Patriot Mobile

Who makes the most reliable magazines for the 1911?...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I have Wilson, Mecgar, and one Kimber mag. All are 8 round mags. I had some trouble with the Mecgars at first, the ones that came with the 1911, but replaced the springs and followers with Wilson springs and followers and they work fine now. No problems with the Wilsons or the Kimber so far. It could have been just the break in period. Also, it's 45 ACP. Don't know if there is any difference between the 9mm and 45 mags as far as reliability.
    Guns International

Danny2021

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2020
    Terrell
    No experience with 9 mm mags.

Check-mate makes excellent .45 mags. I believe they make the mags for Sig and Ed Brown as well.

Only had a problem with maybe one 1911 mag, an old no name mag I inherited.

I've used the Check-Mate brand in my Colt 1911 .45acp for years and never had a failure with them. Sorry but I've got no experience with 9mm 1911s. I also recommend with the Wilson Combat mags for .45acp and Chip McCormick as well.

My $.02

Danny

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    I don't see that.

a7aa3eece76e150aee74071fdc15fbe9.jpg

Oh, my bad. I was meaning for getting a couple 9mm pachmayers to work better.

seeker_two

My posts don't count....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    That place east of Waco....
    Mec-gar are my goto mags. They make many if not most OEM mags and I've never had an issue with any mec-gar mag.

I did have a few Wilson mags that were shit and wouldnt work in any 1911 I tried them in but that's a rare occurrence. Never bought another.
    Second the Mec-Gar mags. They're made to work in a variety of pistols. Wilson mags have tight tolerances that may not work in some guns.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    With all of the different 1911's I've had and all the different mags I've used, I've only ever had 1 mag issue in any of my 1911's and it was a Mec-Gar mag that wouldn't reliably feed in my Kimber. I was at the range with another forum member at the time, and he tried it in his S&W 1911 and it ran great. AFAIK, he's still using it.

Of course, none of those 1911's mentioned were in 9mm. I'm sure they behave somewhat differently.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Made the mistake of buying some 1911 10mm Kimber mags before experimenting.
    Turns out the Kimber do not function worth a flip in Kimber guns. The swage of the feed lips is incorrect. The factory Colt mags work perfectly. Side by side you can easily see the difference in the feed lips. The Kimber mag holds the round too long during slide close. So stovepipe jams are frequent. The Colt mags let the base of the round loose earlier so it feeds better.

Aus_Schwaben

First to know - Last to care!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 31, 2019
    Abilene, TX
    I guess I got lucky then as I found several Chip McCormick mags for my 45 in a box the other day. I bought them in '13 and forgot about them.

TXP

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Ten years ago when I was going through my 1911 phase, I had good luck with these brands.
    Wilson
    Chip M.
    Tripp
    Checkmate

The Wilson mags seemed to be the best overall, but I wouldn't have a problem buying any of them again. Metalform worked, but not on par with the craftsmanship of the others.

Didn't use any Mec-Gar, but they are my go to manufacturer for any other gun when the OE mags are unavailable or too damn expensive.

I probably don't have to say it, but stay away from Pro Mag if possible. Not sure they even make a 1911 mag like you are looking for.

saltydog452

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2010
    TX
    Specifically a Commander/Full size 9mm. Even more specifically, ten (10) round mags.

No or, maybe, everyone. The various companies who made 1911 pattern equipment had quality control oversight performed by dedicated inspectors. These inspectors tried to ensure that all pieces fit according to blueprint and performed. Millions did. Now it seems that everyone and their offshore cousins are producing aftermarket items that maybe might perform as did the war time items. Crap shoot as they, mostly, are made to fit to a specified price point.

CheckMate magazines have fed, extracted, and ejected every round that confirmed to the profile of G.I. hardball in my unmolested colts C, Norincos 1911a1 copies, and single Argentine 1911a1. If it matters, the now out of print H&G #68 when seated to Ball depth and O.A.L. conforms to the feed profile of G.I. Ball.

T.M.I.

cjklekar

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Texas
    I've had great success with Wilson Combat and Tripp Research magazines. Drove out to Bastrop one afternoon to purchase some Tripp 9mm mags directly from them.

Gummi Bear

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2015
    Arlington
    Wilson, Colt and Springfield have all been good to me

I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately...

Henry David Thoreau

Byrd666

Flyin' 'round in circles........somewhere
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hill County
    It would appear as though I might have a bit of trial and error experimenting coming up in my future.

Thanks to all

Top Bottom