• ...and so much more!
  • rsayloriii

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    H-Town, TX
    That's a fairly heavy charge for .38.
    Drop it down to 4.0 and see how that goes. Should have a 900fps velocity, give or take.
    Have you measured the diameter of the wadcutters?

I'd have to find a book to double check, but according to their website, you're looking around 3 grains.

Andy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2013
    Dallas, TX
    these wad cutters are 148 grain flat.
    I ran a batch of them with 4.5 gr of Unique and leaded up my gun.

I see where I must have pushed them too fast, which is more than likely the cause of the leading.

that lead is such a booger to get out, I just didn't want to worry about that in the future
    With respect - I doubt that you're pushing a 38 Spl bullet fast enough to strip the lead from the bullet. If it was going 1,200 fps and up, sure, velocity would be an issue but at regular handgun velocities I don't believe that's what's going on.

I'm pretty certain that you'll find that the size of the bullet vs the bore and the cylinder-throats are causing this. As you know, even a difference of 1-thou is sufficient to break the seal and allow gas-cutting - lead stripped off the side of the bullet by the hot gas.

I'd suggest that you take the time to mike each cylinder throat and the bore and see what the results are - and then compare those sizes to the diameter of your bullets; I believe it's highly likely that at least one of them are going to be out of whack. I'm also curious where you're getting leading - in the bore or at certain cylinder-mouths/forcing-cone.

Ole Cowboy

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 23, 2013
    17 Oaks Ranch
    Power coating lead bullets: Now I must say that tweaked my interest, so I turned to some outside sources and in a nutshell this is what I found out:

Overall seems to produce good results by less fouling. Bullets may often need to be resized, but you can check that out. A lot of folks thinks it improves the overall performance and they can run a hotter load as a result. Mostly it seems to be a good idea...BUT and there is always a BUT:

Its a DIY gig, but be careful as you are dealing with volatile chemicals and noxious gases. You need a dedicated oven. None of these are stoppers and you can get it quite cheaply.

You make the call

bryonbush

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 17, 2010
    Terrell
    what method do you use? did you get the gun or do you shake and bake?
    i bought the gun from sears that was around $30 bucks off ebay. i glued on a bunch of 38 cases to a cookie pan and place the bullets nose down in the cases. coat, bake, resize done

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    PC is easy, clean, no bad chemicals, no leaded barrel. 2400+ fps from 308 easy, 2 MOA @ 100 easy with 50/50 COWW & pure. HF gun or shake & bake for 30/30 plinkers. No first shot flyers either, @ 30F.

Vern1

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 27, 2011
    Pettytown, Texas US of A
    No, I can cut and paste to my heart's content on every website except TGT. TGT also ignores many of my keystrokes and won't allow new paragraphs.

Check your OpSys language driver and make sure it is set to English(US).
    You may have a nonstandard language driver installed that throws weird keyboard characters.
    I once installed an English(UK) language package by accident and it had some interesting spellcheck errors....always wanted to change color to colour...etc..LOL!
    If that doesn't work, your device is haunted or possessed....possibly both....and more!

And to keep on thread...
    Powdercoating is pretty easy, painless and safe but if you don't want powder on everything within 15', you need to set up a small booth to contain it.
    The system uses static electricity to draw the powder from the gun to the part and can zap you quite well on occasion - I learned to touch the gun tip to the ground before and after each part sprayed so it doesn't zap you if you accidently touch the tip....it's stings pretty good sometimes!

I use an old kitchen oven for baking lots of stuff...just make sure you use electric and not gas.
    You can move the grills up and down to hang parts from or set a tray on them.
    I stripped out the burners and wiring for them and put a piece of aluminum on top for a work surface.

You will need a small air compressor to drive the powder gun also.

That being said, I've never tried coating a lead bullet as the only ones I shoot are in blackpowder smokepoles.

40GlockShooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2014
    Check out Precision Bullets in Kemp Texas....they have a Moly coated bullet that is VERY good. They have a web site, they have pistol calibers from 9mm to 45acp

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    these wad cutters are 148 grain flat.
    I ran a batch of them with 4.5 gr of Unique and leaded up my gun......

Unique is often referred to as "burning dirt". It will foul a barrel in record time. (Supposedly the "new" version is cleaner, but I have not vouched for that.)

I've never really had big problems with removing lead. It's a bit more work, but not that bad.

popper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2013
    Get a convection toaster oven, some HF red PC ($5/#) roll some around in a #5 plastic coolwhip tub, set on non-stick alum. foil in the oven & bake @ 400F for 1 hr, WD load & shoot. Did MOA @ 100 in 308 with 16 gr. 2400, no Gc, ~ 15-1600 fps. Woks great in 9mm & 40SW also. Size is STILL king. No leading, no smoke, cheap & easy. Bayou boolits & Gateway bullets also sell coated pistol bullets.

Last edited:
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom