority to conduct jury trials in felony cases.

[27 CFR 479.63 and 479.85]

Source

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    Big time zombie thread but it fits here so I'll ask. I'm getting ready to file a Form 1 for an SBR. For the CLEO notification on my form 4 (recent suppressor purchase) I noticed that the CLEO notification was going to Texas Department of Public Safety, Steven McCraw (director). Can the same be done on my Form 1?

V-Tach

Watching While the Sheep Graze
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Sep 30, 2012
    Texas
    Back in the day an NFA required an "approval" now it's only a notification....

Why the DPS Director? I don't know our Sheriff always signed mine......

Kayt00

Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 1, 2021
    North DFW
    I got my Form 1 filled today. Evidently I hosed it a bit with my caliber selection because I put 7.62 and mm for 300 blackout. Technically that's correct but it's now being researched and I don't have a cover letter yet to send to the Sheriff's office.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    Big time zombie thread but it fits here so I'll ask. I'm getting ready to file a Form 1 for an SBR. For the CLEO notification on my form 4 (recent suppressor purchase) I noticed that the CLEO notification was going to Texas Department of Public Safety, Steven McCraw (director). Can the same be done on my Form 1?
    yes

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I got my Form 1 filled today. Evidently I hosed it a bit with my caliber selection because I put 7.62 and mm for 300 blackout. Technically that's correct but it's now being researched and I don't have a cover letter yet to send to the Sheriff's office.

No cover letter, just send the copy the form provides. He gets hundreds a week, he does not read cover letters.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Some police chiefs who are political appointees anti gun can phuck with your app. They have in the past. Refused to sign off and even called the ATF and delayed. Again in the past and why its sherrif only.

Its probably different now that it is notify only but I still would only send it to county sherriff's.

They are the chief LEO in the county. Technically anyways. And answer to the people thru the election.

Do as you wish.

Top Bottom