• satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Friends,

After finding a CETME parts kit in EXCELLENT condition,
    I've come to the conclusion that my minimal skills/tools are INADEQUATE to put together a rifle, using a complete new receiver, the necessary 922r compliant parts & new barrel.

Do any of our member assemble OR know a competent person who can do the job??
    (Preferably a person within a reasonable driving distance of The Alamo City.)

I plan to do the refinishing/minimal required repairs upon the wooden furniture, as well as the final assembly, since the G3 "plastic" stocks leave me "cold".

Note to "management": IF this is the wrong place to post this inquiry, feel free to move it to a more appropriate place.

yours, satx
    ARJ Defense ad

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Darqhelmet,

Pardon me for pointing out that while it's an easy task to unpack, inspect & degrease all the parts (This CETME kit is in GREAT physical shape & once refinished the wooden furniture will be quite handsome. = NICE-looking wood on the stock/fore-end, under all the accumulated crud/dirt!!!), I don't have a suitable press for the barrel and requisite welding skills necessary to do major portions of the assembly.

THANKS for your response.

yours, satx

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    If someone else puts it together for you, that makes them a manufacturer. They must be licensed as so, and fill out the required paperwork.

Darqhelmet

You had one job, one.
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jul 5, 2018
    Kaufman County
    Darqhelmet,

Pardon me for pointing out that while it's an easy task to unpack, inspect & degrease all the parts (This CETME kit is in GREAT physical shape & once refinished the wooden furniture will be quite handsome. = NICE-looking wood on the stock/fore-end, under all the accumulated crud/dirt!!!), I don't have a suitable press for the barrel and requisite welding skills necessary to do major portions of the assembly.

THANKS for your response.

yours, satx

The videos keep going. That was the first one in a long series. Follow the white rabbit.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    If someone else puts it together for you, that makes them a manufacturer. They must be licensed as so, and fill out the required paperwork.

smittyb,

NOT according to the BATFE Technical Branch, as I'm using a registered/serial-numbered receiver, new US-made barrel & the required number (9 in this case) of "922r" parts.

You would be 100% CORRECT if I was going to bend-up/weld a receiver "flat".

yours, satx

smittyb

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Cut N Shoot
    smittyb,

NOT according to the BATFE Technical Branch, as I'm using a registered/serial-numbered receiver, new US-made barrel & the required number (9 in this case) of "922r" parts.

You would be 100% CORRECT if I was going to bend-up/weld a receiver "flat".

yours, satx
    Yes, IF YOU were assembling it for yourself, I would agree.
    But you asked about someone else assembling it for you, which would require them to have a type 07.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    smittyB,

ONCE more, SORRY but you are 100% incorrect, according to BATFE's Technical branch. = I called & asked, after explaining what I wanted done.

Btw, I'm about to request a Class 7 FFL, so I can do the things lawfully that I once did as a "hobby", when I still was an active LEO. = 150 bucks each 3 years is an easy way to BE SURE that I'm legal.
    (Some things like reloading for friends in the department, over a decade ago, may have required an ammo manufacturer's license.)

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Hmm, guess I’m wrong.
    A lot of people sure have had unnecessary “build parties” over the years.

smittyb,

Build parties that I attended were "about saving money". - The last one that I attended (in JUL 2015) found me spending about 10 hours bending AK flats & doing other small jobs. After all the flats were bent-up, the rest of my day was painting/finishing the stocks/metal parts, while other people did other jobs for the 40+ AKs that were completed that one day.
    (I suspect that LOTS of BATFE "policies" have changed since DJT came into office & since ODUMBO is becoming "a bad dream".)

ADDENDA: Don't you suspect that ODUMBO's coven of GUN-HATERS just went NUTS over "homebrewed" AKs & "building parties"??? ===> Just the thought of their fuming, stomping around, cursing & ranting mindlessly makes me smile.

The BBQ was GREAT, too.

yours, satx

Last edited:

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston
    If a gunsmith assembles components provided by a customer, he's just being a gunsmith - although this almost changed when merely re-finishing a firearm nearly became 'manufacturing' a few years ago. (Remember that?)
    If a licensed individual (or entity) purchases components to assemble into complete firearms for sale, the assembly of said firearms is 'manufacturing' - even if they bought commercial receivers.
    Make sense now? It boils down to assembling customer-provided parts at customer request (gunsmithing) or assembling purchased components to sell as completed firearms (manufacturing).
    You give up on old Ford Diesels, Tex?

Eli

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    Eli,

NOPE. I had to bail my beloved Darla out after Hurricane Harvey got everything that she had, including car, clothes, furniture, appliances, jewelry, etc., etc., etc.
    (She cried the hardest over losing all the photos of her late mother/father, than everything else that was washed away.)

BUT she is ALIVE, well & we are both getting back on our feet financially. = That's what counts.
    (One of the things that "the water got" was my cellphone with all my contact 200+ contacts. = PLEASE send me yours again.)

For the time being, NO more antique PUs for me, as there is no "fun money".

yours, satx

Last edited:

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

A local agent here in SATX told me yesterday evening about a vendor that has several completed & QUALITY rebuilds of the G3 for 450.oo plus FFL transfer, so for the time being I won't be building any kits into rifles.

THANKS to ALL for your input.

yours, tex

Reactions: Eli

Southpaw

Forum BSer
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    Guadalupe Co.
    To All,

A local agent here in SATX told me yesterday evening about a vendor that has several completed & QUALITY rebuilds of the G3 for 450.oo plus FFL transfer, so for the time being I won't be building any kits into rifles.

yours, tex

Who is the vendor?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    To All,

yours, tex
    Please share.

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    TxStetson; Southpaw; smittyB; ALL,

I'm not where I have the name/address written down but will PM you when I am.

yours, satx

satx78247

Member, Emeritus
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2014
    To All,

As cheap as kits, receivers & barrels are becoming in DJT's (and us "commoners") world, maybe a BUILD PARTY, IF we can find a welder, who does TIG.

yours, satx

Top Bottom