• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I never did have any kind of mentor growing up and wanting to hunt. Most of what I learned over the years was from personal experience. I remember my first few seasons deer hunting and the local who did some decent processing work. Overall I was always happy enough but it wasn't til years later that I fully realized the benefits of processing at home.

Which brings me to the present. This year I bagged a 175lb whitetail. Easily the biggest I've shot over the years hunting south and central Texas whitetail. My girlfriend who enjoys cooking in general took the reigns on this one. Now while I typically give up on the ribs and carcass, she does not. Overall she wound up pulling 73.5 lbs of meat off that deer!

When I read about typical yield, 40% was on the high side. So when she managed 42% without the ribs yet, I was impressed. Once this is all mixed with pork for sausage, it will end up at over 100lbs of meat from 1 deer. Needless to say, the pressure is off for the rest of the season thanks to her handy work.

Not sure I could get that much meat myself but I get laser focused on backstrap filets and jerky cuts. Never have roasted bones for carne guisada meat or made chorizo seasoned deer sausage. In addition to the money saved, I'm enjoying the variety. This year she made about 7 variations of sausage in addition to the steaks.

Anyhow, what do y'all like to do with yours and how much meat do you wind up with?
    Guns International

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    I'm debating buying the gear to process my own, mainly for making sausage. It seems pretty involved to me. Might not be worth it because my wife and kids could care less about venison or sausage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    It doesn't take lots of gear. Some good blades and a decent grinder. Dehydrator if you are going to make jerky. And a vaccum sealer.

Sent by an idjit coffeeholic from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Been doing my own processing for years. I like knowing that the animal I am eating is the one I shot. If you go to a commercial processor you are not getting the animal you shot back in the form of burger. You could be getting Bubba’s deer he gut shot and found the next day when he spotted vultures.
    Have a 1.25 HP grinder/sausage maker and I am good with a knife. Also have a vacuum sealer.
    Bones/ribs, spine etc are kept to make collagen rich stock to supplement the dogs food as well as all trimmings and fat.
    BC719B3F-8BE4-4EE7-9B5A-FE5218440AE5.jpeg
    859F0418-AFD7-44E1-A85E-C6D55CB93563.jpeg
    all non vac sealed bags are bones.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I'm debating buying the gear to process my own, mainly for making sausage. It seems pretty involved to me. Might not be worth it because my wife and kids could care less about venison or sausage.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
    When they eat deer that did not percolate overnight before being found by Bubba the next day( in other words, deer YOU actually shot and got processed within 24 hours) they may change their minds.

Mike_from_Texas

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 10, 2010
    North Texas
    I just started processing my own. The hindquarters were easy to break down into roasts by following the muscle lines.

How in the heck do you do the front shoulders though? I butchered the hell out of them. I know they are typically just ground up but dang.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    I've used a good filet or boning knife in the past. My girl takes it a step further and roasts the bones in the oven to strip cooked meat off the carcass. It definitely gets exhausting to get it all.

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    I use a small skinner shaped blade to get the meat off the shoulder blade.
    One method I have seen used to get meat a blade leaves behind is a heavy wire brush. It has to have pretty stiff bristles but it will strip some meat.
    That or I take some bones for meat stock and freeze it or dehydrate the bones with meat scraps for the dog. Uncooked bones don't splinter like cooked ones. She absolutely loves getting to the marrow.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I just started processing my own. The hindquarters were easy to break down into roasts by following the muscle lines.

How in the heck do you do the front shoulders though? I butchered the hell out of them. I know they are typically just ground up but dang.

Boning knife to get the big pieces off. Then fold the bone and freeze for throwing in the pressure cooker later for stock for the dogs. About 90 minutes in pressure cooker and everything falls off. The liquid is dense with any fat and liquified collagen which is refrigerated and warmed up to pour over their food.

FireInTheWire

Caprock Crusader
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

Eat them whole...

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    I never did have any kind of mentor growing up and wanting to hunt. Most of what I learned over the years was from personal experience. I remember my first few seasons deer hunting and the local who did some decent processing work. Overall I was always happy enough but it wasn't til years later that I fully realized the benefits of processing at home.

Which brings me to the present. This year I bagged a 175lb whitetail. Easily the biggest I've shot over the years hunting south and central Texas whitetail. My girlfriend who enjoys cooking in general took the reigns on this one. Now while I typically give up on the ribs and carcass, she does not. Overall she wound up pulling 73.5 lbs of meat off that deer!

When I read about typical yield, 40% was on the high side. So when she managed 42% without the ribs yet, I was impressed. Once this is all mixed with pork for sausage, it will end up at over 100lbs of meat from 1 deer. Needless to say, the pressure is off for the rest of the season thanks to her handy work.

Not sure I could get that much meat myself but I get laser focused on backstrap filets and jerky cuts. Never have roasted bones for carne guisada meat or made chorizo seasoned deer sausage. In addition to the money saved, I'm enjoying the variety. This year she made about 7 variations of sausage in addition to the steaks.

Anyhow, what do y'all like to do with yours and how much meat do you wind up with?
    Lots of good tips here, just don't forget to package up some ziplocks to freeze those tiny meaty scraps for your dog

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I’ve processed my own for over 30 years. Replaced my grinder w a 1hp Cabelas version 3 years ago. Biggest change fir me was buying the vacuum sealer. Zero freezer burn since I bought that.

Only exception is when I kill a deer near Fredericksburg. I always use Stonewall Smokehouse so I get some smoked sausage. They make the best venison sausage I’ve ever had. I’m not good at the sausage.

Another thing I do is age the meat. I sit my cooler on the patio with a block of wood under one end. Every day I drain the water and blood out and keep the cooler full of ice. It stays in there for 7 days, then I process it. Meat is milder in flavor with less blood in it. Not that big a deal for me, But my family seems to like it better.

I generally don’t add beef to my burger, but I think I will in the future. It makes it easier to cook.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I’ve processed my own for over 30 years. Replaced my grinder w a 1hp Cabelas version 3 years ago. Biggest change fir me was buying the vacuum sealer. Zero freezer burn since I bought that.

Only exception is when I kill a deer near Fredericksburg. I always use Stonewall Smokehouse so I get some smoked sausage. They make the best venison sausage I’ve ever had. I’m not good at the sausage.

Another thing I do is age the meat. I sit my cooler on the patio with a block of wood under one end. Every day I drain the water and blood out and keep the cooler full of ice. It stays in there for 7 days, then I process it. Meat is milder in flavor with less blood in it. Not that big a deal for me, But my family seems to like it better.

I generally don’t add beef to my burger, but I think I will in the future. It makes it easier to cook.
    Add ground bacon and run it through the fine grind attachment ( after you grind it through the coarse grind) if you want burgers that are easier to grill.

you’re welcome ;)

jrbfishn

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 9, 2013
    south of killeen
    Add ground bacon and run it through the fine grind attachment ( after you grind it through the coarse grind) if you want burgers that are easier to grill.

you’re welcome ;)
    Oh man. I got a feeling that’s going to be a game changer.
    Gracias!
    That is what I use too. I get the bulk "bacon ends and pieces" and trim the lean for breakfast and snacks. The fat goes in the burger.
    Very tasty.

TexMex247

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 11, 2009
    Leander(NW Austin)
    Some of my best breakfast pan sausage were the years when I bought pork belly that I ground and mixed into it. I will go 30% beef when I make burgers, they just cook better with it.

Top Bottom