• Do you have a Tourniquet?

• Total voters

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    I am on a small facebook gun group and the topic of Tourniquet came up. Someone was shocked that I have never owned one - to which I replied I've barely even considered one, let along own or carry one. I said I'd guess over half the people, maybe up to 75% of people who carry, don't even own one.

I threw a poll up in this small group. Some LE, some military, mostly all of us are your gung-ho gun guys. It's been less than 24 hours and 46 have said they have them, and only 7 said they have never owned one.

Did a quick search here and it's only been mentioned once - someone was selling a tourniquet holster.
    Searched on CalGuns, where I was active for a number of years and never recall it being mentioned. Low and behold there were a million threads.

I barely even carry a spare mug half the time. I joked and said what's next? Going to a steakhouse with the family, have a backpack with IV, syringe, AED. Maybe daily drive an ambulance?

Anyhow - curious to see where you all stand.
    Texas SOT

SURVIVOR619

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 31, 2017
    US
    Don't do drugs, and not medically trained. Not sure I'd even know how to properly use one.
    Same here (no drugs, no medical training). However, packs up relatively small and if faced with an open fracture, for example, would certainly try to tie off above the wound. Have and not need > need and not have.

SQLGeek

Muh state lines
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Sep 22, 2017
    Richmond
    Carrying medical is the latest craze in the younger tacticool crowd from what I've gathered in my Facebook group lurking.

Like Brains, I'm not medically trained. I don't own one. I should get training such as Stop the Bleed but I don't have any right now.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    As I sat on the side of the highway after my wife was hit, I remembered another discussion about this. My wife had some horrific injuries.

There were some nurses on their way to their job following us. When the accident happened, they were on her in a minute or less. They had trauma packs, boxes of gloves, etc. They had tourniquets on her legs really quickly.

I have no doubt that had they not had them and done what they did, she would have died very quickly. Her death was not because she bled out.

I am planning to add a couple to my first aid kit I carry.

Don't bother replying to this post, because I plan to not come back to this thread. But I felt I should add my 2 cents on this subject. I have very recent, very real experience with the subject.

rman

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 7, 2015
    Ft. Worth
    A lot have mentioned belt - i thought the same thing. Although now that I have one of those ratcheting Kore belts it might not get small enough around an arm or something. But a t-shirt, wife beater, anything can be torn and tied pretty quickly.

Inadvertently, one of the members is sending me a CAT Tourniquet as a nice gesture. Another guy offered me his old army bag, I declined. But in retrospect that would make a good vehicle bag.

I know it goes with the whole "better to have it an not need it" thing... but really there's got to be a line drawn somewhere. I'm not against a first aid kit in the vehicle, I think that's a great idea. But beyond that it gets a little exessive.

tsugsr

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 14, 2014
    I carry one daily at work and have one very close the rest of the time.

If you carry a gun, quikclot or similar and a tourniquet are good to have close by.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

DyeF9

In Thrust We Trust
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    I've seriously considered many times putting together an emergency medical kit with chest seals and tourniquets etc, but need to find time and money for proper training before I will consider carrying it. You can do a lot of harm using one improperly. Several guys who I've worked with carried them and weren't properly trained and we're way too gung go about using them in inappropriate situations

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

rmantoo

Cranky old fart: Pull my finger
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 9, 2013
    San Angelo
    I highly recommend that any outdoorsman, or recreational shooter have at least a basic first aid kit in their vehicle.

Amazon has little quick clot packages, tourniquets, and venting chest seals, all for less than about $30.

If you're out shooting on a range, whether it's a gun that blows up, severing an artery, or another shooter who goes crazy and hits you, or another person on the range, or a random encounter with an accident scene, 99.99% of us will never need any of this, but just like I almost always carry a 9mm handgun (and actually pray that I never have to use it) I would rather have this stuff in the pickup and never need it than vice versa.

I've taken enough emergency aide training to understand that even if I encountered 50 car wrecks or GSWs I would probably never make the call for a venting chest seal... but if I DO ever encounter one, and a nurse or paramedic is there, too, and says, "sucking chest wound," well, I'll have one. For $10 it's cheap insurance, and that seal and tourniquet pretty much don't have expiration dates that realistically matter....

I also have all 3 in the bag I take when riding motorcycles. On my dual sport bike they're in my fender bag.

Top Bottom