• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    Y'all ever driven one? The power they have is bonkers. I'd have one for my daily driver if the price was right, but it'll be a long time before I give up my truck. I go on too many multi-hundred mile trips every year.
    I have driven a couple, and they are quick but for some reason it still doesn’t seem as cool as a sports car. You could also probably put that much power into plenty of other vehicles for a lot less money.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Eh.. They have their place, just not in my driveway.

I look forward to seeing them litter the streets of the low rent apartments that surround my neighborhood. Like the current crop of 10-15 year old European cars. Third, maybe fourth owners. Could have gotten a Honda or Toyota for the same money but the Euro was such a great deal. Selling for 20% of what it was new. And the status! They drive it for six months or a year maybe and it breaks. Cost to repair is way outside their means, so it sits. Eventually a tire gets flattened. Then, one of the windows gets busted. A mirror is broken off. After a few of the bright orange abandoned car stickers. It gets towed.

I see this with Tesla. They are not fixable unless you go to a Tesla service center, and that’s not going to be cheap. I think that as more batteries come up for replacement on the earlier teslas, more folks are going to become aware of the huge replacement costs. When that happens, I see the value drop like a rock after they get a few years old. No different than the Euro cars.

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Eh.. They have their place, just not in my driveway.

I look forward to seeing them litter the streets of the low rent apartments that surround my neighborhood. Like the current crop of 10-15 year old European cars. Third, maybe fourth owners. Could have gotten a Honda or Toyota for the same money but the Euro was such a great deal. Selling for 20% of what it was new. And the status! They drive it for six months or a year maybe and it breaks. Cost to repair is way outside their means, so it sits. Eventually a tire gets flattened. Then, one of the windows gets busted. A mirror is broken off. After a few of the bright orange abandoned car stickers. It gets towed.

I see this with Tesla. They are not fixable unless you go to a Tesla service center, and that’s not going to be cheap. I think that as more batteries come up for replacement on the earlier teslas, more folks are going to become aware of the huge replacement costs. When that happens, I see the value drop like a rock after they get a few years old. No different than the Euro cars.
    I'd like to see how apartment dwellers are going to deal with electric cars. Where are they going to charge them?
    The amount of amps needed to charge them at a decent rate if only 25% of the apartments got electric cars would exceed the capacity of the incoming electric lines.

dsgrey

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2015
    Denton County
    I read an article yesterday that GM dealers are doing a huge business repairing Teslas. Dealers are independent and due to the lack of Tesla service centers, GM dealers are doing a brisk business since they've invested in EV technology.

Now, would I own one? Ugly and no. Spouse has a Honda hybrid with under 5k on the odometer and it's had a few quirks that I'm not pleased with so I'll let everyone else solve their EV issues first.

Trailhunting72

Outdoors & Motorsports
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Houston, TX
    Y'all ever driven one? The power they have is bonkers. I'd have one for my daily driver if the price was right, but it'll be a long time before I give up my truck. I go on too many multi-hundred mile trips every year.
    So true. I have a M3P (Performance version), and thing flies 0-60 in 3.0 seconds. Holds traction perfectly. But, downside is any long. distance driving and you can be SOL. Sometimes was getting 170miles to a full charge above 75mph and then had to stop!

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Like anything else...
    I don't give an flying ph@#k what you drive.
    Don't force me into anything.
    Don't force me outta anything.
    When the technology is mature, i.e. charging infrastructure and storage, the free market will ensure they are cheap and plentiful.

Last edited:

Trailhunting72

Outdoors & Motorsports
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2022
    Houston, TX
    A lot of hate here for Tesla and EV tech. I am a true enthusiast and build high horsepower motorsport cars for a living and still own them to this day. The EV tech will stay, grow and become the norm in the future. They can take high amounts of abuse in addition to virtually zero maintenance aside from tires. It is what it is, but I will continue to enjoy ICE vehicles and collect them.

Tblack89

Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 3, 2022
    Hutto tx
    Call me when I can drive across country when ever I want and not spend any more time looking fir or charging than I do for gas.

Untill then it's a gimmick
    My woman came home 1 day and said she was getting gas and noticed people standing by their car while charging it. She asked how long do they sit there? I said until the fucker is charged enough to get em where they wanna go. She said **** that and now laughs when she’s done getting gas and they are still sitting for god knows how long.

Grumps21

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 28, 2021
    Houston
    Two words. Planned obsolescence. My $500 phone is good for 4, maybe 5 years? Heck, the legacy Onstar is no longer supported and the ones still in operation are bricked. 3g is gone, so cars with that tech lost some function. How are the EVs any different? $100 says I can drive 5 miles in any direction and see at least 2 or 3 thirty year old cars still in operation. I’d see probably 100 or so 20 year old cars still on the road. I don‘t see that being the case with any EVs. Even if they can get the batteries to a reasonable replacement cost, it’s the unsupported software that I think will kill the older EVs.

Havok1

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2021
    US
    A lot of hate here for Tesla and EV tech. I am a true enthusiast and build high horsepower motorsport cars for a living and still own them to this day. The EV tech will stay, grow and become the norm in the future. They can take high amounts of abuse in addition to virtually zero maintenance aside from tires. It is what it is, but I will continue to enjoy ICE vehicles and collect them.
    Well, yeah. Because everyone is being forced to switch to electric. Currently, it is not better. The maintenance argument is not exactly true. You may avoid oil changes every 7-10k miles, but when the battery has to be replaced, it will be more expensive than a lifetime of maintenance on all but the most expensive ICE vehicles, and that cost basically makes the EV worthless at that point. It will improve in time, but it is not there yet, and that is why there is such little demand for them at the moment.

Top Bottom