Venture Surplus ad

Who do I contact about this "no weapons" sign?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Problem is, that sign says with or with out a license.

Of course by CHL laws the premises is considered to be inside a building.

Seems pretty sketchy to me.

GlockOwner

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    Dallas (Oak Cliff)
    This is news to me, I thought it was only prohibited on the "premises" of the school, but the Gun-Free School Zones Act says no guns within 1000ft of the premises (when unlicensed)?

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    This is news to me, I thought it was only prohibited on the "premises" of the school, but the Gun-Free School Zones Act says no guns within 1000ft of the premises (when unlicensed)?

News to you is correct. You end you statement with a question mark, do you still not believe what you have read?

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    News to you is correct. You end you statement with a question mark, do you still not believe what you have read?

That letter seems to reference reciprocity, I didn't read through the entire law though because it is a federal law and the sign says that you would be prosecuted under state law and local law. No mention of federal law.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    That's an interesting sign.

Note that it says that violators will be prosecuted "in accordance with ... AISD Board Policy ...". I think you want to know what that policy is before taking any steps.

I won't say what the law says. I'm not sure. I know that plenty of people are under the impression that WITH a CHL, you're good to go until you step across the front threshold of an actual building. But that's a matter of law and IANAL.

The sign, otoh, says that there's a whole 'nother set of rules that can be used against you, namely, AISD Board Policy.

AISD Board Policy may very well be that only redheads riding unicycles may attend physics courses on Wednesdays. Local board policies can be anything and can sometimes be monumentally stupid. So while you may be fine legally to do something, your kid in that school might suffer horribly as a result of your actions if they violate board policy.

In this case, there doesn't seem to be too much to worry about. The AISD policy specifically refers to "premises", not "property", in their prohibition against weapons. "Premises" is defined as a building. Unfortunately, the word "property" does appear in a section title at one place in the policy AND the policy on posting signs immediately follows. Thus, the biggest problem I see with the sign is that it uses the word "property" when it should use the word "premises".

So the wording is wrong. The placement seems pretty sub-optimal, too, since putting the signs right outside the buildings would better help anyone who might be unknowingly about to break the law.

So if you want to get that sign (verbiage or placement) fixed, I'd suggest you take it up with the school board. It was their policy that required the sign placement in the first place.

The AISD board policy sections that seem most appropriate are here: http://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Download/1146?filename=GKA(LOCAL).pdf and on page three here: http://pol.tasb.org/Policy/Download/1146?filename=GKA(LEGAL).pdf .

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I will say it's not uncommon for signs to be placed in a way to give the impression that you can't do something even though it is perfectly fine to do so.

They probably know the rules and also know that many will stop only because the sign scares them. It also makes some Austin libs feel better knowing that everybody is safe, there is a sign there after all.

Acera

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 17, 2011
    Republic of Texas
    One can have a gun in a car on school property, right?

No matter if the school district has a policy or not, the short answer is no as it's still a federal crime (without a CHL).

It would surprise me if the school district did not have a policy of reporting and assisting any investigation into all federal gun crimes that happen on their property that they become aware of.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    From what I was told by the feller that instructed the chl class that I took, you are legal to have the firearm in your truck, if you had to go into the building to speak with a teacher you would have to park and leave your firearm in your truck. Now this makes me wonder.

ZeR0BuG

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    SE, TX
    From what I was told by the feller that instructed the chl class that I took, you are legal to have the firearm in your truck, if you had to go into the building to speak with a teacher you would have to park and leave your firearm in your truck. Now this makes me wonder.
    As a parent of a student that would be correct (under my understanding of the law and based on what my CHL instructor told me) but if you are an AISD employee who is also a parent of a student in AISD, you can not have a weapon in your car on school property.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.

I believe that is correct.

Side note: it's good to find the laws and read them yourself. Some CHL instructors get things wrong and "my CHL instructor said" will not be much of a defense.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    How can AISD file criminal charges if you have a CHL and it's legal to have in the car? You could certainly get fired if you were an employee but I'm not familiar with a law that would allow them to file criminal charges unless they knew and asked you to leave and you didn't, then it would be trespassing. Anybody got a link or reference to a law that says the school can file against you?

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    If you have a CHL you can have your weapon on you, or in your car, on the premises of AISD regardless of wether or not you have a student there.
    I don't see that sign as barring anything and they can shove their policy, it doesn't hold the weight of law as far as criminal charges go.

BIGPAPIGREG

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 21, 2013
    San Antonio, TEXAS
    I believe that is correct.

Side note: it's good to find the laws and read them yourself. Some CHL instructors get things wrong and "my CHL instructor said" will not be much of a defense.

10-4 on that. the "he said she said" "I thought" or "I was told" dont hold much water. I'm wondering due to the fact that I pick up my God children often. When I do have to go into the school the firearm stays in the pickup (in a locked safe)but I need to make sure that i'm still not breaking the law here in San Antonio

Top Bottom