Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I was reminded today in another thread that not everyone has been around long enough to understand that Carter's Country is a terrible place. They are tolerable for some things but I don't know anybody who actually likes them.

In the interest of educating newbies, state a reason to hate Carter's. Long stories are welcome but I'll start with just a bullet point.

• The salespeople are liars. Before they sold Glocks, they routinely told all sorts of outrageous lies about how Glocks were inaccurate, dangerous, poorly designed, poorly constructed, etc.

Add to the list, folks.

PS - If anybody is actually a fan of Carter's, tell us why. Include some background on yourself, such as what planet you're from.
    DK Firearms

Moonpie

Omnipotent Potentate for hire.
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 4, 2013
    Gunz are icky.
    Overpriced. You can find the same guns $100 or more less elsewhere.
    Centerfire ammo is crazy price wise.
    Just forget a custom order. The asshattery on one of those deals is off the chain.

Typical Counter Commando inane drivel.
    Racking a pump shotgun makes Godzilla wet his pants, etc.
    A .22lr will go inside a human body and "bounce all around causing more damage than a .38". Yes, one of them actually told me that.
    One doofuss counter commando there told me recently they will not carry Colt 1911's in 9mm because they "wouldn't sell." Yet they always have Colt 1911's in .38Super. Yeah I bet those sell like hot cakes. Oh, just forget about all the OTHER 9mm pistols over in the other display case. They don't sell either.
    I've learned in CC they're like used car salesmen. Filter out the bullshit and buy the gun in front of you. Or not.

My main beef with CC tho is the owner fought like hell back in the day to keep gun shows out of Houston.
    Can't have Fudd McFuddypants spending his $500 over there when he could be spending his $800 at my store on the same gun.
    He lost.
    He was a millionaire already but **** you Mr.WorkingMan.

I still go in the stores because they're one of the few places that has the .22LR ammo I want at not completely unreasonable prices.

Last edited:

robertc1024

Staff member
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    San Marcos
    Drove by there a few times trying to stick my... forget it. Heard so many bad reviews, I'll just leave it alone.

SA_Steve

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 1, 2014
    San Antonio, Texas USA
    I did not know better, I bought my first handgun there. An H&R .22 - still have that one, and have replaced some worn out parts in it even. That purchase was 50 years ago - honestly.

ROGER4314

Been Called "Flash" Since I Was A Kid!
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 11, 2009
    East Houston
    Several years ago, Carters was extremely short of help so one of the guys there asked me if I'd fill out an application. I started filling out the paperwork until I got to the Polygraph page. That page required me to complete a pre-employment polygraph and to pledge that I would submit to random polygraph tests whenever they asked for one.

I asked them about that polygraph page and the answer suggested that a long term friend/employee of the boss was caught stealing from him. Every application since then has had that polygraph page.

I thanked them for their honesty, tore up the application and hit the door.

Flash

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    Compared to most of you I'm a relative newbie in the shooting sports, so my perspective may be a little different...

First off I should say that I don't hate Carter's Country. Like anything else in life it has it's positives and negatives, so I take it how it is, use it for what it's good for, and ignore it for anything else. All my comments relate to the store off I-10 in Spring Branch.

Pros:

- They generally have a lot of stuff in their store. As a new shooter I may be looking to purchase a specific item like a scope or a bench rest for the first time. Putting your hands on one and inspecting it for yourself can tell you much more than a picture and description on a web page. To that same end they have some higher-quality items that places like Academy or Bass Pro may not have.
    - Some salesmen know what they're talking about.
    - Some salesmen are courteous and helpful.
    - Store is clean, well lit, and usually well stocked in the things they normally carry.

Cons:

- Prices are not nearly as good as what you can find in some other stores or online.
    - Some salesmen may have no clue what they are talking about.
    - Some salesmen are downright rude and speak to you in a condescending manner.

I wasn't around for the whole "gun show" issue so while I know it happened in the past it just doesn't taint my view of them the same way it may for some of you guys.

Story time...

I bought my first firearm at Carter's, my Ruger 10/22, because I knew I could go in any day of the week and they would have it when I wanted it. I know it was going to be a little more expensive than buying it online, but as a newbie the process of buying a firearm was going to be unfamiliar enough without having to add in the additional layer of involving an FFL. I've subsequently gone through the FFL process and would feel completely comfortable buying a firearm online, but as a first timer I felt it was easier just going to a store.

I had a good experience there, the salesman was very courteous and helpful, and he walked me through the process with a smile and gave me a handshake as I walked out the door with my new toy.

Just one perspective.

Last edited:

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    All my comments relate to the store off I-10 in Spring Branch.
    Thanks for the perspective.

About that store, though, I was talking to a counterguy who was so full of BS it was actually entertaining. The store was busy right before Christmas so he actually answered a phone. His end of the conversation was "This is XXXXX. How can I help you? ... Uh, let me check." He then puts the phone on hold and goes back to regaling me with more stories. After he finished one, he picks up the phone and takes the guy off hold. "Sir? Yessir, I've checked. We have that shotgun in stock. You're welcome. Bye."

10 minutes later he's still talking to me when a guy walks up, gently interrupts, and says "Hi, XXXXX. I'm the guy who talked to you on the phone a few minutes ago. I live right near here so I thought I'd go ahead and drop by and get that shotgun."

The salesman went into full deer-in-the-headlights mode.

"Uh, sure. Let me go get it for you." Two minutes later, he's back. He shoots the guy a condescending story about how "We've got this big problem at this store. It's called 'customers.' Someone in here bought the last one we had in stock within the last few minutes. Sorry, buddy."

He was lying his ass off, of course. Oh, wait. That was exactly the same as my first bullet point; they're liars. Maybe I should expand on that first bullet point or simply rephrase:

• It has been repeatedly demonstrated that the corporate culture of Carter's encourages their employees to deal unethically with the public.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    My main beef with CC tho is the owner fought like hell back in the day to keep gun shows out of Houston.
    Can't have Fudd McFuddypants spending his $500 over there when he could be spending his $800 at my store on the same gun.
    He lost.
    He was a millionaire already but **** you Mr.WorkingMan.

Because Bill Carter was an anus that supported the so-called 'Assault Weapons Ban' - I still remember seeing him on TV discussing his support!

Running a gun store but not giving a tinker's damn about the 2nd Amendment. This is one we've seen repeatedly with CC and I just can't wrap my head around it.

benenglish

Just Another Boomer
    Staff member
    Lifetime Member
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Spring
    I'm surprised no one has posted about the way they run their range at the north side location.

• Cased guns are considered unsafe.
    • They're complete jerks about targets. You must use the ones you buy from them. The selection is mostly non-standard garbage. You can't turn them around and put a sticker on the back to aim at. If you shoot a bunch of rounds through a target, they've been known to tell you to stop shooting until you buy another.
    • ROs are nowhere to be found when you get muzzle-swept on the pistol line. It will happen.
    • ROs are so gobsmackingly incompetent that they have actually tossed people off the range for rapid fire with a single shot rifle. (I've told the story before so there's no reason to repeat it here.)
    I suppose there are ranges out there with wackier rules but I've never seen one run with such consistent incompetence.

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    I'm surprised no one has posted about the way they run their range at the north side location.

• Cased guns are considered unsafe.
    • They're complete jerks about targets. You must use the ones you buy from them. The selection is mostly non-standard garbage. You can't turn them around and put a sticker on the back to aim at. (... snip)

I've been up there once last year and I completely agree with you on these points.

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    I used to shoot exclusively at their range. I have bought a few guns from that store, and have no complaints.
    I guess I'm the one in a million.

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    Several years ago, Carters was extremely short of help so one of the guys there asked me if I'd fill out an application. I started filling out the paperwork until I got to the Polygraph page. That page required me to complete a pre-employment polygraph and to pledge that I would submit to random polygraph tests whenever they asked for one.

I asked them about that polygraph page and the answer suggested that a long term friend/employee of the boss was caught stealing from him. Every application since then has had that polygraph page.

I thanked them for their honesty, tore up the application and hit the door.

Flash

Take the polygraph, answer every single question with the answer "I am the Great Cornholio! Are you threatening me? "

Cost them money.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    I bought my first duty weapon from the west side store in 1978, a used 581 S&W. Went back a time or two but I have to admit the BS level was up there.
    The Pasadena/South Houston store treats people like criminals. Location location and so forth.
    The Spring/North location is not a "bad" outdoor range. You are being muzzle-swept often at every range indoor or out. Unless you think Aluminum stalls stop bullets. I have seen the RO's get stupid and I have seen them genuinely attempt to help folks that have no conception of gun safety. I avoid the place because they are stupid expensive, charging by the gun and the shooter. However when I want to get rid of that steel cased stuff we all bought cause it was in stock or cheap. I often end up there. Lets talk about the lazy indoor ranges that expect you to sort the brass for them. Their RO's often claim steel cases will start a fire on their floor when ejected. RO's as a group lie. All salesmen lie.
    I have no trouble at CC since I don't want to be tactical charlie and shoot sideways.
    Used to look forward to the Thursday ad. Sometimes their sales or finance offers were good. But there is no news in the local newspaper anymore so I seldom see it.
    The north store has lots of stuff you can handle and then order online.
    I was at the gun show in 1992 when the fool fired a .25 into the floor, grazed a ladies leg and ended Houston gun shows for awhile. I was standing at her husbands booth at the time. Carter did in fact jump on the bandwagon to stop gun shows and he did it out of greed. And all his stores are still around.
    Aren't we glad this is America where we can say no thanks and walk away.

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Austin
    I was in Houston last week visiting friends and we went to come gun stores. My first impression of Carters: lots of dead animals to look at. OK selection of firearms (compared to the other shop we went to, which had almost nothing). They had lots of ammo, including lots of .22. Prices on the guns were in "Gander Mountain" ripoff territory. $620 for a Glock 19. I would buy ammo there if I were in the area.

Top Bottom