Lynx Defense

Whos got the best deals on complete AR uppers right now?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    I have a couple lowers in need of uppers and want to get them into action as cheap as possible. JSE is the cheapest I've found with a complete upper for $375. I'd prefer a midlength gas system, but carbine will do. I don't have a 14.5 w/pinned muzzle device yet either so that's also an option. What's out there??
    ARJ Defense ad

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    There have been other threads on this and from what I've seen, jse surplus is usually the best bet. That's where I got mine. Some of them you can customize the upper accessories.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Well, I decided to order from Palmetto State Armory since they have chrome lined barrels for just $25 more (the $375 ones from JSE don't state they are chrome lined). I tried to place the order on their website, but it seems their ordering system is down. Tried to call them; got their voice mail, but the mailbox is full. I don't really feel comfortable sending several hundred dollars to a company who's website doesn't work and they don't answer the phone.

Leaning towards JSE now, but I might just run over and see what GT's has in stock. I know it'll be more expensive, but I have a 10% off coupon to soften the blow

SgtBrummy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2011
    Spring, Texas
    I had the same issue with palmetto around Christmas. Mailbox was full because of high ordering volume. I ordered a lower parts kit an never received a confirmation email, a shipped email or anything. I just showed up at my door.

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    $320 without the bolt group or charging handle isn't really a deal. It's another $130 or so to complete the upper. Also don't really have any desire for a 300 blackout. A 6.5 or 6.8 would be nice... DSA does have an upper without the bolt group or charging handle for $250, and that's pretty decent.

I ended up getting a Stag 2H from GT's. It was $450 after the 10% off coupon. That's actually a pretty good deal considering it comes with a Midwest Industries rear flip sight. That's at least a $75 add on... Plus Stag is already a known quantity to me. I know they make good stuff. Picture of the "completed" rifle below.

I still need another upper, tho. I'll try Palmetto State Armory again next week to see if they have their shit together by then.

6850480115_d1abcef05f_b.jpg

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    BCM is great quality, but they don't come with the bolt group or charging handle so their price of $399 isn't that great. It would end up being $525-$550 once you actually complete the upper.

Newcastle

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2011
    Frisco
    The BCG is one of the most important parts to your rifle. Why skimp 50-100 bucks for a cheap bolt carrier group. A cheap barrel might not be as accurate but a broken bolt is useless. If its a range toy go for it. If you are using it for SHTF then I would go BCM. I love my 16" middy. Shot 100 rounds Sat. in 33* weather and it was flawless. 100 rounds was all I could take but the gun was good to go...lol

TheDan

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Why skimp? Diminishing returns... If I can save $100 and get something that's 98% as good as the high end stuff, then I'm going to do it. I'm not going to deny that BCM is great quality, but this thread is about the best deal; not the best equipment.

When I said early that Stag is a known quantity for me, I suppose I should have qualified that... One of the ARs I already own is all Stag, and it's been flawless through I don't even know how many rounds. Maybe 4000? The lower on this Crazy-Stag mutt I slapped together is still unproven to me, but I doubt I'll have any issues with it. Maybe I'll report back in 4-5 years after several cases of ammo have been through it. I still want to get a PSA upper to see how they perform, but they need to answer their damn phone (or at least fix their website). I've heard really good things about them, but... WTF, over?

Wrong thread, but if you're looking for a dead nuts reliable rifle for "SHTF", then get an old bolt action. All guns are going to malfunction at some point, but you'll get the least amount of trouble out of an old war relic bolt gun.

Top Bottom