• ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    What do you like and dislike about it?
    How is the fit and finish, overall quality?

I’m looking at a 1911 and looking for ideas...
    Just not that big on Colt....

Looking at a full size, 45 Caliber, Novak sites... bi-tone...
    Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I had a Series 80 Colt 1911. Poor sights, poor fit-and-finish, and a very poor trigger. I poured money into it for years and finally sold it for about the original price. I have seen other Colts that were not as bad as that one, so don't take my comments to be a sweeping indictment.

Ultimately, nobody likes the Series 80 because of the stupid lawyer-driven trigger safety. It's unnecessary and it contributes to the sloppiness of the trigger. You can buy the parts to bypass it, but then your pistol is modified and you lose the warranty.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    My gcnm has been perfect. I've shot hundreds of my handloads no problem once I switched mags to tripps
    The 8rd colts were shit
    Edit: I recently picked up a newer stainless competition and a Wiley clapped lwc but those are still virgins
    (Yep ima fanboy)

Last edited:

Geezer

Mostly Peaceful
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 23, 2019
    Silsbee, Texas
    I have an early Series 80 Government Model. It has the Series 80 stuff in the slide but has the collet bushing and Accurizer barrel. Runs great, sights are hard to see but that's the same with all Gov models.

Colt Gov 1.jpg

Attachments

• Colt Gov 1.jpg
      Colt Gov 1.jpg
      1.2 MB · Views: 361

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    If you are willing to go semicustom, look at Guncrafter. The best craftsmanship I have ever seen in a pistol, noticeably superior to EB, NH, etc. Incredible trigger - crisp break, no creep. Great people.

I bought a used GI and had called them to ask about replacing the flush slide stop with a regular. Did not do anything at that time. A while later, decided to send it back in and have it checked over since it was bought used. When it was returned (no issues found), lo and behold there was a regular slide stop. I had not asked for this nor even mentioned it when I sent it in. Had only asked for them to check the pistol out. Pretty incredible customer service.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    If you are willing to go semicustom, look at Guncrafter. The best craftsmanship I have ever seen in a pistol, noticeably superior to EB, NH, etc. Incredible trigger - crisp break, no creep. Great people.

I bought a used GI and had called them to ask about replacing the flush slide stop with a regular. Did not do anything at that time. A while later, decided to send it back in and have it checked over since it was bought used. When it was returned (no issues found), lo and behold there was a regular slide stop. I had not asked for this nor even mentioned it when I sent it in. Had only asked for them to check the pistol out. Pretty incredible customer service.
    My budget is for something under $1000

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    I've got an older series 80 Gold Cup and it is quite nice. It's unmodified and the trigger isn't quite as good as some of my other 1911's, but that's getting very picky about it. I've run all kinds of ammo through it and it functions perfectly.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    Got a series 80 Gold Cup Trophy. It's got a decent trigger. Came with an under powered recoil spring, but once I replaced that with a wolff shoots good.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    My budget is for something under $1000
    Sig is making a very good 1911, the Sig TacOps is a great shooter. Very smooth. Well built. Right around $1k.

On the lower cost end, the Remington 1911 looks pretty solid as does the Ruger.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Sig is making a very good 1911, the Sig TacOps is a great shooter. Very smooth. Well built. Right around $1k.

On the lower cost end, the Remington 1911 looks pretty solid as does the Ruger.
    I have the Ruger and love it

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I think both Colt 1911s I have are Series 80. The Defender has a laser grip on it (it's the one I carry mostly) and I also have a Commander, both are stainless steel. I really need a full size in stainless like the other two! And, of course, they are 45ACP! :green: ///// :banana:

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    What do you like and dislike about it?
    How is the fit and finish, overall quality?

I’m looking at a 1911 and looking for ideas...
    Just not that big on Colt....

Looking at a full size, 45 Caliber, Novak sites... bi-tone...

I have several recent made Series 80 Colt 1911's.

All Steel blue 9mm Commander - outstanding gun. Runs 100% and very accurate. Lower end gun with fixed 3dot.

Gov't 38 Super Competition stainless - outstanding gun. Runs 100% and very accurate.
    All I've had to do was move the rear sight a bit to get it zeroed.

Gold Cup 9mm blue - pretty good gun. Runs well. It is a little ammo sensitive. Not quite as accurate as it should be.
    Still in the finding what works best mode with it.

Lightweight Commander 45. blue - excellent gun. Runs 100% and accurate. Fixed novaks. Dead on out of the box.

Combat Elite 9mm Commander - farking junk.
    Most expensive Colt gun I've bought up to now.
    External finish lousy polishing job.
    Fixed Novak night sights.
    Right off the bat the fixed sights were way the hell off.
    Sight was so tight in dovetail it took a gunsmith level sight pusher to move.
    I did swap out the rear to an adjustable Novak tritium bar. Got the sights dead on after much ado.
    Gun continues to give problems.
    Failures to slide lock on final round. Slide stop tip jumping on top of mag follower.
    Replaced slide stop with a Ed Brown. Better but still happens.
    Failures to extract. Jam city.
    Extractor is tuned right but still happens. Still trying to figure it out.
    Gun is extremely accurate so I'm still in the deciding phase of what to do with it.
    Send it off to a 1911 guru and get it right or use for a trot line weight in the drainage canal?

Pimp Daddy is a Series 80 El Cen originally in 38Super.
    was extensively worked over by a 1911 guru converted to 9mm so it isn't relevant here.
    it worked fine right out of the box before conversion.

Army 1911

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Dallas Texas or so
    There is nothing wrong with the series 80 trigger it can be tuned. I have several that break cleanly at 4 lb.

As for fit and finish that varies depending on the gun and when it was made.

Colt does not make their guns is tightly fit as other manufacturers but there's nothing wrong with that. A tight slide to frame fit only gives you the final two or three or 5% of accuracy.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I have several recent made Series 80 Colt 1911's.

All Steel blue 9mm Commander - outstanding gun. Runs 100% and very accurate. Lower end gun with fixed 3dot.

Gov't 38 Super Competition stainless - outstanding gun. Runs 100% and very accurate.
    All I've had to do was move the rear sight a bit to get it zeroed.

Gold Cup 9mm blue - pretty good gun. Runs well. It is a little ammo sensitive. Not quite as accurate as it should be.
    Still in the finding what works best mode with it.

Lightweight Commander 45. blue - excellent gun. Runs 100% and accurate. Fixed novaks. Dead on out of the box.

Combat Elite 9mm Commander - farking junk.
    Most expensive Colt gun I've bought up to now.
    External finish lousy polishing job.
    Fixed Novak night sights.
    Right off the bat the fixed sights were way the hell off.
    Sight was so tight in dovetail it took a gunsmith level sight pusher to move.
    I did swap out the rear to an adjustable Novak tritium bar. Got the sights dead on after much ado.
    Gun continues to give problems.
    Failures to slide lock on final round. Slide stop tip jumping on top of mag follower.
    Replaced slide stop with a Ed Brown. Better but still happens.
    Failures to extract. Jam city.
    Extractor is tuned right but still happens. Still trying to figure it out.
    Gun is extremely accurate so I'm still in the deciding phase of what to do with it.
    Send it off to a 1911 guru and get it right or use for a trot line weight in the drainage canal?

Pimp Daddy is a Series 80 El Cen originally in 38Super.
    was extensively worked over by a 1911 guru converted to 9mm so it isn't relevant here.
    it worked fine right out of the box before conversion.
    I dont know...seems hit and miss on the Colts...

I'm leaning towards a Kimber now I'm pretty sure

Top Bottom