• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    We've had this house for 2.5yrs and no trouble from the A/C until this summer. The liquid line is just luke warm when it's running so I'm pretty sure it's low on refrigerant. It's a pretty small unit (to go along with our small house). I don't know the exact size, but I've seen window units with a larger compressor :laughing:

Anyone on here able to top it off or recommend someone who can? It's R22... It would be great if we could find the leak as well, but if not it's not a big deal. We're probably going to replace it in a couple years anyway.

DMC

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2009
    Navasota
    R22 is EXPENSIVE these days. You can thank our government and the freon manufactures for that! I still don't understand how a gas that heavy can reach the ozone layer to do any damage.

If I lived closer I'd be glad to give you a pound or so of filtered reclaimed R22. If you have a leak (which you do) your better off getting a new system installed.

If my geothermal heat-pump ever dies I'll probably build my own and use propane as the refrigerant (with an appropriate gas sensor located next to the unit). I am tired of the politics associated with refrigerant approval.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    We had some sort of 'stop leak' added to ours three summers back...it had lost a fair amount of coolant between the inspection and our call(over 3#, IIRC) just a few months later(IF the inspection showed correct numbers). After a year, we had it serviced and it was 'only' down 1#, so I guess the snake oil did SOMEthing. I wouldn't be surprised if it needs topping off for this year; but I'm pretty happy with the results. Our unit is 10 years old(Carrier) and too small for our townhouse(2300 ft), so the day is coming!!! Not looking forward to dealing with it, especially if we move in the next couple of years. Gotta love a south and west exposure with not a tree in sight!!!

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I generally avoid stop leak stuff in all systems, but it might be worth it since I think we'll replace the system in a couple years anyways. We just can't afford to buy a new one this year.

I called Grainger and they have 30lb cylinders of R22 for $638.50; ~$22/lb. There's a company on Amazon selling it for $515 after shipping; $17/lb. I just don't have any justification to buy 30lbs of the stuff...

rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    I generally avoid stop leak stuff in all systems, but it might be worth it since I think we'll replace the system in a couple years anyways. We just can't afford to buy a new one this year.

I called Grainger and they have 30lb cylinders of R22 for $638.50; ~$22/lb. There's a company on Amazon selling it for $515 after shipping; $17/lb. I just don't have any justification to buy 30lbs of the stuff...
    Don't forget you must have the proper EPA certification in order to purchase any CFC refrigerant.

cbigclarke

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 24, 2009
    cypress
    It is when you are as poverty stricken as he is.

My God!! Have you not seen him!? He can't even afford a razor...

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    If you were closer, there's a Freon sniffer in the garage. Vacuum pump too.
    I appreciate the offer, but the wife want's a "pro" job. She's gonna pay for it so she can have whatever she wants :laughing:

Don't forget you must have the proper EPA certification in order to purchase any CFC refrigerant.
    I have the cert, but never put it to good use. You can also buy the refrigerant if you intend to resell it.

It is when you are as poverty stricken as he is.

My God!! Have you not seen him!? He can't even afford a razor...
    True story.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I really appreciate everyone offering to help, but I have to hire someone to take care of it. I was hoping to be able to throw that money at someone on TGT instead of random folks. I have someone coming out tomorrow morning now.

Top Bottom