Lynx Defense

Why buy firearms locally? Cheaper online..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    Just curious as to why anyone would buy locally. With the exception of Academy I have yet to see anything that can't be found online cheaper. 5.7's for over $1400 , AR's the list goes on and on. I know some people like to see what they're buying, but with no sales tax (out of state) I've its way cheaper. The only firearms I buy in state are from individuals with the exception of a Benneli I got a deal on.

Interested in yall's opinions
    ARJ Defense ad

DocD

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2013
    Fort Worth, TX
    I tend to agree though I know many would say we need to support local businesses or they will go away and then there will be no place to go and handle a firearm before purchase.

Younggun

Certified Jackass
    TGT Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 31, 2011
    hill co.
    Because there is no online retailer that can match the customer service of my LGS and I don't know of any that would put a few boxes of ammo back for me till I get paid on Friday.

I can post much more on this later.

Robb in Austin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 26, 2012
    Gtown
    As someone with limited exposure to firearms growing up, as well as an adult, I want to put my hands on stuff before putting hard earned money down. Also, I want to support the locals as Younggun stated. It never hurts to ask a LGS to match online pricing, or to get close, too.

majormadmax

Úlfhéðnar
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    San Antonio!
    I've also bought both ways, and prefer buying in person simply because it gives me a chance to look the firearm over before handing over my money.

You can also sometimes negotiate a deal when buying face-to-face, even with a vendor or store. Personal sales are the best because they always involve some negotiation.

Lastly, if you buy locally you always have the ability to go back to the seller if there's an issue. It seems like the only firearms I've needed to return have been from online sales.

So my bottom line is that I am willing to pay a little more to buy something in person than online; but if I can't find it locally or discover a much better deal online, I will certainly go that route.

vmax

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 15, 2013
    Do whatever you want. When buying online you pay shipping and FFL transfer fees.

I have purchased both ways.

me too. I just look at some used guns online and think how tight does the cylinder lock up? is there hammer push off? Sometimes I just pass on online guns because I can't handle them first.
    Usually if I can buy the identical gun locally for up to $25 or so I just buy locally. Sometimes, I ask the LGS is they can come down some to match. But if I do that I am ready to buy right then and there. I won't be "that guy" who dillies around on price and then walks out with out buying.

coachrick

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    north-north Austin
    At the time I purchased my Kahr PM9, I saw NO online price better than the retail price at GT. IF you get no tax, free shipping, no CC fee and have a reasonable FFL cost, it can add up to significant money savings in many cases. I've just never found an online deal that beat the particular deal I was looking for locally(but I'm talking handguns under $700 in my personal experience). That tax savings is considerable on a $1500 weapon ;)

I'm willing to pay for certain aspects of a FTF purchase; but I surely can be swayed by significant differences in cost. On the other hand, I'll sometimes balk at paying what I consider to be 'crazy' prices for small items. For example, I never saw a local price under $50 for a particular 22lr mag I wanted. Found it online for $34 w/free shipping(plus tax since it was a Texas dealer) and went for it. Wasn't something I 'needed' immediately, so it worked out fine. That $16 savings will buy me another trip to the range ;). Heck, if a local dealer had offered 10% off for the holiday or as part of another purchase, I might have jumped earlier, not knowing about that particular online price at the time.

Last edited:

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    * sometimes it's nice to inspect guns face to face for fit and finish, even if it's a premium.
    * sometimes a local sale, even including sales tax, is lower, or close enough to the cost of an internet purchase adding shipping, FFL, and gas money getting to FFL.
    * Right now, I interwebz most purchases but I'm never opposed to local sales given the price and service is in line.
    * I never interwebz a used firearm unless it's from a sight that has feedbacks like gunbroker.

Mikeinhistory

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 19, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I mostly buy milsurps so maybe my opinion isn't quite the same as everyone elses. I like to be able to look over a firearm and make sure it is what it is supposed to be. I have bought many arms online as well both newer arms as well as milsurps. Buying from just the pictures means you almost always miss something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

Brains

One of the idiots
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Spring
    For me it depends on the price point. For a $500 gun, the LGS is cheaper. For a $1000 gun, it's close. For a $1500 gun, tax savings is where the dollars start to make sense. I don't own any $1500 guns :)

Plus I like the folks at my local gun stores, so I buy my stuff there.

rl96ss

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 20, 2013
    CenTex
    All good points I have a local "Good ole boy's" gun shop here. I've transfered over 9 firearms there they've charged me $40 each time. Nice guys and all, but recently found a guy in New Braunfels that charges me $15 with a Chl, an old Vietnam vet nice as can be. Not once did the other place do anything to offer a discount maybe?

So I guess different strokes...... good to have you local supporters around. Sad thing is with the interwebz generation local gunshops will soon go the way of Blockbuster, newpapers and so on. I would love to support locally but I will give my money to the lowest bidder as long as they keep me happy as a customer.

AustinN4

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Nov 27, 2013
    Austin
    Agree with almost everything already said by amost everyone in this thread. In other words, for me, it depends. I look at at the price both ways. A resonable FFL fee and no sales tax is hard to overcome for most LGS's but I will give them a chance. They don't have to match it for me, but I do want to feel like I got some consideration. All that said, I don't think I could ever buy a used firearm online - for me it is new only, and only from dealers I trust to do the right thing after the sale, if nesessary.

Whisky

Well-Known
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    the only "used" I've bought are 3 Bulgarian Makarov pistols - 1 didn't operate to my satisfaction and the seller (AIM Surplus) did the right thing and took back the "lemon"

all on-line purchases have been "new" firearms and I feel I'm spreading the "wealth" around by supporting local FFLs - I am a prudent shopper and WILL do the best "deal" that I can find - I've purchased 5 pistol locally but they've been hard to find items

bottom line - I'll buy the best deal

no2gates

These are not the droids you're looking for.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2013
    Grand Prairie, TX
    If it's not much more (like $+75) more or so, I will buy locally to support my local stores.
    If everyone only bought online, LGS's would no longer exist.

jcrntx

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 21, 2010
    San Antonio, TX
    Same for me, a mix of local and online sales. Bought several good deals from Bud's. Got a new Glock 19 Gen 3 this morning at Saxet for $460 out the door. I too don't mind paying a little extra to help local shops/employees out and having a place to put my hands on a gun prior to buying.

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    It depends on price and availability.
    I'll give the local guy a little more if he has the item in hand. Will give them a little more but not much.
    If we gotta do the order thing then I can almost always find it less expensive myself.
    I've also found the local shops might have one or two distributors they work with. I often hear we can't get one of those. They can't get one because their distributor doesn't have one. 3 minutes on De InterWebz and I've found what I want. Customer Service? What's that?
    So I'm often forced to shop on-line anyway.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    LandenR
    Top Bottom