DK Firearms

Why Don't You Carry Switchblade.....or do you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BRD@66

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 23, 2014
    Liberty Hill

Btw, I'm one of the "early crop" of baby boomers (late-1946 model) and most every guy of my generation carries a pocketknife and/or sheath knife routinely.....
    And we always have and, like Reinz, we always will. These days a Kershaw with Speed Safe opening.
    Lynx Defense

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    I have a 20 year old Benchmade McHenry and Williams 710. It opens with a flick of the wrist and the blade is exactly the right shape for me. To replace it I would need to spend more than a coupe hundred but why replace it when it's still going strong? I have plenty of Swiss Army knives and other knives for chores and such. The 710 is for social situations. I have looked at switchblades but can't see a need to pull he trigger.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hoji

Bowling-Pin Commando
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Mustang Ridge
    I had a switchblade or two back in the day, the kind where the blade shoots straight out of the handle, but they were of such flimsy, shoddy construction, neither of them lasted a month. I don't think I ever even managed to go and cut anything with it.
    Microtech is the answer you are looking for.

Kar98

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2016
    DFW
    Microtech is the answer you are looking for.

I'm not looking for anything. I have a Ka-bar, a S&W and a couple Walther knives. Oh and two Leatherman tools. Almost forgot about the two Mauser bayonets.

Last edited:

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Ever since I was 4 years old I have had a knife in my pocket every day, even at school, all levels.

I'm from a generation that never considered carrying a pocket knife threatening.

The rage in the 70's was the Buck lockback folder which carried over into the 80's. In the 90's one hand openers exploded and are today's norm.
    Spring assist knives from the late 90's are still cool, but common.

The obvious next step are the switchblades, once taboo, but finally legal in Texas. However, I don't know anyone that carries one everyday.

A lot of gun and knife guys have always had at least one on the desk for opening mail and fidgeting with when on boring business calls. Or someone will bring one to a shoot to show off, then put it in the safe when he gets home.

Are we just conditioned since they have been illegal for so long?

I love them. I have about a dozen that range from ok quality to very nice. But I don't carry one.

I reckon for me, it's a safety and speed issue. That is, fear that it may open while I'm carrying, which means I need to use the safety if available. That means a slow draw/activation. Thus, I'm much faster with a one hander and have piece of mind that it will stay closed while carrying.

How bout you?

I don't carry one because I don't want to.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    I've carried a few automatics over the years. Being honest. It's the cool factor. I can close a manual knife with a flick. Open it faster. An auto blade has to be pushed back in. Then I got a Benchmade infidel. Out the front goodness.

As long as it clean. It's all slide button now. No flicking or pushing. D2 steel....

Charlie

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    'Top of the hill, Kerr County!
    I carry a "switch blade" daily. A $30 Boker. I makes it very easy to work on wiring, etc. when one needs more fingers and hands to deal with a situation. It's cheap and needs sharpened often but it's extremely convenient. It's just handy when it only takes one hand to open.

Bozz10mm

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 5, 2013
    Georgetown
    I bought a Boker Kalasnikov automatic, just as a novelty, after they were legalized. For $35, it turned out to be a pretty good knife. Now I have 3 of 'em. I was even more impressed with the Magnum. I don't normally carry a knife tho. There is always one within arms reach at the house, where I am most of the time.

Jack Ryan

Mr. Medium
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 22, 2016
    Eseldorf
    I've carried them for years. NEVER had one open accidentally in my pocket.

I have had that dumb safety slide up and stop it from opening.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Just be aware that not all states are switchblades legal. States like Louisiana & New Mexico that border Texas still consider it illegal.

TreyG-20

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Central
    I do carry a switchblade. I got a Boker Kalishnikov a couple of years ago. I carry it everywhere, every day and I love it. I've got Benchmades sitting in a drawer at home. The button is recessed into the handle and you have to mash on it pretty hard to open the knife. The likelihood of it going off on its own is similar to a gun going off without a finger in the trigger guard. They are easy to find - go to bladehq.com and click on "Automatic Knives."
    I have had this same knife for about 2 years. Great bang for the buck knife. I have had to sharpen it only once, but the finish is well worn. I switch it out with a gerber occasionally. Own a benchmade OTF before and it grew legs and jumped out of my pocket in 2 weeks! Costly mistake that I won't make again.

Mikewood

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2011
    Houston
    This Boker 01BO400N is nice. I think I might need one of these.

0a4c84b724251e1b5c4d569aeab515d7.jpg

deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    I've carried a few automatics over the years. Being honest. It's the cool factor. I can close a manual knife with a flick. Open it faster. An auto blade has to be pushed back in. Then I got a Benchmade infidel. Out the front goodness.

As long as it clean. It's all slide button now. No flicking or pushing. D2 steel....

Guys don't carry an auto knife for the folding in. They carry it for the opening up part. ;)

I won't ever go back unless the law is changed again. I love being able to pop that knife open by simply pushing a button.

45tex

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 1, 2009
    Years ago I bought one off a fellow officer $7. It bothered me for a couple of weeks being worried about it opening up. Very handy for cutting rope or tape when you don't have two hands. It never once opened in my right back pocket, and I still own it today. It finally lost some of the tiny nuts and bolts that hold it together. But still functions if I hold it tight. Shopping for another one now.

TheDan

deplorable malcontent scofflaw
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Austin - Rockdale
    Pretty much every objection to automatic knives listed above, the Boker eliminates.
    The Boker is a decent knife for $40, but I've got a few assisted openers from SOG and Kershaw in the same price range that a little better made. It's definitely not as nice as a typical Benchmade or ZT. The thing that really bugs me is that a regular Benchmade is around $100, but the auto will be three times that. All for a little spring. WTF...

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    The Boker is a decent knife for $40, but I've got a few assisted openers from SOG and Kershaw in the same price range that a little better made. It's definitely not as nice as a typical Benchmade or ZT. The thing that really bugs me is that a regular Benchmade is around $100, but the auto will be three times that. All for a little spring. WTF...

Well, the Benchmade autos have alloy scales. I've haven't seen one that the blade isn't made out of high end, designer, steel.

I've broke the spring on a benchmade. It was an older one. The knife/parts are in a bag somewhere. It was the only auto that broke on me. Should have mailed it back. The circle spring broke in half.

Chipped the blade on another benchmade that wasn't an auto. It was 440c steel. Big chip out the cutting edge. Mailed it back and a new blade returned. So warranty is spot on. Hard to tell they took the knife apart.

There's a total of five benchmade in this household. From a fixed blade model 162 to an OTF 3300 infidel. Two model 522's.

Benchmade are expensive but Lord it's a nice knife.

Top Bottom