• ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

Acetone

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    El Paso
    I would like to share with y'all something someone one told me sometime.

"A .40 MAY expand, but a .45 NEVER shrinks."

I like shooting a .40, but I carry a .45.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    C'mon Okie - wussin' out?!??
    icon_tongue.gif

claymore504

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Katy, TX
    For me I feel 40 is the perfect median between 9mm and 45. I like the round capacity I get with my 40 and I like the performance. I am a fan of 45 and I think the 9mm has its place, but the 40 is just right for me for carry.

onac255

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2008
    El Paso, TX
    Okay so if you guys were in my shoes and not getting into reloading(10mm would be my choice to carry and practice with if I did reload) anytime soon, I like .45 and 9mm but having to stock up on two different calibers just isn't practical for me at this point in my life.

I feel like .40 would be a great compromise and it would allow me to stock up on one pistol caliber.

I really want to get an AR as soon as financially able to so only having to buy 12ga., 5.56/.223, and .40 would be ideal instead of having to stock up on 12ga., 5.56/.223, 9mm, and .45

okie556

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Longview, TX
    C'mon Okie - wussin' out?!??
    icon_tongue.gif

I already weighed in at the beginning. Love .40 cal but hey did I tell you about the sweet CDP I just bought in .45??

TRN knows damn well I feel in lust with the gun and not the caliber but hey...after shooting the .45 I can't complain. As I originally said......just wish .45 was as readily available and same price of .40 S & W. But's it's not and I got 1911 fever real bad and see another .45 in the future.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    I already weighed in at the beginning. Love .40 cal but hey did I tell you about the sweet CDP I just bought in .45??

TRN knows damn well I feel in lust with the gun and not the caliber but hey...after shooting the .45 I can't complain. As I originally said......just wish .45 was as readily available and same price of .40 S & W. But's it's not and I got 1911 fever real bad and see another .45 in the future.

Ah wuz talkin' to the OTHER Okie - the one with the trash can on his head that is supposed to buy me dinner tomorrow night in Houston!

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    Okay so if you guys were in my shoes and not getting into reloading(10mm would be my choice to carry and practice with if I did reload) anytime soon, I like .45 and 9mm but having to stock up on two different calibers just isn't practical for me at this point in my life.

I feel like .40 would be a great compromise and it would allow me to stock up on one pistol caliber.

I really want to get an AR as soon as financially able to so only having to buy 12ga., 5.56/.223, and .40 would be ideal instead of having to stock up on 12ga., 5.56/.223, 9mm, and .45

Another option - .45 with a .22 conversion slide. Paid $200 for my Kimber conversion kit - I can plink w/.22, or let the big dogs loose!

GM.Chief

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 16, 2009
    I like 40 and think it is a great choice, plus you can also get conversions for them too (depending on the gun, ofcourse), but I'm biased because that is exactly what I did...lol...ofcourse my 2500 rds of 40 is down to 150 rds now...time to go shopping.

randmplumbingllc

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    El Paso

Or, another option is..... to do like Acetone...... and buy the reloading components and use someone elses reloader ! I can reload a thousand .40cal rounds in a couple hours, by myself, easy. It is FASTER if you have someone else help refill primer tubes, replentish bullets, powder, etc.

That is the beauty of having a Dillon press, no worries about wearing the thing out. That is also the beauty of having friends. Look on the reloading thread and see how many more rounds you can shoot reloading vs. factory ammo.

I am set up now, for .9mm luger, .40cal S&W, .45cal ACP, and .223. Would like to do a few others, but not until I can spare some more cash.

Come out and shoot with us next time and we can talk about reloading.

Getting back to the original thread, I am also set up to do 10mm reloading. Same .40cal bullets, just larger casings, so that aint a problem either.

Biggest thing is find the gun you REALLY want, not the one that I can afford TODAY. Save up and get the one you REALLY want. Then, you can get other weapons later, but you will have at least one that can be your primary weapon.

Hope this helps

Big country

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    Cedar Park,TX
    I like the .40 because I can get almost the same hit as the 45 but the round capacity of a 9mm. I know little more about the 10mm other than it exists so I can't compare the two.

TexasRedneck

1911 Nut
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 23, 2009
    New Braunfels, TX
    It all comes down to buying what works for you. I just hate to hear someone "settling" on a gun because of budgetary considerations. Having said that, I can remember doing the same thing when I was younger. Sometimes, ya just gotta do what ya gotta do!

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    In the real world, price is an issue. The reality is that a 9mm, .40 S&W, or 45 auto will do fine. The chance that a situations that one particular caliber, especially a spancy caliber like 10mm or .357 sig, will save your life while other calibers won't will not happen to 99.995% of us.

I know I've drank the "9mm is just fine" kool-aid, but the downsides are only small. The biggest one is having to listen to so many people trash your caliber.

Heck, just get what you want and don't let anyone bother you because of it.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom