• ...and so much more!
  • mitchntx

Sarcasm Sensei
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Waco-ish
    Just so ya know, I'd ride the 3 hours from Whitney for this. I've ridden to Burnett for a burger at Bob's before.

But my kids are driving in Saturday. Haven't seen her in 6 years.
    Hurley's Gold

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    No worries Dave & Mitch, I knew it was last minute for anyone but me.
    Enjoy the time with your daughter Mitch.

For anyone else & of course weather dependent, I'm still game.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    FM 3478 just south of the Trinity. Yes, of course I rode through it . . not as bad as it looks though. I was more worried that Po Po was at the next intersection waiting to tag scalawags passing road closed barriers. He wasn't :green:

20210606_183650.jpg

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Drifters Icehouse is just over 1 mile east of Richards on FM 149. I have passed it before but hadn't stopped in until today, glad I did. From staff to patrons, everyone I talked to was very nice. No A/C today and I didn't eyeball any units for July / August either. Didn't see any heaters for the cool months, save for the barmaids ta-tas. :evil:

Drifters 6 6 2021.jpg

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Are you cRAzY Pops! You can't just take off and ride all willy-nilly, people will die!!! I think . . .

I almost always have a food destination picked out and then look for the crookedest roads to get there. :green:

And I always note the mileage on the phone calendar when I get home, mainly out of pure interest but also maintenance needs.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    During a conversation a few days ago with a lady from the US Forest Service I learned of Ratcliff Lake Rec Area so I rode out there today. Neat little place and only about 40 miles for me, I plan to go back.

Ratcliff Lake Recreation Area was built in 1936 by the Civilian Conservation Corps. It surrounds a picturesque 45-acre lake that was once a log pond and a source of water for the Central Coal and Coke Company sawmill which operated from 1902 to 1920. The area offers opportunities for camping, picnicking, swimming, fishing and hiking. The Four C National Recreation Trail is 20 miles and originates in the Ratcliff Recreation Area and goes to the Neches Bluff Overlook.

Jarine88

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 24, 2018
    Tomball
    Yesterday was a 140 mile back road round trip for breakfast in College Station with my father, brother and a friend. We made some extra stops just for water breaks.

I knew it would be hot, so the windshield and lowers came off. She looked naked, but it was nice to have the air moving.

c1a26af78a7ebc7abbf098f53a69eb48.jpg

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I went to a National Forest Srvc rec area call Red Hill Lake today, it's 3mi north of Milam. I was around 10yo the last time I was there and I remember it was raining / had rained and sliding down red clay into the lake; it was so slick it was hard to get back up the hill. Until the last 14 days, the place has been closed following snowmageddon and is only 1/2 restored.

I found a spot as far away from people as I could which was 150yds (Google Earth measured), laid down on a picnic table, covered my eyes and slept for either 15min or 1hr 15, I'm not really sure. Just the sounds of kids swimming and the breeze through the pines. Sometimes, simple is right for the soul.

20210627_125628.jpg

These 2 show @80% of the lake. In the 2nd, you just may be able to see the yellow buoy around the swim area.

20210627_125750.jpg

20210627_125807.jpg

cycleguy2300

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    Austin, Texas
    For anyone interested, I am doing Barstow2Vegas (Labarstowvegas.com) over Thanksgiving weekend. I'm stealth camping to Vegas, staying in a hotel then stealth camping off my dirtbike for a night or two to get to Palmdale, then a hotel each night for the event proper.

I am somewhat of a lone wolf and will ride my own pace once doing the event proper, but having friends to cheer on is fun.

You can do it on a pure (but plated) dirt bike or something like a KLR650 or even a GS or something. Smaller the bike the better IMO, but it would be fun even on a big bike.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

pronstar

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 2, 2017
    Dallas
    For anyone interested, I am doing Barstow2Vegas (Labarstowvegas.com) over Thanksgiving weekend. I'm stealth camping to Vegas, staying in a hotel then stealth camping off my dirtbike for a night or two to get to Palmdale, then a hotel each night for the event proper.

I am somewhat of a lone wolf and will ride my own pace once doing the event proper, but having friends to cheer on is fun.

You can do it on a pure (but plated) dirt bike or something like a KLR650 or even a GS or something. Smaller the bike the better IMO, but it would be fun even on a big bike.

Sent from your mom's house using Tapatalk

We’ve done that run many times in off-road vehicles over the years.

Not tied to an event or holiday, just a bunch of friends getting together for off-road adventure.

Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I just measured things before this post so I am not exaggerating. :green:

There's a 5 mile run I frequent, it has @20 turns and elevation changes. Heading south I got stuck behind a CRV that was running better than most cages but left a bit to be desired for me. 8/10ths of a mile before the end, I passed 3 HDs going north, we all did the wave. At least one was very loud which I appreciate cuz Po Po will most likely visit with them for speed/noise so I would have come up on that instead of getting pulled over. I made the uey and started rolling, nothing crazy but spirited, and caught them 1.4 miles before the end. :cool:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX

Too far for me plus I only have a street bike. Be safe & have a blast. <thumbsup>

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I hope to get to the Ozarks for several days during the Oct 17 - 31 time frame if anyone is interested. Will trailer the scooter and preferably stay in a motel; I like to step out my door and be at my car / bike. I'm thinking Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers should offer better rates and more food options.

If anyone knows of a particularly good motel in NW AR please tell me, I'm all ears.

Last edited:

E6InTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Houston Area
    I hope to get to the Ozarks for several days during the Oct 17 - 31 time frame if anyone is interested. Will trailer the scooter and preferably stay in a motel; I like to step out my door and be at my car / bike. I'm thinking Fayetteville - Springdale - Rogers should offer better rates and more food options.

If anyone knows of a particularly good motel in NW AR please tell me, I'm all ears.
    I head to Branson MO every May for the Indian Motorcycle rally.

Its on Table Rock lake - Check out Hunters Friend Resort - Gorgeous roads - Clean rooms - Safe & secure.

Plus the owner Mike might jump on his bike after calling up some other area riders - And show you the best roads in the area.

Take a ride to Eureka Springs and have lunch at the Cat House....

E6InTexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 8, 2021
    Houston Area
    I used to ride through any weather. Started on sport bikes (Kaw 750 Turbo was my first new bike so yeah I'm old AF) - Now on cruisers (Indians)

Now unless there's an overlying issue (funeral / tribute / etc) - Im not going unless its comfortable.

I'll see you on the roads after this ball drenching heat goes away... :)

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    I was stopped at the south end of 224 when a sport rider passed me heading west on 156. He ueyed, gave me the 'you ok?' sign and with my thumbsup, off he went.

Minutes later a 20 something in a p/u hauling a sport bike on a utility trailer with only 2 loose tie downs and the bike on the sidestand did the same, except he stopped to talk. I told him I once bent a frame hauling on the sidestand and he gave a surprised look. He ueyed in the rough median, got the front wheels on pavement and banged the throttle throwing gravel while the rear wheels and trailer bounced around over the +4" curb, all the while the bike miraculously staying upright. I thanked him for checking on me and gave real world advice, that's all I can do. :)

Six laps on 224 this evening with a 1/2 time stop at The Hop for burger. I got home after dark so the bugs on the windscreen / fairing are hideous. I just checked and the ants have already found the smorgasbord. :mad: I sprayed brake cleaner on / around the center stand and front tire which has kept the ants away for up to 2 weeks in the past, we shall see.

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Posted 5/13/2020

I'll have to take a thermos of Ramen noodles for lunch but at least I can ride now.
    '09 K1300GT with 19K on the clock. Freakin horn is so loud it scared me and I punched the button!
    Looks like the weather will suck for a few days. :(

View attachment 213290

I parked her dead nutz on 49,000 miles tonight.

1 - battery
    1 - set of brake pads
    6 - oil changes
    11 - tires

@ $1,000 to replace rear wheel bearing including 3 trips to the dealer in Katy.
    @ $700 including beer & BBQ for a couple buddies that helped pull & replace the rear strut after it was rebuilt.
    @ $150 for misc. tire changing tools cuz shops got stupid on their fees last year.

1 - drop
    1 - glancing tap with a Tundra moving in the same direction, my fault. We talked motorcycles for 30min after we agreed any damages were not worth exchanging info over.

All in all not bad for the Beemer "reliabilty" rumor in general and, for this specific model's horror stories including the motor self-detonating before 5K miles. I think I'll keep 'er for another week or 2. :evil:

Coiled

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 25, 2016
    SETX
    Posted 5/13/2020

I'll have to take a thermos of Ramen noodles for lunch but at least I can ride now.
    '09 K1300GT with 19K on the clock. Freakin horn is so loud it scared me and I punched the button!
    Looks like the weather will suck for a few days. :(

View attachment 213290

Parked her at 54,334 miles tonight. Still lovin' the ride and very happy I have not received any riding awards. :green:

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    rode to the Deluxe on Haight St last night (easy parking)

Attachments

• A5E665ED-9577-4231-9E93-6A9670B46E48.jpeg
      A5E665ED-9577-4231-9E93-6A9670B46E48.jpeg
      156.3 KB · Views: 53
    Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member