APOD Firearms

Why Don't You Carry Switchblade.....or do you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deemus

my mama says I'm special
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    DFW
    My $40 Bokers have been run over by cars and 4-wheelers, gutted various critters, pried auto parts off my cars, sliced apples and summer sausage, and generally been used and abused. Because.... well, $40.

Not a one has broken, and they all keep their edge like no other knife I've owned. I keep one in every vehicle.

I bought a Schrade auto at the Market Hall Gun show a while back, but its still in the box, and will likely become a gift.
    Venture Surplus ad

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015
    The Boker is pretty solid for the money. Nice looking damascus blade (cost a little extra). Tight fit. Good operation.

Thanks to those who mentioned it.

Jakashh

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 30, 2010
    Sugar Land
    I use to have a boker kalashnikov auto. Very decent knife for the money, although I have no idea what I did with it. After I bought my Benchmade 710 I started to neglect the boker and didn't carry it much anymore.
    I have the faintest memory of giving it away to someone, but I cannot for the life of me remember who I gave it to or if I even gave it away to anyone to begin with or just misplaced it.

Anywho, I'm contemplating buying another one to replace it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

smithintx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    mid cities
    i know nothing about knives. how can you tell which knife wll serve what particular use? i see nothing telling that in description of knives

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    i know nothing about knives. how can you tell which knife wll serve what particular use? i see nothing telling that in description of knives

Look at the type of blade steel. Research that steel. The blade is what makes the knife. Cheaper the knife the cheaper the steel. The handle comes next. Most all brands can take abuse. The difference between the brand's is the steel they use to make the blade.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Next step is research the blade design. Why it's the shape it is and why it was made that way.

You have knives designed to cut the balls off sheep. Then you have designs meant solely to kill a man.

Knifes are pretty neat to read about.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    HK
    Keep in mind that the high end steels keep a scary edge for longer....but are a bit¢h to sharpen. Next time you're at the sporting store. Notice the diamond dust knife sharpeners.

The modern steels are like nothing you've ever seen. Continuous top of the line is American made. Japanese second. They're posers. Third is Chinese. They've beat the slave labor hard enough to produce decent steels.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx

Although it's about folders and not switchblades, it's a good video that explains prices, steels and materials somewhat in the more popular knives.

smithintx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    mid cities
    do you carry pocket knives for self protection, for protection against animals? what would be best value in that?
    overall which knives would be best value daily carry for all around purposes?

TxStetson

Opinionated and Irritable
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    The Big Country
    do you carry pocket knives for self protection, for protection against animals? what would be best value in that?

You can't ask a question like that around here. You might as well have asked which is better, 9mm or 45. Glock or1911?

Orbie

Born Texan
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 21, 2011
    San Antonio
    I do carry a switchblade. I got a Boker Kalishnikov a couple of years ago. I carry it everywhere, every day and I love it. I've got Benchmades sitting in a drawer at home. The button is recessed into the handle and you have to mash on it pretty hard to open the knife. The likelihood of it going off on its own is similar to a gun going off without a finger in the trigger guard. They are easy to find - go to bladehq.com and click on "Automatic Knives."

That's what I carry.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Both! If the situation called for it I'm going to use whatever means is at my disposal.
    Mainly a knife that keeps an edge well, I don't always carry sharpening tools.

oldag

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 19, 2015

So many questions you need to answer by yourself first.

Size - How large a knife do you want to carry. Not just closed length, but also width and thickness.
    Carry location - Pocket? Belt pouch? This may influence the size issue.
    Locking blade?
    Opening method? Soon you will be able to carry automatic legally, should you desire. No assist?
    Blade design?
    Price ceiling?

ZX9RCAM

Over the Rainbow bridge...
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    So many questions you need to answer by yourself first.

Size - How large a knife do you want to carry. Not just closed length, but also width and thickness.
    Carry location - Pocket? Belt pouch? This may influence the size issue.
    Locking blade?
    Opening method? Soon you will be able to carry automatic legally, should you desire. No assist?
    Blade design?
    Price ceiling?

What does this mean?

ETA: It's a shame one needs to click to expand quoted posts in the new version. About the only thing I don't like.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Automatics have been legal to carry in TX since 2015. The change Sept 1 will allow any type of blade configuration (like double-edged). Before 2015, cities/counties could keep you from doing it...though the state said automatic knives were legal in 2013...we needed the pre-emptive law to make it work. With the new law, we're almost there. I'd like to see them do away with the part of the law that restricts where we can carry over 5 1/2" blades...maybe next time.

It's only a matter of time before someone builds a Texas-SIZED switchblade!!! (with a Bowie blade, of COURSE)

Last edited:

acorneau

Well-Known
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 5, 2014
    Houston
    do you carry pocket knives for self protection, for protection against animals?

For me, no, I carry a knife as an "always with me" tool set. Sometimes I need a blade to cut something, sometimes a screwdriver, sometimes tweezers, etc. That's why I carry what I do, a Victorinox Tinker. I could just as easily carry a Leatherman or some other multi-tool but the Tinker is the best compromise of size, weight, cost, number of tools, etc., for my needs.

...overall which knives would be best value daily carry for all around purposes?

You have to decide for yourself why you want to carry a knife and what you want it to do. Then proceed down the rabbit-hole of options that fit your requirements.

Good luck.

Top Bottom