• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Fishhooker

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2016
    Alvarado
    A couple years ago I got a call from my bank on Father's Day asking about some suspicious charges. I was in Denver, my card was being used in Dallas. I got the fraud case opened and did some work on my end. One of the charges was at Specs Liquor, who I know has a plethora of cameras. I called there and talked to the manager- he pulled the tape from the day in question and confirmed yes, they had video of the person from several angles, and that he was using a Visa Gift Card that was linked to my account.

I asked him if he could hold onto the tape so I could notify Dallas PD. I called the PD and was routed over to their CC fraud division. Got voicemail. Left them a message with my info, contact info for the Specs manager with the videotape, and told them that this could likely be a large fraud ring, as they were equipped well enough to skim cards and then reprogram Visa Gift Cards with the stolen card info (probably so they won't be asked for ID when using it).

This was Monday, the day after Father's Day. They finally call me back.... about 2 weeks before Christmas. 6 freaking months to tell me that they just don't have the manpower to track down small scale fraud.
    DK Firearms

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    This is the reason I don't use a debit card but I understand why some prefer it over a credit card. I am glad to hear your bank took care of you. I know credit card companies have a proven record of doing so. I wasn't sure about banks with debit cards.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oohrah

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 24, 2013
    Heart O' Texas
    I'm on my fourth or fifth credit card in the last 2-3 years, due to ID theft/compromise. No idea how they got my info, but I've never lost a penny, never had to be reimbursed, just the hassle of waiting for new cards in the mail.

Notice I said "credit" card. You have much more protection. If your debit card is compromised, they can clean out your bank account. The only use for my debit card is at ATMs for cash at known reputable locations.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I'm on my fourth or fifth credit card in the last 2-3 years, due to ID theft/compromise. No idea how they got my info, but I've never lost a penny, never had to be reimbursed, just the hassle of waiting for new cards in the mail.

Notice I said "credit" card. You have much more protection. If your debit card is compromised, they can clean out your bank account. The only use for my debit card is at ATMs for cash at known reputable locations.

Ditto to everything said.

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    Every time you use a pump, give it a firm tug before sliding it in. :clown:

giphy.gif

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Never use your PIN on a standard transaction. Period. It's next to impossible to get refunded on fraud, you got lucky - ask me how I know!
    I strongly suggest getting - and using - an actual Credit Card for day-to-day transactions, and using the ATM/Debit Card only for transactions involving a bank! Credit cards offer a lot of fraud protection, debit cards offer next to none - especially if they get your PIN.

Eli

Debit cards today have the same fraud protection CC have. Evidenced by the OPs dealings with his bank. Under federal law, if you notify your bank within two business days your liability is limited to $50. The same dollar amount of liability for credit cards.

Eli

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 28, 2008
    Ghettohood - SW Houston

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I'd really like to see some source for that - I'm still told that there are vast differences. https://www.consumer.ftc.gov/articles/0213-lost-or-stolen-credit-atm-and-debit-cards

Eli

Federal law limits credit card holders' liability for fraudulent charges to $50. Debit card holders, on the other hand, are liable for $50 if they report fraud within two days and up to $500 if they report within 60 days. After 60 days, customers are generally on the hook for all fraudulent debit card charges. General purpose reloadable prepaid debit cards don't have any legal protections, though that is expected to change soon, notes Christina Tetreault, staff attorney for Consumers Union, the policy and action division of Consumer Reports.

Most zero liability policies put at least some onus on the cardholder. Wells Fargo will cover "any unauthorized purchases or ATM transactions, as long as they are reported promptly."

http://www.bankrate.com/finance/credit-cards/does-zero-liability-mean-zero-liability.aspx

BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill
    My understanding (no cite, sorry) is that they're the same.
    But if someone empties your bank account....you ain't got no money until Visa reimburses.

peeps

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 31, 2014
    In addition, I have way more confidence in American Express customer service and efficiency vs local, regional, or national banks

boomgoesthedynamite

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 29, 2013
    Sachse (NE DFW)
    This is from the FTC article:
    If someone makes unauthorized transactions with your debit card number, but your card is not lost, you are not liable for those transactions if you report them within 60 days of your statement being sent to you.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    In addition, I have way more confidence in American Express customer service and efficiency vs local, regional, or national banks

Man, I don't know. I'd much rather deal with the small to medium sized Texas bank I've been with for 15 years where I can walk into the branch office and talk with people who actually work there, than dealing with an outsourced customer service call center where I get to deal with the kind of people who work in call centers...

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Man, I don't know. I'd much rather deal with the small to medium sized Texas bank I've been with for 15 years where I can walk into the branch office and talk with people who actually work there, than dealing with an outsourced customer service call center where I get to deal with the kind of people who work in call centers...

Ditto, no, make that double ditto! Have never done business with AE and never will.

TAZ

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2008
    Round Rock
    The biggest advantage your AMEX/Citibank card has over your Wells Fargo card is that it's not linked to your bank account. Even if WF refunds you in 2 weeks that's 2 weeks that you're not paying any bills that may be due. Get hit after pay day and before you've paid all your monthly bills and you're going to be accruing some late fees at best.

No mater what route you take, it's critical that you stay on top of your accounts these days.

Top Bottom