Target Sports

Why buy firearms locally? Cheaper online..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TAVM

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Well hell the only reason they converse and create a friendly atmosphere is because they charge you more for the firearm. And don't forget...if that salesperson got paid 1 dollar less, he wouldn't have given you the time of day. ; )

And yessssss....that was a joke.
    Guns International

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    I have one favorite shop out of several in Waco.

They aren't the cheapest, and sometimes they are busy so I have to be a little patient, but when I get to the counter it's all about me.

I don't bother with academy because the customer next to me probably knows more about guns than the guy behind the counter and cabelas runs the same price as the LGS I prefer.

Another shop lost me when they ordered a gun for me and sold it to someone else. I don't have any money down on it so I was only out for the time it took me to drive there, but I took them for their word and they sold it to someone else who walked through the door and saw it. Told them my money would go elsewhere from that point and haven't walked through their doors since.

I want to hold a gun before I buy it and feel if I go to a shop and take up their time fondling the gun I should spend my money with them also.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    So who would be left to actually do the FFL transfer?

The way I see it, this industry still has some major problems on both sides. There are those that are stuck in the past, who lack much of the business and customer service acumen the modern consumer now demands in this day and age. When you are in an industry and especially a geographical area where you might effectively have a monopoly on the market with very little competition, it's easy to get lazy, simply not care, and to become downright hostile to your customer base. There are plenty of these businesses that are still in business for the single reason that they are the only option in their particular area. Eventually, those types will breed themselves out of this industry, but I wouldn't hold my breath. They tend to be persistent and survivors. ;)

On the flip side, one of the downsides with the easy and expansive E-commerce now available in this industry is that many consumers have become obsessed with the penny and with instant gratification to the point of probably hurting their local economy. I understand being price conscious and saving money. I price shop a bit too, as I'm not made of money either, but there's a certain point where I draw the line and just go local (as long as there's not an outrageous price difference). I remember a few years ago helping a customer find a handgun. I probably spent 20-30min talking to the guy, because he seemed really interested and I wanted to make sure he found something that would work for him and he'd be happy with. While we were talking he looked up prices on his phone, saw that we were ~$10-15 higher than another store on the opposite side of town, he left and drove across to the other side of Austin and made his purchase at another store. Later on he came back in to shoot at the range, and relayed all of this to us to rub it in our faces. Over $20 or less... Funny, considering he probably paid that price difference in gas to drive across Austin and back.

I have worked the retail side as well as the wholesale side. I've helped new gun stores open. I've also helped small independent individuals try to get their gun retail businesses off the ground. After all that I've seen, I never really care to own a gun store. Talk about working a thankless job, with a not so insignificant percentage of customer base which will not give you their business over a mere $20, with products of extremely low profit margins, and entire groups of millions of people which look at your business with utter contempt and would actively try to put you out of business based on ill-informed assumptions backed by complete fallacies (gun control nuts). No thanks. Those that are able to do it and survive such an aggressive and predatory market have my respect.

For better or the average consumer is no longer Willing or perhaps able to pay for service.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    I have one favorite shop out of several in Waco.

They aren't the cheapest, and sometimes they are busy so I have to be a little patient, but when I get to the counter it's all about me.

I don't bother with academy because the customer next to me probably knows more about guns than the guy behind the counter and cabelas runs the same price as the LGS I prefer.

Another shop lost me when they ordered a gun for me and sold it to someone else. I don't have any money down on it so I was only out for the time it took me to drive there, but I took them for their word and they sold it to someone else who walked through the door and saw it. Told them my money would go elsewhere from that point and haven't walked through their doors since.

I want to hold a gun before I buy it and feel if I go to a shop and take up their time fondling the gun I should spend my money with them also.

I still regularly check out the gun counters at Academy and Gander. I don't go there to get answers; that's what TGT is for. ;) But Academy's prices actually aren't that bad, and Gander's selection is pretty damn extensive. I too like to handle the exact firearm I'm paying for; I don't like waiting for shipping (or thumb twiddling, like in TAVM's unfortunate case with Buds). To save me from those headaches, I will gladly pay the premium they sometimes ask for their guns.

hard eight

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2013
    Richardson
    Speaking of Ganders...2 months ago, Mesquite had some pistol $50 below competitors per Sunday ad. Drove there at opening and they had posted everywhere MISTAKE...gun was actually $100 higher. Swore I would never set foot if they couldn't work with me. Response....Bye

Sent from my ME172V using Tapatalk

Shooter McGavin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Free Texas
    Gun shows havent been mentioned much in this thread. I know a lot say their prices are high but i usually find the big dealers have some fair to good prices.

Used to find great deals there especially with cash in hand, haven't really seen much in the way of a good deal (on firearms anyway) since Ovomit's great gun run of '13.

tXfactor

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 16, 2013
    Spring TX
    Gander is like Academy +5% cost. lol But the selection is probably +300%. Definitely worth going to at least once.

I will say though, that Gander typically has better pricing than Academy on clothes.

Rangerscott

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    Lubbock
    Lubbocks gander was great the first year on pricing then after that, they are now higher than academy on everything. If you wanna spend $500 on hunting clothes and still not have everything you need, its the place to be.

It is now a super gun store and it was also bought out by some company. Guess theyre franchised.

STXdevilsquid

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Live Oak
    Gander is like Academy +5% cost. lol But the selection is probably +300%. Definitely worth going to at least once.

I will say though, that Gander typically has better pricing than Academy on clothes.

Not at the one in San Antonio, that one was a big let down for me.

Top Bottom