Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 23, 2009
    North Texas
    Level means sustained human-to-human transmission is causing outbreaks

Full Story:
    [URL]http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/30398682/?GT1=43001#storyContinued

Situation in the United States
    As of 1:00 PM ET on April 27, 2009, CDC has confirmed 40 human cases of swine flu in the United States:
    • California: 7 cases
    • Kansas: 2 cases
    • New York City: 28 cases
    • Ohio: 1 case
    • Texas: 2 cases
    The following is from CDC:

Of these 40 cases, there have been zero deaths. Only one has been hospitalized. All 40 have fully recovered.
    For more information, please see the CDC Swine Flu website.
    Situation in Mexico
    At this time, CDC recommends that U.S. travelers avoid all nonessential travel to Mexico.
    As of April 27, 2009, the Government of Mexico has reported 18 laboratory confirmed human cases of swine influenza A/H1N1 infection. Investigation is continuing to clarify the spread and severity of the disease in Mexico. Suspect clinical cases have been reported in 19 of the country's 32 states. The World Health Organization (WHO), the Global Alert and Response Network (GOARN), and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) have sent experts to Mexico to work with health authorities. CDC has confirmed that seven of 14 respiratory specimens sent to CDC by the Mexican National Influenza Center are positive for swine influenza virus and are similar to the swine influenza viruses recently identified in the United States.
    On April 25, the WHO Director-General declared this event a Public Health Emergency of International Concern under the rules of the International Health Regulations. CDC and state public and animal health authorities are currently investigating 20 cases of swine flu in humans in California, Texas, Kansas, Ohio, and New York City. Some of the U.S. cases have been linked to travel to Mexico. CDC is concerned that continued travel by U.S. travelers to Mexico presents a serious risk for further outbreaks of swine flu in the United States.
    For more information, please see the full Travel Health Warning for Mexico posted on April 27, 2009.
    What You Can Do to Stay Healthy
    There are everyday actions people can take to stay healthy.
    • Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze. Throw the tissue in the trash after you use it.
    • Wash your hands often with soap and water, especially after you cough or sneeze. Alcohol-based hands cleaners are also effective.
    • Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth. Germs spread that way.
    Try to avoid close contact with sick people.
    • Influenza is thought to spread mainly person-to-person through coughing or sneezing of infected people.
    • If you get sick, CDC recommends that you stay home from work or school and limit contact with others to keep from infecting them
    [/URL]
    Target Sports

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    This is going to be as bad as SARS! It'll be as bad as the avian flu! Heck, I bet it'll even be as bad as West Nile virus!

Oh wait.. those three turned out to be nothing, too.

Sorry if I sound like I don't care (but I don't :p), but I've seen too many of these false starts from the media to buy it this time.

Libertarian_Longhorn

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2009
    This is going to be as bad as SARS! It'll be as bad as the avian flu! Heck, I bet it'll even be as bad as West Nile virus!

Oh wait.. those three turned out to be nothing, too.

Sorry if I sound like I don't care (but I don't :p), but I've seen too many of these false starts from the media to buy it this time.

+1

dee

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 22, 2008
    Red River Way
    Yea as of 6 they shut one of our schools down and maybe more by 10. Also all UIL events have been postponed to later dates.

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    I think a large number of confirmed cases have ties to Mexico.

Nonetheless, Fort Worth ISD, yes, the whole district, is closed through May 8. Cleburne ISD is also closed.

I got word tonight from an LISD (Lewisville ISD) insider that they are considering something similar. This is nuts.....

JKTex

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 11, 2008
    DFW, North Texas
    now this is going to recede the economy even more, kids out of school, parents either pay for babysitters, or take off work to watch their kids...

either way this is going to cost us, if my kids' (nwisd) ISD is going to close...

for something that is just a flu that most will survive without even serious medicine is just mass panicking of the american populous to a rediculous extent...

now i can't hear ANY form of news without hearing about this crap...

Yep, and they're strongly urging those kids to be kept at home and not allowed to be in placed where multiple kids gather, like day care. People will have to take off as I'm sure some Day Care's may close.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Even though a situation like this can actually be pretty bad, I for one am sick and tired of the constant doom and gloom and fear mongering present in the media these days. They just seem to play up every thing they can and turn even the smallest issues into big ones. It's pretty darn annoying. :banghead::banghead::banghead:

Thor

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    N Central Texas
    I've heard that the WHO will raise the threat level to level 6 within the next couple of days. Sure seems as if this is to distract us from something more important that is happening.

stockFD3S

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2008
    Leon Valley, TX
    I'm ready for it at work!

7173429.jpg

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    Looks like Yoda.

Yoda: dispensing wisdom and sugar since 1980.

Meanwhile, back on the topic, WHO raised the "look at me, look at me!" alert level to 5 today.

Are they short on funding or something? This just reeks of "we're not relevant, but we need to seem that way".

Top Bottom