Join TexasGunTalk

Who I feel is responsible

Discussion in 'Gun Legislation' started by nlghthawk, Feb 21, 2018.

1. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    My son in law is a Sheriff, he only owns 1 gun, his service pistol.
    He shoots it when he has to qualify, or when I take him.

2. burnt_circuits

burnt_circuits New Member

Feb 29, 2016
    2 years to be clear. You're right 60 hours does not equate to 2 years, however, since you've pointed out I painted myself into a corner if you click through the states and read New York:

The educational requirement for New York police recruits include holding a high school diploma or GED equivalent, plus 60 college credits with a 2.0 GPA from an accredited college or university OR 2 years of full-time active military service in the United States Armed Forces with an honorable discharge and have a high school diploma or its equivalent.

So in that case 2 years active military service can substitute for the 60 hours you want to debate. In that case there may be many police officers in New York who used to be active duty military. The only way we'll know is if you research it I guess.

3. burnt_circuits

Feb 29, 2016
    I guess its easier to debate the time of training than it is to debate that I'm right about most civilians not having the same training as police officers.

The OP is arguing that all gun owners should have the same privileges as trained police officers. I'm just saying lets not demean the job of a police officer and make it seem like we're as qualified as they are because I have a gun or even a CHL. I have both and yet I know there is a level of difference between me and an officer.

At least I hope there is or what are we paying them for? If you're trying to debate whether cops should exist I think that's highjacking the thread.

4. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    Much of the training that police officers have is really not needed for the citizen.

That right there describes a lot of LEOs today. Their gun is just one more tool on their belt.

Back when I lived in Portland I was a member of a private range. There were a couple of shooting instructors there that specialized in helping LEOs pass their qualifications. It was really scary to see how poorly many of those LEOs shot.

There was one officer who came in because she knew she needed help. When she went to shoot she found out her Glock was rusted into a non-functional state. As many of you might know Portland is a wet place. This officer had not cleaned her firearm since her last qualification which was 15 months in the past. She believed that a Glock didn't need to be cleaned or lubed because it was a plastic gun.

I saw more than one officer come in with their Glock in a bag because they had taken it apart to clean it before training and couldn't get it back together.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not the best shot around. But I can keep all my shots on an index card at 5 yards, not all over the target.

5. burnt_circuits

Feb 29, 2016
    You make excellent points and I agree with you. We can and should question the training of officials. However, just like police, all gun owners are not equal. Have you ever had a negligent discharge while carrying or cleaning a gun? Me neither.

However, there are people that have. The OP is advocating for less laws for all gun owners that includes all the bad ones too.

6. TheDan

TheDan 4th Best Member TGT Supporter

Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The OP's video was not demeaning to the police. He simply stated that they can't be there all the time to protect you, and you have to be your own first line of defense.

nlghthawk likes this.
  7. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    When seconds count, cops are only minutes away...

deemus likes this.
  8. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Well-Known

Jan 13, 2017
    Fort Worth
    I have 139 hours of college education ( a degree with honors ) and I spend more range time and training time with firearms than all but probably the swat teams in the DFW area.. I'm there minimum 2 times a month for 5+ hours ... ONE TIME I actually saw a police officer training with his duty weapon... in the past 3 years since I've lived here. I'm sure there were off duty police officers out of uniform, but I wouldn't know it. The cop that lived with me when I rented him a room for about 2 years never trained with is weapon except to qualify.

So excuse me if I call Bullshit on your claim that police are more equal than teachers to deal with these threats. I've never seen a cop in a room full of 30 hoodlums half of whom were probably slinging crack within the last 24 hours. I dealt with that at my last school for 2 years and came out unscathed. Can't say the same for a lot of people. I'll take any psyche evaluation they want I've already taken half a dozen working for the D.O.D and then as an armed guard with a federal GSA license (that means you can carry in courthouses etc) when I was doing duty for the court house in Amarillo.... But yeah you're right I have less business carrying a firearm to protect kids than the cops who will show up after more of them are dead.

Most of the Pro 2A guys (and gals) that are teachers that I know go to the range a lot more than the cops I know. Just because you have a badge doesn't mean you have all that much training when it comes to firearms and response training. It means youve completed your certification. Training levels vary by department and individual. Most are woefully inadequate. (the training regimen not the officers as human beings.)

9. TheMailMan

TheMailMan Well-Known

Dec 3, 2015
    North of Kaufman
    I normally shoot a minimum of 1,000 rounds a month. When the weather cooperates I'll hit the range at least once a week.

I don't know of very many beat cops who shoot that amount.

10. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW

Holy crap. NY allows people with a 2.0 to be cops? That explains some of the stupid stuff we hear NY cops doing.