• ...and so much more!
  • cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    65b3a467be1517928c0fdad89cd75e7c.jpg

I forgot to include the picture of her sitting several hours before I found her

I never got a look at her poop or teeth. All I know is that they were “dewormed” before arrival.

I drug her out to a far pasture and closed the gate to it. Cows can’t access her body

The vomit was very watery consistency and of course green. No blood in it

I’m new to owning cattle. I’ll keep that penicillin comment in mind and do some research on that

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Are there any hedge apple (osage orange) growing in the pasture. It is not normal for cattle to vomit. What appears as vomit is actually some food and water which is trapped between the throat and the esophageal sphincter at the rumen/reticulum opening. The apple can not pass into the rumen blocking the movement of food and water. There can be quite a volume caught here. The animal dies of dehydration. Sometimes cattle eat them when other food is scarce.
    Cattle that old don't get blackleg.
    How does he get away with donating the hog meat. I’m helping a landowner nearby trapping and was looking into donating the meat and hit a roadblock. Wild hogs are treated just like domestic and they must be inspected by a usda inspector before they are killed in order to donate/sell the meat. Is he also a certified usda inspector?

Wild hogs are not treated as domestic inspected animals. The only animals that need to be inspected are those that the end product is going to be sold. If you have deer on your property and want to sell the meat then they have to be inspected before they are killed.
    Lynx Defense

justashooter

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Welcome to the world of bovine management. 1st rule: If you have them you will lose some. I have learned all I can do is do the best I can to manage them. I will preface what I say next by I am not a vet. It sounds like this might have been a problem that was coming by your description of her weight. Sometimes it is something in the gastric tract, sometimes it is what they eat, it could even be her teeth. Unless you want to spend a fortune on vet bills you may never know.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Cattle with brucellosis have abortions and usually no other signs. Man can get it from milk or uterine fluids getting into a wound. There are few diseases that transmit to man from cattle.
    The cow owned by the two old hags ladies, on the farm my uncle eventually bought, sure had signs. It was sick as all heck, sunken in so the ribs showed like covered only by skin. I've read what you said elsewhere about the abortions but also that some do become very ill and die from it. Others, if I recall correctly, are barely affected.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    How does he get away with donating the hog meat. I’m helping a landowner nearby trapping and was looking into donating the meat and hit a roadblock. Wild hogs are treated just like domestic and they must be inspected by a usda inspector before they are killed in order to donate/sell the meat. Is he also a certified usda inspector?

Call your local extension agent. He can likely help you donating the meat.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    When nitrates are present they do not dissipate after baling, prussic acid will. Death is within minutes. You are right the sorghums, sudan johnson grass and it occurs in new growth that undergoes stress, freeze or drought.

Johnson grass is in the sorghum grass family and under most conditions cattle can eat the grass.

You just have to know when and under what conditions it's safe for them to graze Johnson grass.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    That’s a goal at some point. We’ve looked into that. The cows are only good to us for the taxes and eating grass

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Talked to my Sis. You need to call Plateau Land and Wildlife Management or the State Wildlife and Management in order to transfer it to a Wildlife management However, the first two years in a aper work needs to be submitted by April 30th of this year. Plateau cost them $500.00 and the State will be free but much more work on your end.

Top Bottom