WHo has the BEST Bar-B-Que in HOUSTON??

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Chat' started by accordingtoome, Apr 14, 2009.

1. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Greetings folks. I have a buddy comming into town and he wants the Best BBQ in houston. i have been to Good Co. and it was o.k. I live on the west side of town but willing to drive if its worth it.

Also a good Texas Steak house would be nice also.

thanks all
    ATM

2. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    In Houston, I like GABBY'S. Outside of Houston (Alvin,Tx.), you can't beat Joe's BBQ.:2cents:

3. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've tried lots that were okay, but nothing great. There is a place on Live Oak, 3rd Ward (bad part of town) that made it to one of the cable tv shows. I'm thinking 1301 or 3000, but dunno.

4. dbgun

dbgun TGT Addict

Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    There's also a place in Pearland, I believe is called Hill Country BBQ (not sure). I went there maybe 10 years ago (I know, a very long time not to go back) and it was pretty good. It's just west on Hwy 518, off of Hwy 35(Telephone rd.). Like I said, I haven't been there in a while, because I usually go to GABBY's or Joe's.

Sorry for only giving you names of places on the South/South East side of town.

5. accordingtoome

accordingtoome Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    ya i have been in houston for almost a year now and there is not a real famous place to eat here. In LA we had tons of landmark places to eat. Pinks Hotdogs, Felipes, Busy bee's.. etc.. You have to stand in line but its Great Food.
    I have been to about 20 or so places in houston and all the food has either been below average or just bad. I don't mind going to a bad part of town for some good food.

6. txjustin

txjustin New Member

Mar 8, 2009
    Rosenberg
    What kind of food do you like? Any Pappas(Pappadeaux, Pappasitos, Pappas Seafood, C&M Steakhouse) restaurant will have excellent food.

7. cbigclarke

cbigclarke TGT Addict

Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    Larrys BBQ buffet.. not bad. not bad at all
    on the side on 290 past the york exit going east

8. nalioth

nalioth Active Member

Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    Have you ever been there? I've not found any of the rumors to be true.

Don't let your prejudice show.

. . . and you don't think it's "famous" because the food shows and local news programs don't have the budget to go around the world, and instead just nip out the back door to the local places?

Also the fact that 50% of the stuff filmed in LA shows these places regularly?

Thought control at it's best.

Cookie cutter restaurants suck (even though the Pappas brothers maintain damned good ones).

The best BBQ that I've found are in the "bad parts of town" or out in the woods.

9. DCortez

DCortez TGT Addict

Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    Prejudiced my arse, I've been there plenty, although it's been a month since my last visit.

10. 40Arpent

40Arpent TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    BBQ: Harris County Smokehouse, Hwy 6 at 290 (or FM2920 at 249)
    Steak: Taste of Texas, I-10 just inside Beltway 8 (south side of I-10)

The Taste of Texas might not be quite as good as Pappas Bros, Ruth's Chris, Perry's, Vic & Anthony's, etc., but it's a bit on the casual side with damn fine steaks (you can choose your own from the meat cooler), an awesome salad bar, and great desserts. Prices are better than the others mentioned also.