Whoop, I guess my ATM card got skimmed

Discussion in 'Stolen Property & Criminality' started by Kar98, Jan 12, 2017.

1. deemus

deemus TGT Addict

Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    Getting all those auto debits reworked is never painless. Just went through that for the fourth time.

2. Kar98

Kar98 Well-Known

Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Readers: verify there is no card skimmer installed by giving the pump a few tentative whacks with a medium sized sledge hammer!

3. avvidclif

avvidclif Active Member

Aug 30, 2017
    Van Zandt County
    I'm one of those that save money on a credit card. They give me cash back and I pay off the bill every month. Works great. About the only time I use a debit card is at WM where the card never leaves my hand. Anyplace else I use credit.

The wife's debit card got hacked and it was a minor pain to straighten it out. Go to the bank and fill out paperwork and it took a few days to get the money back, wasn't much.

pharmaco likes this.
  4. SQLGeek

SQLGeek Active Member

Sep 22, 2017
    SW Houston
    Well that's true. Thankfully I just have one. I'm a control freak and don't like auto billing. :)

deemus likes this.
  5. AustinN4

AustinN4 TGT Addict

Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
  6. F350-6

F350-6 TGT Addict

May 25, 2009
    I used to only use my debit card at places where it never left my hand (mostly walmart), then I got scared of the info getting stolen since they can also run it as credit if they don't have your pin, so I put it in the drawer and didn't use it for 2 years.

Then I got a phone call from the fraud department at the bank asking if I had just used my credit card at a gas station. I said no I don't use it anymore (even to withdraw cash) because I'm scared it will get hacked. They said that's the only reason they caught it was because I hadn't used it in so long.

I asked how this was possible after so long. They said someone's computer system likely got hacked and it had my card info in it, even 2 years later.

I no longer even have a debit card.

7. candcallen

candcallen Member

Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    Chase visa debit. Been hacked 3 times, usually resteraunt, they always catch the fraud call me and replace the cash right there on the phone cancelled the cards and send new ones out.

No big deal as we have several accounts we can move money around and keep 2 months worth of cash at home so even if the worst happens were not screwed.

I think the key here is no pin used. I havent been thru that.

8. Mohawk600

Mohawk600 New Member

Mar 31, 2018
    Austin
    Mine recently got skimmed too. $362.00 charged in San Marcos. Wells Fargo credited it back to my account within minutes of reporting. cancelled card and issued a new one. I will just use credit card from now on to prevent direct access to my account.