• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Glockster69

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 1, 2011
    As the crow flies, I live 1/2 mile from a very busy interstate highway. We have lots of trees, so the noise gets attenuated, except for the ass hats who use exhaust brakes going down hill.

I've rigged up a CB radio in my man cave, and occasionally listen to truck traffic. When an out of town trucker asks for directions, I always give him a route that does not go through my hearing space.

The airport and train noises are more offensive, however.

After a few years, you get older, lose your hearing, and everything is nothing but a little background noise.

I will not tolerate a barking dog!

By your own admission you can barely hear, the fuel and schedule to meet is not yours so you're just effin with a working man. What a treasure.
    Gun Zone Deals

Gilgondorin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2012
    San Antonio
    If you're talking about pure road expansion, I don't know how much I can tell you. With big city expansion like SA however, you definitely notice it when it really kicks in.

Back in the day we used to live in an unincorporated rural area, and now we're incorporated and in the 'burbs because of SA's expansion -- you can't tell you're in a different "City of" anymore if you miss the lone TXDOT sign that says it now, among all the others.

I'm not saying my situation is the same as yours because with luck, you'll only be dealing with semi's every once in a while, but here in the city we definitely notice the increased-usage sound from a 5-lane road about the same distance away.... And it kinda sucks. Granted, we don't have a highway overpass or anything like that, but what used to be a sleepy road bordered on all sides by trees or a quiet housing subdivision or two for miles at a stretch, has now become a noise factory. As somebody said earlier, you get used to it or it stays in the background for the most part, except when the jerks with ricers or crotch rocket bikes make a fun run up the empty stretch, usually at all hours of the night when there's no cops or traffic out. There's helo noise from car chases or I don't even know what (we'll have periods when a lone copter will basically just run in circles for an hour over the two subdivisions in our area), ambulances and firetrucks about twice to three times a day and night that incite the dogs in the area to bawling like wolves, and traffic is a real drag since the 2 major street intersections (one at the entrance to the subdivision, and one up the street from it) nearby have become the #1 spot for car accidents in our entire area; it's like people drive with their eyes closed -- at a 4 way stop light!

There being a wal-mart about 10 minutes' walk from my house across a grass field doesn't help the situation any. I can remember when the only restaurant in the area was a "Border Town" Taco Bell 2.6 miles up the road.... And within 10 years, we now have so many new businesses in the area, it seems like you can't go 200 yards without running into someone or something, bunched up together in strip malls or some such.

On the bright side, your house value goes up because you're in a prime location. Yay!
    On the down side, your blood pressure goes up because you're in a prime location. Boo. :/

Last edited:

GPtwins

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 15, 2009
    Sachse, Tx
    I live about a half mile from Prs. George Bush toll way. The tollway is elevated about 15 feet off the ground behind my house to keep it out of the flood plane. That puts it just above my fence line and about level with my back patio. The traffic will drown out the gun range but the birds in the bushes at sunset will drown out the sound of traffic. I had the good sense to plant some evergreens when the NTTA decided to move the route further north than originally planned. That was about six years before they finished the road behind my house. The trees grew in nicely and I don't much see the highway, either. I do not hear the traffic from the highway when in the house and during light traffic times it is quite a soothing wight noise. During high traffic times it can be quite loud outdoors on the patio but I got used to it. I also piped music to the patio so I can drown out the traffic if i choose.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Chasewhat0
    Top Bottom