• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    But at least they give you a route that's passable, right? I've seen mobile homes in ditches twice in my life and both times I thought to myself "What made them think that truck and load could make that turn?"

I always wondered who pays, who gets fired, and who winds up in court when expensive things are ruined in that manner. I haven't wondered enough to actually go research it, though. :)

Most of the time they give you a correct route. The trucking company is supposed to run the route beforehand to make sure the load can make it through every obstacle. Sometimes they dont do that.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk
    Capitol Armory ad

Tex929rr

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 11, 2015
    Welfare, TX
    Back in 2014 this transformer was being hauled to a substation in Comfort. The towing rig came apart about two miles from the destination on FM473. It pushed about 20 feet of the pavement up like an accordion. It took about a week to hoist it up and rebuild the towing package. This was on of a dozen or so they had hauled here with no issues. What really stuck me was that the guys told me that the load weighed 800,000 pounds. My wife was flying MD-11’s for FedEx and that was more than the fully fueled and loaded weight of her aircraft,
    IMG_0128.jpeg

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    A lot of heavy haul talk for a bike thread. :p

Andre, are you going to be within @100mi of Crockett tomorrow? If so you want to meet for lunch?

330mi ridden over the past 2 beautiful days, plan for more tomorrow.

andre3k

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 8, 2008
    Houston
    A lot of heavy haul talk for a bike thread.

Andre, are you going to be within @100mi of Crockett tomorrow? If so you want to meet for lunch?

330mi ridden over the past 2 beautiful days, plan for more tomorrow.
    We went through Crockett on Saturday morning. Just missed you. I'm already back in Houston. I appreciate the invite, I will give you a heads up next time I ride through.

Sent from my SM-S918U using Tapatalk

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    My Friday afternoon at 0600 today. Got home, showered, and after several cat naps finally had the energy to ride around noon. Hit the aftermath of a car show in The Woodlands; I can't even afford the tires on their sh!t. Lambo SUV, 996s, blah blah blah.

Delicately (for real) weaving home on the interstate, I came upon a DS thumper tailgating, SERIOUSLY getting tossed around in the turbulence / high Xwinds leaving no reaction space for road debris. I'm no expert but have learned a few things and adequate vehicle spacing is one of them.

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    t. Lambo SUV,

One early Sunday morning with hardly anyone out I was driving and one of these slowly passed me. I had never seen one before so I sped up a bit to check it out. I gave a thumbs up and he waved. Before I knew it (I was just ckecking it out) we were rolling at 90. He punched it and left me like I was sitting still.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX

I've averaged 1,350/month so far.

southtexaspilot

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 8, 2009
    San Antonio

I've averaged 1,350/month so far.

My longest and most painful ride was an RZ350 from Great Falls, MT to Corpus Christi, TX. Pretty sure I was still vibrating from the 2 stroke motor a week later.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MrOrangeVest

Troublemaker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2012
    Texas
    Saturday was in-person pickup for your number placard. 3 of us rode out to The Flying L in Bandera Friday, Saturday rode the Sisters and got 3 stops, and Sunday and Monday rode for many more miles and stops. We ran into other event participants at most stops.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    At 0900 and just 49F :mad:, I headed out to meet a group in Liberty then ride to lunch on Lake Houston but I screwed up, twice, not trusting my GPS (I was probably right) so I let them know I'd be at lunch only. One guy .. late 20s? .. has paper tags on a '23 BMW S1000rr. I asked how much HP and he didn't know, dafaq? :facepalm:

The answer is 205, a paltry 45 more than my '09 ST but at 14yrs newer and some 200# lighter, I bet that's enough to get 'r done. ;)

On the way home I hit the best-in-area twisties erroneously tagged 50mph. Just as I entered a good right hander, I see an upright bike barely off the road on a driveway and a guy standing there. I lifted my knee off the pavement (cough cough), slowed and gave a *wassup* gesture but his response wasn't a thumbsup so I doubled back. I pulled up to a late 20s / early 30s dude, long dreads, smokin & phonin with a not my style but nice looking dressed Indian.

Me: You all right?
    Him: I came around the corner, hit some gravel and went down. All those scratch marks are mine.
    Maybe you should slow down.
    I was only going 45! I'm a new rider and it's my 1st time on the twisties.
    See *slow down* above ...

Meanwhile his buddy arrived on a bike to help so I decided that was a good time to exit.

Did I mention new Indian rider dude's helmet looked like this?
    Motorcycle_Helmet_Cover_-_Rabbit5_800x.jpg

I suspect he was trying to ride a dresser as if it were a crotch rocket and I get that. Hopefully he learned and has many more safe miles of riding.
    BTW: I did 2 more laps so I passed him 3 times and never encountered gravel at that, or any other curve this evening.

Top Bottom