Gun Zone Deals

Why does Austin have such crappy gun ranges.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mage2

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    south of texas capitol
    Lonestar is good for me, I have had many more sweeps when i was going to reds than all my hours at lone star.
    And for the most part they try to keep the place safe, without being asshats.
    Lynx Defense

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    The Red's indoor range in Oak Hill is a terrible place to shoot...
    Yeah, and there's this annoying guy who works there named Alan who's a real range nazi

I've never actually been to Reds south, but yeah I'm not a fan of indoor ranges in general. I really like Lonestar in Lockhart. I dig the laid back atmosphere. I had considered getting a membership at Austin Rifle Club, but when I go shooting I tend to drag a few casual and/or non-shooters with me. A membership at ARC wouldn't be anything they'd be interested in, so I would always end up at Lonestar anyways.

Machspass

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2008
    Red's is convenient but LOUD.
    ARC has something going on on the weekends I want to shoot.
    Been going to LSGR and it's pretty decent.

TexasFats

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 17, 2008
    Austin, Texas
    Red's North in Pflugerville is the only one I've been to. I have heard that the Red's South Location on 290 or wherever is pretty ratty compared to Red's North. I agree about indoor in general. One day, I left with a crashing headache because some lady on the rifle side was shooting black powder and didn't tell them that she was going to do that. The BP fumes were terrible.

I refuse to go to Red's on a Saturday (except, maybe, when the Superbowl is on) because it's too crowded. By the way, the same applies to golf courses here also.

Adan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2011
    Austin
    I just head down to taylor on my friends property, plus if we decide to go on an extended trip we can bring down some coyotes

hkdan

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2010
    austin
    I like lonestar and the owners. I just wish they would open a 2 or 300 yard range. 100 just gets silly after a while.

SIG_Fiend

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Admin
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 21, 2008
    Austin, TX
    We got kicked out of reds for passing an unloaded hand gun from one booth to another.
    never been back since.

In all fairness, it is against the rules there, and for good reason. It's the principle. When I worked there, I can't tell you how many people I stopped from doing that, whose guns were loaded, and that almost shot their buddies or loved ones in the face because of their lack of safety. Unloaded is one thing but, the general idea is just a liability which is why the rule is just NO across the board with that sort of stuff. Just not a good idea when people can simply switch lanes and avoid a lot of problems.

Anger

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 7, 2010
    Washington MI (glorious in summer)
    Your guys did hear the owner of lsgr did pass away friday before last in a tragic accident involving a dozer? I was only there one time for my chl training and I remember that guy. Nice dude, funny but serious. Shame really. I wish his wife and family well.

Im closer to eagles peak and head there most of the time but there's no hip drawing and what not. Reds does in a pinch but its generally crowded and loud.

LminusV

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 24, 2010
    Georgetown
    I frequent Astro Shooting Range up on 183 between Florence and Briggs. While I wouldn't call it a "State of the Art" facility, the people running it are very nice and friendly. Haven't seen any mall ninja/militia type people there, mainly soldiers out of Ft. Hood and us Williamson/Burnet/Bell County type "Rednecks". Everyone I've met out there seems to know which direction the muzzle goes. They have RO's but there's also kind of a self policing feel to it. No hip draw, no rapid fire. Not hourly, shoot as long as you like . I have yet to see it overcrowded there like I have at some other ranges.

Top Bottom