Who lives next to a freeway?

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
I live in a quiet, beautiful old subdivision. It has large lots and lots of fully mature trees because back when it was built, developers didn't start off by bulldozing everything. It's not fancy and it's definitely middle-class (at most) but it's special to me.

This morning I reached into my mailbox and found a note from the homeowner's association that covered a few local topics, including the fact that our contact information had been requested concerning a local roadbuilding project. The Exxon HQ is going in about 2 miles as the crow flies from my front door and the entire area is undergoing frenzied development. Now I find out that the people who are building the closest section of the Grand Parkway want to be able to contact me.

This sorta brought home to me something I've known for a couple of years but hadn't really taken to heart. In a short period of time, as these things go, I will be living within a literal stones throw (assuming I can use a slingshot) of a freeway. I'll probably have a direct line-of-sight through the trees behind the houses across the street from me owing to the fact that this section will be elevated. Thankfully, there will be no exits or interchange near me, just a grade separation.

For those of you with experience, what's it like living next to a freeway?

Vaquero

San Saba Songbird
Apr 4, 2011
Out West
Used to live by I-20.
Right near a truckstop exit.
Wasn't bad except for the jake brake noise.

Anger

Well-Known
Jan 7, 2010
Washington MI (glorious in summer)
My first home (in Detroit) was on the far side of a city park, on the other side of which was I-94. I-94 was built in a ditch vs at grade, but it was still very easy to hear the traffic at certain times. I didn't like it but I got used to it. I moved into it in that condition, unlike your situation.

Sugar Land

TGT Addict
TGT Supporter
Apr 7, 2012
Sugar Land Texas
Enjoy the ambient noise level now because that will increase. When I lived a couple blocks from 59 when it was two lanes and couldn't hear it. After they put the 2 or 3 hundred lanes in the ambient went up by several db.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
Staff member
Lifetime Member
Admin
Nov 22, 2011
Spring
I moved into it in that condition, unlike your situation.
Actually, the reason this freeway is elevated for almost a mile is that it will be running directly over the top of train tracks. It's gonna be a monstrosity, just huge. I expect that having a roof overhead will make the train noise worse; nowadays I rarely notice the trains.

I'm familiar with freeway noise from above, having visited in a highrise next to a very busy freeway. That constant drone would have driven me nuts. I am sure this won't be as bad. But I am a bit worried that train horns bouncing off a concrete roof overhead will penetrate my consciousness more often.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
This depends on the person. I had a family member hate a beautiful expensive house and sell it because of the semi noise on the interstate. The interstate was actually pretty far away and most of the time i visited i barely noticed the noise. He was retired, home all day and focused on it.

Dont go out like that.

As far as the train goes, maybe they can install local horns on the lights so they dont use the big boy horn on the engine.

Savage805

blueberry in tomato soup
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2013
paradise, ATX
You can hear it at night especially in cool weather, sound travels quite well when it's cold. You might consider a little more insulation in the roof. It's not as bad as the thumping car stereos and the helicopters though. Like Breakingcontact said try not to dwell on it.

breakingcontact

TGT Addict
Oct 16, 2012
Indianapolis
You can hear it at night especially in cool weather, sound travels quite well when it's cold. You might consider a little more insulation in the roof. It's not as bad as the thumping car stereos and the helicopters though. Like Breakingcontact said try not to dwell on it.
Big difference in cold weather. I wouldnt sweat it too bad though sounds like youve got some decent distance between you and the new road. You see nice newer houses 30-40 feet off of the highways pretty often.

Sponsors

Greeneye Tactical
Texas Gun Forum Ad
silencers
third coast
Ranier
Tyrant Designs
DK Firearms

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members