• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    How does he get away with donating the hog meat. I’m helping a landowner nearby trapping and was looking into donating the meat and hit a roadblock. Wild hogs are treated just like domestic and they must be inspected by a usda inspector before they are killed in order to donate/sell the meat. Is he also a certified usda inspector?
    I have no idea. He was recommended by the State. He also cooks the meat before it is donated He says it does not matter the size of the hog the way he cooks it.
    Capitol Armory ad

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    Gave up an ag exemption. Rather pay the tax. Heard Dell Computer in Austin ag exempted a ton of property. If it’s legal it’s legal.

Why do you think chevron and all the other gas companies that own thousands of acres have cattle. Majority of south side of Houston was owned by oil companies

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sobi1998

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2016
    My Sis has hers in wildlife habitat exemption. Fairly easy. They have a quail feeder, couple of deer feeding stations with protein blocks and a tank. The State even sets out hog traps and they have a man come out to butcher the hogs ( all sizes) and he then cooks the meat and donates the meat to Veterans in need. All fairly easy and straight forward and the State has been a big help.

Why is it that it’s easier to get a wildlife exemption if you already have an ag exemption?

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Lost in East Texas Elhart Texas
    I know of a few people that have wildlife exemptions, but I have no idea of what it required, or the steps involved in getting one.

Not even sure who to talk to about getting one either.

If someone could provide sources and links to sources that would be great information for everyone.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    Google is our friend!

From what I'm reading and understanding, you have to have an agricultural exemption first and then convert that to a wildlife exemption.

I provided some links to sources that can answer the questions much better than myself.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    I know of a few people that have wildlife exemptions, but I have no idea of what it required, or the steps involved in getting one.

Not even sure who to talk to about getting one either.

If someone could provide sources and links to sources that would be great information for everyone.

My Sister attended a seminar put on by the State and all requirements were explained. I believe cattle had been run on the land before it changed hands. Apparently the State folks have been very hepful as to explaining the requirements that need to be met and maintained. It’s not a big deal.

Axxe55

Retiretgtshit stirrer
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2019
    My Sister attended a seminar put on by the State and all requirements were explained. I believe cattle had been run on the land before it changed hands. Apparently the State folks have been very hepful as to explaining the requirements that need to be met and maintained. It’s not a big deal.

More than likely she already had the ag exemption so making the change probably wasn't that difficult.

mongoose

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 10, 2012
    nm
    More than likely she already had the ag exemption so making the change probably wasn't that difficult.

You are most likely correct. She did have someone wanting to run cattle but they were not interested in maintaining the fences. She is very much a newbie to this and she did not find it difficult. If you have the option with your land, I think cutting and baling hay is an easier way to go than raising cattle.

Last edited:

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    Blackleg. Definitely.
    Your whole place needs to be quarantined for 18 months.

JK.
    What TRN said.
    A big diet change can trigger some symptoms you describe. But we probably won't ever know.
    Next time, I'd suggest a shot of penicillin instead of trying to make a cow get up or move.

Cattle that old don't get blackleg. Cattle with blackleg will bloat rapidly and have a crinkly sound when the hand is rubbed over the skin of the leg.

Last edited:

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    What did you feed her? Sometimes if hay is rolled too early you can get some fungi, I seem to remember that happening to a friends livestock. Even feed (hay) with high nitrate concentrations can lead to death.

Nitrates are found in sudan and milo hay which is raised during drouth conditions.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    If you looked into her mouth you may find she has little or no teeth left. Sometimes a cow can look perfectly normal up until their end. They go downhill fast when their teeth go. Another and even more likely cause is poisoning through whatever she may have ate.

I've seen a cow die within hours of eating Johnson grass. It's highly toxic to them but they will go after it sometimes. I would poke around their grazing areas and make sure there aren't any big patches of it around. Golden rod will eventually give them the trembles and kill them too.

Johnson grass is a relative of sudan and can have nitrates. However, death from nitrates occurs within a matter of minutes of ingestion. They don't lay around for a day or two.

Sam Colt

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2012
    Austin
    Why is it that it’s easier to get a wildlife exemption if you already have an ag exemption?

The statutes governing property taxation of Section 1-d-1 open-spaced lands devoted to wildlife management purposes are set forth in Texas Tax Code, Chapter 23, Subchapter D, Appraisal of Agricultural Land. A property can only be assessed based on wildlife management use if at the time the wildlife management began the property was already being appraised as qualified open-spaced land under the Tax Code. TEX. TAX CODE §23.51(7)(A). This means that the property was being appraised as open-spaced land because the land had been devoted for five of the preceding seven years to producing crops, raising livestock, or producing timber, or the land was used as an ecological laboratory by a college or university. See TEX. TAX CODE §§23.51(1).

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    Johnson grass CAN be highly toxic during certain conditions. Usually drought stressed and fertilized too much causing prussic acid poisoning. Sorghum and Sudan are the same (same family), but the drying of hay will 99% of the time lower it to a safe level, so it's only the stuff currently growing in the fields that are a concern.

Other weeds are a possibility too. The key would be to monitor the other cows closely and see if any of the others develop symptoms. Otherwise a necropsy and lab tests is the only way to get all the answers.

When nitrates are present they do not dissipate after baling, prussic acid will. Death is within minutes. You are right the sorghums, sudan johnson grass and it occurs in new growth that undergoes stress, freeze or drought.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    The Johnson grass issue is prevalent after a prolonged dry spell followed by a good drenching rain. Acids develop on the leafy parts. A white powder/dust on the mature blades are a good sign of bad Johnson grass.

The problem occurs in the new growth usually less than 50cms in height. That means it is early in the season or regrowth after mowing.

Last edited:

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    You are most likely correct. She did have someone wanting to run cattle but they were not interested in maintaining the fences. She is very much a newbie to this and she did not find it difficult. If you have the option with your land, I think cutting and baling hay is an easier way to go than raising cattle.

From the photo seen around the cow you better get ready for a lot of clean up work. That pasture has too many obstacles in it to mow and bale.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    So, allow me to ask:

Are you saying she looked like this when you bought her or that she got like that after you bought her:

If she looked like that when you bought her, well - my guess is she was already on her way out.

In my limited experience, with farm animals - on my uncle's farm (both for years before & after he purchased the farm) - it sounds a lot like either a parasite infestation or possibly Brucellosis. I suppose it also could be a lot of other things, it would need a necropsy to determine what she had and I strongly recommend such in the event that it might be a disease transmittable to humans.

The two old ladies, who owned the farm that became my uncle's farm before my uncle bought it, had a small herd of milk cows. I recall one of them, much as you described and it was diagnosed with a late stage of Brucellosis and it had to be euthanized. Others of their small herd were found to be healthy; cows can often get it and recover but not all recover. Of course it could also be something else and as I said it is worth getting a necropsy to assure it is not something you could have picked up from handling her.

Cattle with brucellosis have abortions and usually no other signs. Man can get it from milk or uterine fluids getting into a wound. There are few diseases that transmit to man from cattle.

cvgunman

Not a Leftist douchebag!
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Oct 9, 2017
    Mckinney TX
    How does he get away with donating the hog meat. I’m helping a landowner nearby trapping and was looking into donating the meat and hit a roadblock. Wild hogs are treated just like domestic and they must be inspected by a usda inspector before they are killed in order to donate/sell the meat. Is he also a certified usda inspector?
    If you have a way to transport and are close by a holding station, you can sell your trapped hogs instead of killing them.

cherok2e

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2018
    Friona, TX
    65b3a467be1517928c0fdad89cd75e7c.jpg

I forgot to include the picture of her sitting several hours before I found her

I never got a look at her poop or teeth. All I know is that they were “dewormed” before arrival.

I drug her out to a far pasture and closed the gate to it. Cows can’t access her body

The vomit was very watery consistency and of course green. No blood in it

I’m new to owning cattle. I’ll keep that penicillin comment in mind and do some research on that

Are there any hedge apple (osage orange) growing in the pasture. It is not normal for cattle to vomit. What appears as vomit is actually some food and water which is trapped between the throat and the esophageal sphincter at the rumen/reticulum opening. The apple can not pass into the rumen blocking the movement of food and water. There can be quite a volume caught here. The animal dies of dehydration. Sometimes cattle eat them when other food is scarce.

Top Bottom