• Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Was hunting powder today and couldn't find any of the ones I had hoped for so I found myself looking at what was on the wall and punching it it to the Hodgdon sight to see if I could use it.

Found Hodgdon lists autocomp as a load for everything from 9mm to .45 and .38 spcl/.357.

Picked up 2 lbs cause I figure I could make it work for something but now I can't find a load for it in my Lyman manual for anything.

Seems to get mixed reviews in a google search. Anybody try it or find a load they like?

Deavis

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 20, 2011
    Austin
    I've run it in most pistol calibers, it isn't anything that I would go out of my way for. It doesn't do anything in terms of velocity or SD that I can't accomplish with other powders. Hodgdon advertises it as a high gas producing powder for comp guns, which may be true, but I've never tested it that way.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I was staring at the manual earlier and something clicked in my head. I pulled out the paperwork that came with the die sets and they DO list autocomp.

I was doing some google foo and came across the same info about creating more gas. Got a chrono on order and curious to see if it does anything for 9mm in a carbine length barrel.

I agree that (judging by the load data) it doesn't do anything special, but it was available and that's more than I can say for my usual powders. Gotta work with what I can find.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    I think I still have a little bit. I tried it years ago and it was just ok. It was supposed to provide a bit more gas to help keep velocity up on pistols with compensators on them.

There was nothing particularly bad about it, but it's just not better than other powders.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I plan to go back for a couple more pounds, and maybe a couple pounds of blue dot Monday.

Or primers. Always need more primers.

Texasjack

TGT Addict
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Occupied Texas
    Who can find it? Any one seen any Power Pistol in the last two years?
    Take what you can find and be happy.

I saw a booth with Power Pistol for sale at the Conroe gun show today. I've still got several pounds that I don't use. It's great stuff for 9mm, which I no longer load, but nothing special for .45ACP or .40S&W. Too bad you're not local, noylj.

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2011
    Heart of Texas
    yes, but I am native...

Didn't know that. I was wondering how you found your way here.

We're forced to buy what we can find these days, but if you can find it, there's no beter powder for high performance 9mm loads than Silhouette. Pretty much the same for .40 S&W and I've also used it with good results in .45 ACL defense handloads, although my preference is becoming True Blue with cast or jacketed in .45 ACP and excellent accuracy loads in 9mm and .40 S&W.

Top Bottom