• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    A properly tuned 2 stroke will sputter under no load.
    Under load, it will smooth out and produce peak power.
    I wore out a few saws back in the day.
    Honestly, the best I ever ran was a craftsman branded pouland back in the early 80s. It came with a 20" bar and chain.
    Once that wore out I put an 18" set on it. It would cut hard heart mesquite like nobody's business. I let it go at a moving sale in 06.
    I had a Craftsman /poulan in the 90s that would not restart after 1 tank of fuel..vapor lock..
    I threw it over a hill in Shackleford County while working on a hunting lease and I guess its still out there
    Lynx Defense

Vaquero

Moving stuff to the gas prices thread.....
    Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I had a Craftsman /poulan in the 90s that would not restart after 1 tank of fuel..vapor lock..
    I threw it over a hill in Shackleford County while working on a hunting lease and I guess its still out there
    I probably could have made it fun like a scalded ape.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    A properly tuned 2 stroke will sputter under no load.
    Under load, it will smooth out and produce peak power.
    I wore out a few saws back in the day.
    Honestly, the best I ever ran was a craftsman branded pouland back in the early 80s. It came with a 20" bar and chain.
    Once that wore out I put an 18" set on it. It would cut hard heart mesquite like nobody's business. I let it go at a moving sale in 06.
    gasoline chainsaws are meant to be run at wide open speedstrying to run them at low speeds will oil foul the spark plugpretty quickly!

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    last year i needed to get a new chainsaw and decided to go battery powered instead of another gasoline powered one got a skil brand 40 volt 14 inch and it does everything i need a chainsaw forand all my olpoulon chainsaw bars and chains fit on it as well!

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    I like the battery saws for small stuff.
    The torque is impressive. But the chain speed is less than desirable.
    Cuts are not real clean.
    For trimming and small diameter stuff. The battery saws are great.
    For large diameter logs, and cleaner cuts, I want a gas powered saw.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    I like the battery saws for small stuff.
    The torque is impressive. But the chain speed is less than desirable.
    Cuts are not real clean.
    For trimming and small diameter stuff. The battery saws are great.
    For large diameter logs, and cleaner cuts, I want a gas powered saw.
    ihave cut some pretty decent sized logs with mine one important thingis they really need a sharp chain to cut wellso far mine has impressed the hellout of me of what it's capablef cuttindown

Vaquero

Staff member
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 4, 2011
    Dixie Land
    And WTF happened to "Oregon " bars and chains?
    All I can find now are store branded crap.
    County line, Home Depot, Lowes /China shit.
    This is a bigger deal to me than the name on the power head.

Dawico

Uncoiled
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Lampasas, Texas
    Echo spent a lot of time and energy trying to move into the forefront of the commercial market. They do well there now and many prefer them.

I hear good things but have never owned one.

AZ Refugee

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    My dad bought an Echo in 2021 from Home Depot. It seems to be a decent saw that is better than a Homelite or Poulan, yet less e,pensive than a Stihl.

Reactions: gll

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Yep Axxe55 - Although it is off-topic, I had an Echo weedeater that was awesome. Even got driven over by a truck - I didn't do it - and it kept working for years. I'd preferably buy a Stihl chainsaw, but the one I used (Farm Boss) was a bad-ass and felt like it - very heavy case. The Echo's with the same bar length were a lot lighter. I just inherited a 16" Husqvarna - it's been sitting on a shelf with gas in it for years. Going to try to resuscitate it - right after I get that 9mm case stuck in my sizing die out.

Same here on both counts. Echo trimmer works like a charm. I use the canned pre-mix gas and it fires up quick and runs like a scalded dog. I’ve had zero trouble with it.

I also have a Sthil 12” arbor saw that runs great.

Either brand is quality and I’d buy either again. That Stihl saw is the best I’ve owned.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    last year i needed to get a new chainsaw and decided to go battery powered instead of another gasoline powered one got a skil brand 40 volt 14 inch and it does everything i need a chainsaw forand all my olpoulon chainsaw bars and chains fit on it as well!

HD had a Ryobi battery saw (12”?) on sale for $100. I bought it. It works good and is very light. I use it fir small limbs as it tends to throw the chain more than my gas saw.

But it uses the same batteries as my drills and saws. Very convenient.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    HD had a Ryobi battery saw (12”?) on sale for $100. I bought it. It works good and is very light. I use it fir small limbs as it tends to throw the chain more than my gas saw.

But it uses the same batteries as my drills and saws. Very convenient.
    iirc i paid $179 for mine at lowesthat was the saw battery and chargerand caseplus skil makes other yard power tools that use the same batteryiplan on getting th pole sawand weedeater next

TxPython357

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2022
    Spuger, TX
    I used to sell Echo back in another life. Good quality at a good price. I know back then Tree's Inc. used Echo exclusively on all their trucks. I owned one myself for many years and it took down many a tree and did a lot of clean up after storms.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I ordered a Black & Decker 10" electric chain saw just to cut and clean up some of the broken branches from the ice storm. So we'll see how that works out.

Meanwhile, Project Farm:

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Supposedly, made in Japan, not china.

That's a fairly good particular, but I don't know anyone who owns one.

If you do, please sound off...like it/hate it?

After 12 or so years of service, my Husqvarna can't be used any longer. It won't stop leaking gas and so far is un-fixable...
    Have the rechargeable battery Echo. Tossed the 16” bar that took the narrower, pain in the ass chain to sharpen and put a regular 13” bar on and absolutely love it. Great battery life for working on property, and big enough for 95% of what I need it for.

Top Bottom