• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A_FIVE-O

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 6, 2009
    Houston-Laredo
    The first Nintendo, Duck Hunt baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

My family wasn't much for hunting or guns/rifles so I had to turn to my friend's dad's.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    My dad wasn't a big hunter, but we did a little bit. I had fun hunting squirrels, but we only did that a few times. Squirrels just aren't that good to eat. Squirrels are more of a marksmanship challenge than a hunting challenge, too. It's not like those tree rats really try to hide from you, lol.

My dad would go deer hunting every year, but I just couldn't get into it as a kid. I didn't have the patients to sit in a deer stand for hours on end. I wish I had paid more attention to it now though because I'd very much like to start hunting, but don't really know where to begin.

Anyone have any suggested reading or any other tips for adults just getting started in hunting? Are those guided hunts you pay for worth it for learning how to do it on your own?

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    If you go on a guided hunt make sure the guide knows you're a novice and that you're trying to learn from them most should be willing to explain the basics and what they are doing and why. or check out stuff like field and stream and other stuff the internet can be a great tool as well.

Huntinggal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    dallas
    My dad taught me about hunting when I was little and then I didn't really go much as a teen. In recent years my husband has helped refresh my memory and we have been hunting together.

cuate

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2009
    Comanche Co., Texas
    Grandpaw, we hunted doves every day when he came home from his office, except rain and snow. We never heard of Dove Season, we never saw a Game Warden, Grandmother cooked the birds for supper....We were on our own place and we didn't kill birds for the hell of it, just a few....Me a 7 year old with a .20 guage and "Papa" with his twelve....70 years ago....

desperado8556

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Spring
    My father taught me how to shoot with a .243 bolt action. Never started with irons, went straight to scope. He taught me how to walk in the woods and since i don't like to sit in deer stands for long periods of time, i like to roam the lease, of course staying away from my fellow hunters' stands and field of fire.

The military taught me how to shoot with iron sights. Due to my years using a scope, i had to give my Soldiers tips on how to aim with an ACOG.

Top Bottom