Hurley's Gold

Who can cut an AR barrel down in the Austin area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Doesn't cutting an AR barrel require some fancy voodoo on the gas tube hole (sorry if that's not the technical term) unless you want to risk fucked up dwell times, not enough back-pressure, etc?

cmgray612

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2013
    Leander, Texas
    Doesn't cutting an AR barrel require some fancy voodoo on the gas tube hole (sorry if that's not the technical term) unless you want to risk $#@!ed up dwell times, not enough back-pressure, etc?

You mean a larger gas port. That's a good question. I have to 14.5" and a 10" that run great. I don't know that their gas ports are any larger.

London

The advocate's Devil.
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Sep 28, 2010
    Twilight Zone
    Just something I read in Boston's Gun Bible. He tells the tale of buying a 16" AR he didn't know was chopped, then explained something about the distance of the gas port being effed (I guess it's closer to the receiver on a proper M-4gery?). If I recall correctly it has to be opened to compensate for that, but I won't swear to it.

Caveat emptor.

98f150

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 20, 2008
    I can cut off the end that attaches to the upper receiver shorten the barrel then weld the attacment point back on for a case of beer.

bptactical

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2013
    CO
    Length of current barrel?
    How short do you want to go?

This is pertinent information and will dictate whether or not the port needs enlargement.
    I cut and pin a slew of barrels (14 in the shop now) and very rarely do we have to open up a port.
    Usually the only time we run into issues is on suppressed rifles or some ding dog wants to use a carbine barrel for a pistol build.

Throw the upper in the mail and we will get it done.

Top Bottom