• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    Now that my can is in, I find myself shooting A LOT more than I was. I'm only shooting 22 right now and I don't need to explain how dirty these get after a few hunded rounds. After doing a complete strip on my 10/22 and cleaning the hell out of my P22, I was quickly reminded how much I despise cleaning guns. I'd really like the convenice of stripping my 10/22 and there's a few spots on my P22 (specifically the slide lock) that I just can't get down into really well. Can poly pistols be used in a ultrasonic? Any recomendations?
    Gun Zone Deals

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    To answer you questions,

Who uses ultrasound) Not sure about others, but I use one quite a bit. You still must detail strip the firearm first or funny (funny as in bad) things happen.

Can Poly ultra-soundedded) Yes

As to recommendations) Get the biggest you can afford or find, the "home" units suck. I picked up a Crest on freecycle, yup free.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I know a guy here in San Antonio that refurbishes ultrasonic cleaners and sells some of them. They work great. Wouldn't hesitate to drop a polymer gun into one. I did lose some anodizing from the rear sight of my Ruger Mark II, because it was cheap anodizing. Zero problem with properly-done hard anodizing (my Sigs have been through without any trouble). I also had a spring come undone from its perch when I did the Mark II.

Other than that, zero problems with the cleaner.

The place that sells the cleaners is called Lone Star Technical Services and it's actually located in Bracken (near Bracken Collision). 210 651 4006 during the week. They're not cheap, but they're not too expensive.

Just use hot water (I boil some on the stove) and some soap. Dish soap works well.

LJH

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2011
    Austin
    Dish soap works well.
    I use water and dish soap as well.

Before anyone uses an ultrasonic cleaner you must know one thing. Whatever you put in the cleaner will be clean. So clean that if it can rust it will rust overnight. With that in mind, this is my ultrasonic process.

Set heat to max about an hr before starting the cycle.
    Place parts in the basket, hit the start button.
    Remove parts and blow off water with air from compressor.
    Dip all parts in Red Oil, the blow off excess oil with compressed air.
    Wipe down and assemble.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I use water and dish soap as well.

Before anyone uses an ultrasonic cleaner you must know one thing. Whatever you put in the cleaner will be clean. So clean that if it can rust it will rust overnight. With that in mind, this is my ultrasonic process.

Set heat to max about an hr before starting the cycle.
    Place parts in the basket, hit the start button.
    Remove parts and blow off water with air from compressor.
    Dip all parts in Red Oil, the blow off excess oil with compressed air.
    Wipe down and assemble.

I just boil some water on the stove to heat it and wipe parts down with an oiled rag when I'm done. Other than that, pretty close to how I do it.

Ultrasonics will take poorly applied finishes off. Paint, plating, anodizing... if it's not done right, it won't stay on. Don't set parts directly on the bottom of the cleaner. Don't stick your finger in the cleaner (it can mess you up). Don't run the cleaner low on water.

TKG

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    San Antonio, Tx
    I just boil some water on the stove to heat it and wipe parts down with an oiled rag when I'm done. Other than that, pretty close to how I do it.

Ultrasonics will take poorly applied finishes off. Paint, plating, anodizing... if it's not done right, it won't stay on. Don't set parts directly on the bottom of the cleaner. Don't stick your finger in the cleaner (it can mess you up). Don't run the cleaner low on water.

That's sounds pretty simple, I'll have to try that. Now, I just need to con the wife out of one of her pans.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    I use an ultrasonic cleaner extensively. I bought it from Harbor Freight.

I will try the dish soap. I normally use water and wipe the crud off the parts.

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I use ultrasonic to clean my brass before handloading. Does a great job on cleaning up primer pockets and inside the case. Works well on the outside but doesn't make them shine. I can put about 30 +/- handgun cases and a couple of dozen rifle cases in my Harbor Freight cheapo machine for about 480 seconds with the internal heater on and a mixture of 1/2 water, 1/2 vinegar, one teaspoon of baking soda, and a drop or two of dishwashing liquid. When they come out I blow them dry with a small air compressor and they are ready to go. After reading this thread I'm going to experiment with gun parts and see how it works.

wiredgeorge

Older than I was yesterday!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Mico TX
    I rebuild and sell vintage carburetors and use an ultrasonic cleaner after media blasting carb bodies and rusty zinc plated parts; etc. I think it really helps to use distilled water for any cleaning solution because when the parts are hot in the solution, if you have any minerals in the water you use, the parts come out with white (probably calcium) on them. I have a 7.5 gallon cleaner that uses dual frequencies which cleans small internal passageways and large outer surfaces. I use a stainless basket. I buy cleaning stuff I add water to from an industrial chemical company. I have never put a pistol in but it wouldn't hurt any of the parts if the thing was disassembled; keep in mind that anything that can rust will rust quickly once all oil comes off so oil the parts after drying with compressed air as has already been suggested.

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have never used soap and water so excuse the question, but do you boil the parts or just use the boiled water with dish soap?

Put the parts and the soap in the ultrasonic while you wait for the water to boil. Once it's there, just fill the cleaner up with the boiling water, turn the cleaner on and go goof off for half an hour.

Top Bottom