• Do you have a Tourniquet?

• Total voters

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Yeah, but what if both hands were amputated? Then what?

I assume you're wearing your IFAK now. If not, that's piss-poor planning. Probly should have it in the shower too in case you slip through the glass door.

Willful arrogance is no excuse to think poorly.
    Or what if you get shot in the head? Still no excuse to not have a real TQ. Seat belts and helmets won't save you from everything either, but neither ignorance nor obstinate is a reason to not put the odds substantially more in your favor for minimal effort.

Not wearing it (is that a secret requirement?), but my IFAK is as grabbable even now as I lay in bed.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk
    Target Sports

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    The potential need for a tourniquet is absurdly exaggerated by those "Non-MD Trauma Course Teachers".

I have been a Physician 50+ years, spent a decade in Emergency Medicine, 30+ years in vascular areas. Never needed a tourniquet for traumatic bleeding and only saw one needed one time, years ago.

Yes, there are times when a "first responder" may need a tourniquet to control extremity bleeding, but those are very rare.

Airway assistance stuff is much more likely to be needed. I have used ETT's, Ambu bags, & mask/valve devices numerous times.

Good Luck, Amigos

leVieux

leVieux

TSRA/NRA Life Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2013
    The Trans-Sabine
    OK, let me add. . . . . .

IF you are to actually use a tourniquet, you must first realize that there are generally three types/use:

1) To obstruct veins for whatever reason. think like the rubberized strap used to make veins prominent to draw blood form a vein.

2) To impede or obstruct arterial hemorrhage related to trauma.

3) In surgery, to limit blood running into the operative field.

IF one it to use a tourniquet to slow/stop-obstruct traumatic arterial bleeding; one must realize that there is possibility of causing loss of that entire extremity. So, the aim is to SLOW the bleeding, but not to stop it entirely !

Also, while seemingly obvious to most of us, NEVER use a tourniquet on anyone's neck!

Experienced Trauma Surgeons usually recommend trying to stop/slow traumatic arterial bleeding by exerting DIRECT PRESSURE between the heart and the arterial injury bleed site, NOT by "tourniquets".

leVieux

Last edited:

lonestardiver

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 12, 2010
    Eagle Mountain Lake area
    I have several trauma/first aid kits with one in each.
    In EMT school we were to apply it to the point where you could no longer feel the pulse in the extremity since you are trying to reduce/prevent blood loss. We were also instructed to write data/time it was applied on the tourniquet and at the location so those with higher medical knowledge would know how long it has been applied.

PracticalCarry

Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2021
    Cedar Park, Tx
    Maybe he really DOES carry an attorney with him at all times though. :)
    There are times where this would be useful for sure - would need a really odd holster for my attorney and would need to pay attention to the various signs where a concealed attorney may be prohibited. Wonder what those go for these days?

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Pretty much all the recent research shows that tourniquets do not increase the risk of losing a limb or causing increased tissue damage. We have been teaching Stop the Bleed for a few years now and that is a major point in the curriculum. It’s also emphasized in EMT, Advanced EMT, and Paramedic training. I’ve been an adjunct instructor for UTHSCSA for a while and while most of the time we can stop bleeding without one, it’s a useful tool to have on hand. The video shows a DPS trooper who put one on himself after being wounded in a shootout. Bad guy was DRT.

Tourniquet Study Results

Tnhawk

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 7, 2017
    Savannah, TX
    Carrying medical is the latest craze in the younger tacticool crowd from what I've gathered in my Facebook group lurking.

Like Brains, I'm not medically trained. I don't own one. I should get training such as Stop the Bleed but I don't have any right now.
    I'm too old for the tacticool crowd. Decades ago as a scout and later soldier I was taught when a tourniquet was necessary and how to improvise and apply one. Later the Red Cross began teaching not to use them. We were taught they were only to used in life or death situations as loss of a limb, was better than loss of life. I don't carry one -if i need it, I'll do it.

IXLR8

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    Republic of Texas
    I take blood thinners. Not a cardiac condition but required. I always make sure there is a trauma kit nearby. Not a tourniquet, but still has the clotting powder in it.
    Not too long ago, I ripped the skin on my ankle. After applying pressure for while through a pad, I asked my wife to pour some clotting powder on it.
    The obscenities that where heard would make sailor cringe.
    The stuff works but all I can say is DAMN…
    Sometimes good things hurt, Thank god it is available , but the cost is high.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    I have a small bag that I keep in my truck that has some trauma equipment and a few other things to keep me and anyone with me alive until we are able to get more help. In that bag I have a few tourniquets. that being said, across social media I think tourniquets have become more about being cool than about what is most useful.

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    Pretty much all the recent research shows that tourniquets do not increase the risk of losing a limb or causing increased tissue damage. We have been teaching Stop the Bleed for a few years now and that is a major point in the curriculum. It’s also emphasized in EMT, Advanced EMT, and Paramedic training. I’ve been an adjunct instructor for UTHSCSA for a while and while most of the time we can stop bleeding without one, it’s a useful tool to have on hand. The video shows a DPS trooper who put one on himself after being wounded in a shootout. Bad guy was DRT.

Tourniquet Study Results

I wonder if theory of loss of limb being higher with a TQ was because if you died you didnt get an amputation.

Just went through another combat first aid class. Having a buddy apply a TQ or put a knee to your inguinal artery is an exercise in trust.

I have said it before, but I will say it again: of you need a TQ, you dont want to be wasting time trying to improvise one, especially one handed. The C.A.T.s are fast and easy to apply with one hand so you don't bleed out from an arm injury that immobilized it.
    55a7ef5a34ed5ee9e93d2b6911d2d6cf.jpg

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

bigtex10mm

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2021
    Fayette Co.
    I've been certified First Aid/CPR/AED for over 30 years. I am a first responder in my workplace. I carry a fully stocked First Aid Kit in my vehicles because I believe its better to have and not need that need and not have. It's my mantra for many things in my life....like my concealed carry weapon as well. All my kits have tourniquets and I am trained on proper use.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I don't carry a TQ currently because I ran out. But I used them fairly frequently when arriving to shooting scenes before EMS got there. Mainly we used it as a tool to stop the bleeding quickly so that we're free to handle other things that are going on like gathering up witnesses and making sure the witnesses don't steal any evidence before we can secure the crime scene. Leave a pistol on the ground in the hood for too long and it will come up missing before you can get the crime scene tape up.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Top Bottom