• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BeatTheTunaUp

Fux with the best, Die like the rest
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    Temple TX
    Just occurred to me...my wife loves shooting my .45ACP 1911. Except for the weight. She complains that it's too heavy, but loves the relatively narrow grip that fits her hands better. Maybe a single-stack 9mm would be the way to go for yours.
    You usually find a Star BM9 for around $200 and is pretty close.

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    Just occurred to me...my wife loves shooting my .45ACP 1911. Except for the weight. She complains that it's too heavy, but loves the relatively narrow grip that fits her hands better. Maybe a single-stack 9mm would be the way to go for yours.
    Or the S&W shield in 45 acp, slim and recoil isn't bad.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Once again,I was lax in getting to the range but I did go this past Friday. I shot my Glock 26, Beretta 84B (.380) and my Beretta APX A1 Carry. After shooting for practice and fun, I also qualified for the enhanced Arkansas Concealed Handgun Carry License. My group was okay but I can use practice a bit more often. In fact, when i told the instructor I needed more pratctice because I was dissatisfied with the shot grouping, the instructor said my group was excellent. I was talking about it compared to how much better I could shoot some years ago but will admit is was a good group by normal standards. I hold myself to somewhat a higher standard than for most when it comes to pistol shooting. Anyhow, now I am qualified to get my AR CHCL and to get it at the enhanced level. I should be turning in the paperwork at State Police HQ in Little Rock sometime on Tuesday if all goes as planned. Wanted to do it tomorrow but they are closed for Washington's birthday (actually on the 22nd of February but celebrated on the third Monday in February and called President's Day by some).

I need to find someone in AR to run my LEOSA qualification but most folks here do not seem to have even an iota of a clue as to what is LEOSA.

As for the Beretta APX A1 Carry, I'd rate it as a C minus or C at best. I think the trigger is terrible (length of trigger travel, very stiff feeling, creep feeling crunchy as if sand was in the mechanism and reset not to my liking). Also, the need to use any type of tool (even a very simple one), as you need to do per the APX A1 Carry manual, in order to field strip it (as opposed to complete disassembly) is outdated and a big negative as I see it for a defensive handgun. I also did not like the grips, too thin for me but that is a subjective issue. It shot okay, got a decent few inches off center (low to left) group a ten yards but did not put the target further out because after a couple boxes of ammo, my trigger finger was hurting due to the overly stiff trigger and that crunchy feeling trigger creep. I would not carry it unless no better pistol was available. It is the first Beretta I have shot and or owned that I think definitely is not one I could depend upon for the job for which it was designed. I also shot my Beretta 84B after that. It shoots somewhat high with any ammo I have used to date but was pretty much dead center along the horizontal dimension.

20230219_153252.jpg

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    "Enhanced"? So...what's the difference between regular and enhanced? You can carry prettier guns?
    With an enhanced license, you legally can carry in some places wherein you legally cannot carry with a regular AR CHCL, like places that serve alcohol. Obviously a money making scheme for the state because there seems to be no reason otherwise to disallow carry in all those places with a regular CHCL. All they had to do was to make it so for a regular license but the way it is now: the state gets two license fees, the instructors get two fees (taxes on that go to the state if any) and maybe some of the fee goes to the state. Of course, the licensee gets screwed out of cash in order to be able to carry in more places.

Without mentioning or even hinting at the name of my instructor or of the range where he works, allow me to say that what amazed me most was that the instructor invited a representative of well known carry insurance company, or one of its affiliates, into the classroom who proceeded to give a sales pitch presentation, of at least a half hour, for their carry insurance.Then she was allowed to sell that policy to the attendees while disrupting the class as it was ongoing after she had finished her presentation. She had the nerve to make the claim, as I understood what she was saying, that they have never lost a criminal case and never will do so. That was after I, and later another student, asked about their coverage for monetary damages in a tort claim being dependent upon you being found not guilty of criminal charges if you shoot someone and need their services. The CHCL instructor also pushed other companies' products - companies from which he seemingly admitted to boasted about having received what apparently amounted to gratuities for having done so. The audacity of them doing so had me quite surprised that such was taking place openly during a CHCL class sanctioned by the state.

Last edited:

General Zod

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2012
    Kaufman County
    With an enhanced license, you legally can carry in some places wherein you legally cannot carry with a regular AR CHCL, like places that serve alcohol. Obviously a money making scheme for the state because there seems to be no reason otherwise to disallow carry in all those places with a regular CHCL. All they had to do was to make it so for a regular license but the way it is now: the state gets two license fees, the instructors get two fees (taxes on that go to the state if any) and maybe some of the fee goes to the state. Of course, the licensee gets screwed out of cash in order to be able to carry in more places.

So with the regular license you can't even go into a restaurant that serves alcohol? Or is it like the 51% prohibition here, where you can't carry in an establishment that makes most or all of its money from serving alcohol?

Chewbacca7685

Certified Golf Cart Driver
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    Mission

That’s what I’m thinking. For now she seems set on a 22 revolver like a cheap heritage or ruger. She wants to call it Dirty Harriette. I’m not opposed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    So with the regular license you can't even go into a restaurant that serves alcohol? Or is it like the 51% prohibition here, where you can't carry in an establishment that makes most or all of its money from serving alcohol?
    As far as I understood, with a regular CHCL, you are prohibited from being in an establishment that serves alcohol for consumption on the premises when carrying. While you can carry in many places that serve alcohol for consumption on the premises, there is still a manner by which such an establishment can bar you from entering while armed if they choose to do - it pretty much requires signs ne posed at each and every entrance. The enhanced version also allows you into some government facilities and other places from which you would be banned while carrying with a regular license. Since I never took the class for the regular license I am not completely familiar with all of the banned types of locations but will be reading up on that more because I have the regular class materials.

The below link to this range's website gives a good explanation of the additional places you can carry with an enhanced license as opposed to you not being allowed to carry in those locations with a regular CHCL:

http://arkansasarmory.com/updates/enhanced-carry-training-some-specifics

I am transferring my TX LTC to AR for a CHCL. AR required me to take the enhanced class (specifically telling me I do not need nor should I take the regular class) in order to transfer my license and as opposed to what that range's website says about fees, the state charges about $75 for the transfer - not the $15 the website mentions.

ETA: I just deleted some other stuff I had included in this post about the instructors because now that I think of it, some things probably are better left unsaid.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom