• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SPCHardin

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 19, 2010
    San Antonio
    I have had this problem the last few times I went to the range. This morning, I took my new G26 to the range and I was hitting consistently low to the right. I looked at a chart on the wall and it said that I was squeezing my finger tips too much while pulling the trigger. I have also heard that I might be using too much finger on the trigger. Does anyone have any advice to help me shoot more on center?:banghead:
    DK Firearms

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    This is for right handed. Flip it for left. I'm assuming you looked at something like this?

It's hard to tell online without watching you shoot. Try to correct what's on the chart, and if you can find an "expert" to shoot it at the range try to rule out the sights being off since it's new. Beware, there's lots of "experts" at any given range.

diagnostictarget.jpg

CanTex

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Pflugerville
    Here is a possibly solution. If you are consistently hitting the same point of impact, Low right. Why not adjust your sights to compensate. This will put you on target. This solution will work only if you are always low right on your pistol regardless of distance and the way you grip the pistol feels natural to you.

There are however a number of factors unknown at this time which may be able to be correct this issue with a modification to how you hold the pistol and squeeze the trigger. Suggest you have someone else work with you on the range to identify and correct the issue.

Mexican_Hippie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 4, 2009
    Fort Worth
    One last quick thought, try to make sure you follow through. Don't immediately release the trigger after you pull. Keep it back for a second and see where your shot went before you release it. That's all I got. I'm sure others will throw in their 2 cents.

Dcav

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2009
    Converse
    Good suggestions as above you also mentioned this was a new handgun you were shooting, I find when going between my sig to my taurus to someone else's handgun I shoot differently, each has different sights, sight radius triggers etc. Once you get used to it, you will "learn" to shoot the new gun.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    The absolute best way to find out beyond a shadow of a doubt what the problem is, slow fire from a bench rest. Remove as much movement and human error from the equation. 99.99999999999% of the time factory sights are pretty much dead on. I would say a good 80-90% of missed shots are due to improper trigger pull and/or anticipating/pushing against the recoil before it happens (basically a flinch, but more from the wrist). If you have too much finger on the trigger, potentially this can cause you to pull the trigger to the side as opposed to straight back, pulling the shot towards your gun hand side. As was mentioned before, having a sympathetic reflex and basically squeezing all your fingers as you pull the trigger could pull the gun low right. All these problems can manifest themselves differently with different shooters sometimes. Bottom line, shoot from a bench rest and try to pull the trigger as slow as humanly possible and you'll get your best possible shot, which will tell you instantly if it's you or not.

BFThorp

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2011
    Fort Worth
    Yes on the bench. Once you figure it out, I'd say dry fire a lot to clear things up and learn to call your shots. I'm paraphrasing but Enos says something like ... the sights will tell you all you need to know, if you'll just watch them.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    I'm paraphrasing but Enos says something like ... the sights will tell you all you need to know, if you'll just watch them.

Absolutely! That was like a light bulb moment for me when years ago someone that was a much better shooter than me told me, "Use the sights as your "gas pedal". They decide when the trigger is pulled." Once you understand that, then it's really a matter of trying to "see" your sights as much and as quickly as possible. The gun is faster than us, our eyes need to play catchup. ;)

M. Sage

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    San Antonio
    I have had this problem the last few times I went to the range. This morning, I took my new G26 to the range and I was hitting consistently low to the right. I looked at a chart on the wall and it said that I was squeezing my finger tips too much while pulling the trigger. I have also heard that I might be using too much finger on the trigger. Does anyone have any advice to help me shoot more on center?:banghead:

What are you doing this weekend? I've been planning on hitting the range Saturday. Be happy to see if I can help you out.

Thanks guys, I am left handed. I need to spend some more time on the range to remedy this issue.

Actually, I disagree. Dry fire time might help you out more.

Texastransplant

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2010
    Purmela, Texas
    Yep I had thought you were left handed. I had problems low to the left. Once you realize it, it's pretty easy to cure. I wonder how many handguns are traded in because the )(*^%%$$^*(&^ gun don't shot straight. Now with doubletap I have a lot less problem.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Thanks guys, I am left handed. I need to spend some more time on the range to remedy this issue.
    me to lefty but from all i can find out it mirrors
    the right but the thinking has to change,i.e to be able to get better(but one day lefties will take over the world all the hail the brain)

Rum Runner

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2010
    Plano
    1) I'd go with Sig's suggestion of shooting it from a rest and/or have someone else who is experienced shoot it to see if the sights are on for them. This will help define whether it is you or the gun.
    2) If it is you, I think you have a very common problem. Many shooters find they shoot low left. That is because they are jerking the trigger causing the gun to move slightly low left as they fire. Wouldn't the fact that you are shooting left handed mean that if you were jerking the trigger, you would be going low right?

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    Wouldn't the fact that you are shooting left handed mean that if you were jerking the trigger, you would be going low right?

Not necessarily. There are tons of different variables, and every person is different. That's why I'm not the biggest fan of the complicated "diagnosis circle" that lists every possible cause. I think a simplistic, basic one would be a better idea. I have seen lefties yank shots low left before with too much finger on the trigger so they are actually pulling the trigger to the rear and kind of camming it to the left. That's why the absolute best thing is to have a competent shooter/instructor watch you to accurately diagnose it and help fix it.

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Just to thicken the fog.
    Both my Glocks, initially, shot high with my ammo choice.

When I blacked out the white dot on front sight it shot dead nuts on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

scap99

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2010
    Cypress
    Dammit was not paying attention and thought that was a recent thread. My bad.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Top Bottom