Who has a Just Right Carbine and how do you like it?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    It's the next gun I will likely buy. In the world of pistol caliber carbines, I like this one the best.

If you have one, I'd like to know how they perform, are there any problems with them you know of and how hard are the receivers to clean?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I've had one for quite a while. For almost as long as I've had it, it's been sitting in storage.

When I got it, I had a Slide-Fire stock installed. I figured I had enough 33-round Glock magazines to make faux-auto shooting feasible. When the rifle works, it's more fun than a barrel of monkeys. I put a red dot sight where the front sight would go and just rock-n-roll. It was pretty easy to stay in the black on a 50m pistol target at long home defense ranges and stay "minute of bad guy" out to 50 yards while shooting quickly. Big grins all around.

I became disenchanted pretty quickly. The tolerances on mine are apparently stacked just wrong. Occasionally it'll run through mag after mag with nary a bobble. Most often it won't go three shots without a failure to feed. FTFs look like the cartridge case mouth is catching on something; the cases are wrinkled and partially collapsed. I've been told that these are only problems with the early production rifles but mine has the later round barrel profile. LGS 'smith has taken a look at it and doesn't see an obvious problem.

So maybe it's dirty? Well, possibly. Tearing it down to clean it requires unscrewing things that should be pinned and the whole process is such a pain that you'll dread it.

I like the idea of a light pistol caliber carbine for home defense and plinking. Even so:

• My experience with the JR has left me unimpressed
    • 9mms ARs range from too expensive to ridiculous.
    • TNW Aeros seem nice but they've gone up $200 in the last 6 months or so to ~$800 list; that strikes me as odd since they were holding the line on price and selling them for ~$600 months ago at the height of the panic.
    • The Thureon base price is $1000, which is more than I think a simple blowback carbine should cost.
    If I had it to do over again, I don't think I'd make a decision until I had held the TNW Aero.

Sorry to be a Negative Nancy. For all I know, if I sent my JR back to the factory or found the right 'smith, it would be as reliable as gravity. If that were the case, I could put up with the tedious disassembly/reassembly. For the foreseeable future, though, mine will continue to sit in storage.

Last edited:

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    I'm sorry to hear that you're having trouble also. Do they have a good repair policy? I'd like to know how they responded to your problem
    Its good to hear the truth about something, albeit not what you expect sometimes

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Seems to me a kel-tec would be a better option in the 9mm or 40 cal side of things.

If you are referring to the Sub 2000, I had one of those a few years ago and although it was a very functional weapon, it was not fun to shoot.
    The blowback of the bolt through the bolt tube nearly jarred my teeth out of my face. I installed a foam pad and it helped some but in the end, I traded it in for a pistol instead.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    Cam pointed to more pictures than I could ever take.

As for the ad pointed out by Acera - this is third-hand and should be independently verified but the LGS that sold me my JRC later told me that their overall experience was that the .45s were more reliable than the 9mms. At the time, I thought they were just trying to say what I needed to hear (and it's likely I was correct) but if anyone is really considering one of these but hasn't decided on a chambering, some investigation into potential reliability issues relative to chambering are indicated. IMO, of course.

Top Bottom