• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Greetings folks. I have a buddy comming into town and he wants the Best BBQ in houston. i have been to Good Co. and it was o.k. I live on the west side of town but willing to drive if its worth it.

Also a good Texas Steak house would be nice also.

thanks all
    ATM
    DK Firearms

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    In Houston, I like GABBY'S. Outside of Houston (Alvin,Tx.), you can't beat Joe's BBQ.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I've been wondering the same thing. I've tried lots that were okay, but nothing great. There is a place on Live Oak, 3rd Ward (bad part of town) that made it to one of the cable tv shows. I'm thinking 1301 or 3000, but dunno.

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    There's also a place in Pearland, I believe is called Hill Country BBQ (not sure). I went there maybe 10 years ago (I know, a very long time not to go back) and it was pretty good. It's just west on Hwy 518, off of Hwy 35(Telephone rd.). Like I said, I haven't been there in a while, because I usually go to GABBY's or Joe's.

Sorry for only giving you names of places on the South/South East side of town.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    ya i have been in houston for almost a year now and there is not a real famous place to eat here. In LA we had tons of landmark places to eat. Pinks Hotdogs, Felipes, Busy bee's.. etc.. You have to stand in line but its Great Food.
    I have been to about 20 or so places in houston and all the food has either been below average or just bad. I don't mind going to a bad part of town for some good food.

txjustin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Rosenberg
    ya i have been in houston for almost a year now and there is not a real famous place to eat here. In LA we had tons of landmark places to eat. Pinks Hotdogs, Felipes, Busy bee's.. etc.. You have to stand in line but its Great Food.
    I have been to about 20 or so places in houston and all the food has either been below average or just bad. I don't mind going to a bad part of town for some good food.

What kind of food do you like? Any Pappas(Pappadeaux, Pappasitos, Pappas Seafood, C&M Steakhouse) restaurant will have excellent food.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    There is a place on Live Oak, 3rd Ward (bad part of town) that made it to one of the cable tv shows.
    Have you ever been there? I've not found any of the rumors to be true.

Don't let your prejudice show.

In LA we had tons of landmark places to eat. Pinks Hotdogs, Felipes, Busy bee's.. etc.. You have to stand in line but its Great Food.
    . . . and you don't think it's "famous" because the food shows and local news programs don't have the budget to go around the world, and instead just nip out the back door to the local places?

Also the fact that 50% of the stuff filmed in LA shows these places regularly?

Thought control at it's best.

What kind of food do you like? Any Pappas(Pappadeaux, Pappasitos, Pappas Seafood, C&M Steakhouse) restaurant will have excellent food.
    Cookie cutter restaurants suck (even though the Pappas brothers maintain damned good ones).

The best BBQ that I've found are in the "bad parts of town" or out in the woods.

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    BBQ: Harris County Smokehouse, Hwy 6 at 290 (or FM2920 at 249)
    Steak: Taste of Texas, I-10 just inside Beltway 8 (south side of I-10)

The Taste of Texas might not be quite as good as Pappas Bros, Ruth's Chris, Perry's, Vic & Anthony's, etc., but it's a bit on the casual side with damn fine steaks (you can choose your own from the meat cooler), an awesome salad bar, and great desserts. Prices are better than the others mentioned also.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    It isn't Texas BBQ, but hit Chabuca's. All-you-can-eat meat brought out on spits!!! When I was there, they had beef ribs on the buffet.

iratollah

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2008
    You can always take a drive into the country and go to Dozier's in Fulshear. Authentic Texas meat market/BBQ place. Decent BBQ and sauces.

308nato

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Between Tomball & Waller
    I like the Texas Road House on 45 and 1960 or the one at 290 and 1960.
    Texas Land and Cattle by Willowbrook.
    JB's stake House and Grill 11300 Huffmeister , Cypress. they smoke the meat up to 14 hrs with pecan wood.

nalioth

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Houston Metro
    I like the Texas Road House <snip>
    Mmmmmkay.

They're owned by Yankees.

C'mon folks, we're talking REALLY GOOD BBQ, not chain restaurants (especially ones that pretend to be Texan).

Local folks with local restaurants. Word of mouth kind of places.

Sheeesh, the way this thread is going, somebody'll suggest McDonalds McRib or Chipotle BBQ Wrap . . . .

40Arpent

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 16, 2008
    Houston
    JB's stake House and Grill 11300 Huffmeister , Cypress. they smoke the meat up to 14 hrs with pecan wood.

+1...great hole-in-the-wall steakhouse.

I had rancid beef at Texas Roadhouse (the one on Hwy 6 at 290) about 2 years ago...will never go back.

DCortez

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Houston, Cy-Fair
    I have to agree with the others, avoid a chain (Texas Land and Cattle, bleh!) if you can. Has anyone eaten at Prime Time Steak House on 1960 & Perry? I haven't been in there in a few years. Food was good. They have recently added all you can eat prime rib on Mondays.

I'm not huge on beef any more. A steak takes me a week to digest.

1rightguy

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 25, 2009
    Some very bad recomendations here. Larry's is bad but Harris County Smokehouse is like bad cafeteria food. You have to go with Goode Company for BBQ. As far off as TXSUT is with BBQ, he's right on with steaks. I am in The Galleria area and would add Morton's and Sullivan's to the list of great steak joints.

accordingtoome

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Some very bad recomendations here. Larry's is bad but Harris County Smokehouse is like bad cafeteria food. You have to go with Goode Company for BBQ. As far off as TXSUT is with BBQ, he's right on with steaks. I am in The Galleria area and would add Morton's and Sullivan's to the list of great steak joints.

i live in the same area.. i like the hole in the wall joints also but would like to fancy it up a little this time.

nalioth.. you crack my up buddy. good points

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    (Texas Land and Cattle, bleh!)
    Must be the way they coook the meat.

My brother-in-law use to work for the one located on I45south & Beltway-8. Thier roof caved in after a big storm. The manager told my Brother-in-law that the palce was going to be shut down for a few months. He also told him to go into the freezer that had lost power the night before & take the meat out and throw it away. Well, 5 minutes later he shows up at my house with about a dozen frozen, vacuum packed prime ribs. My buddy & I eat very well at the deer lease, that season.

My wife and I went to a company dinner at Vic & Anthony's (downtown Houston). We ate a really good steak but there's no way I'd pay for what they charge. I've heard (from friends) good things about Ruth's Chris.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Irowland1994
    Top Bottom