Why Don't You Carry Switchblade.....or do you?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • smithintx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    mid cities
    carry length - upto 5.5 inch but preferably 3.5 inch
    location - pocket - but how do you keep it from falling out
    --method of opening - dont know what that means
    --dont know what locking or automatic means?
    price ceiling - $150 but looking for best values.
    man o man i didnt think this was so complicated
    Lynx Defense

smithintx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2017
    mid cities
    Automatics have been legal to carry in TX since 2015. The change Sept 1 will allow any type of blade configuration (like double-edged). Before 2015, cities/counties could keep you from doing it...though the state said automatic knives were legal in 2013...we needed the pre-emptive law to make it work. With the new law, we're almost there. I'd like to see them do away with the part of the law that restricts where we can carry over 5 1/2" blades...maybe next time.

It's only a matter of time before someone builds a Texas-SIZED switchblade!!! (with a Bowie blade, of COURSE)
    what is this law? do you have link to it?

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Automatics have been legal to carry in TX since 2015. The change Sept 1 will allow any type of blade configuration (like double-edged). Before 2015, cities/counties could keep you from doing it...though the state said automatic knives were legal in 2013...we needed the pre-emptive law to make it work. With the new law, we're almost there. I'd like to see them do away with the part of the law that restricts where we can carry over 5 1/2" blades...maybe next time.

It's only a matter of time before someone builds a Texas-SIZED switchblade!!! (with a Bowie blade, of COURSE)
    The way I read the new law is that you can carry a blade over 5 1/2" long, but it is now called "area restricted". Basically the same rules for handguns apply to knives over 5 1/2" long.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    what is this law? do you have link to it?
    It's three laws-one from 2013 where the state said it was legal...one from 2015 to keep the cities and counties from passing laws to keep us from doing what the state says is legal...and the one that takes effect in Sept. of this year, which makes any type of blade legal, only restricting blades over 5 1/2" some places. I'll look up the links to all three after my coffee-just woke up and the screen's doing funny things.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    The way I read the new law is that you can carry a blade over 5 1/2" long, but it is now called "area restricted". Basically the same rules for handguns apply to knives over 5 1/2" long.
    Yup-and that makes no sense at all...just like the guns...if you're good to carry-you're good to carry. Punish the evildoers and leave the vast majority alone...but that wouldn't be politics, would it.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    I don't carry a switchblade because my open assist is pretty much as fast as any switchblade I've ever handled. And less frowned upon.
    For many years, I carried a Puma single blade folder-I could snap it open with my wrist using centrifugal force...as i pulled it out of my pocket. Have owned others that "loose" but Puma worked EVERY time. It was plenty fast. it wasn't open assist...didn't touch the blade. Studs and open assist knives came much later.

sylvirfoxx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2017
    Texas
    Same here. I am often asked if mine is a switchblade because of how easy and fast it opens.
    Yep, been asked that, too. I like mine a lot. It's a good blade.
    For many years, I carried a Puma single blade folder-I could snap it open with my wrist using centrifugal force...as i pulled it out of my pocket. Have owned others that "loose" but Puma worked EVERY time. It was plenty fast. it wasn't open assist...didn't touch the blade. Studs and open assist knives came much later.
    I got pretty fast with my dad's big Cold Steel folder (not as fast as he is lol), but I personally prefer carrying the assist. I tend to unintentionally stick myself with loose blades.

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    I can't say for all ZT's, but the carbon fiber open assist I have (although I haven't opened to see), I was told has bearings and spring to where you don't need to use your wrist, but still not considered a switchblade.

sylvirfoxx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2017
    Texas
    I can't say for all ZT's, but the carbon fiber open assist I have (although I haven't opened to see), I was told has bearings and spring to where you don't need to use your wrist, but still not considered a switchblade.
    Which ZT? I got my husband a carbon fiber ZT for Christmas last year.

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    My Pumas stayed closed real well-but were light enough in the spring to sling open. I've admired a lot of the Cold Steel stuff but haven't owned one...do you know which model your Dad has? I had an uncle who could hold the back edge of the blade and use the weight of the case to open it-then shift his grip to the case...just as fast as I could sling the blade on mine. Where there's a will...

easy rider

Summer Slacker
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Which ZT? I got my husband a carbon fiber ZT for Christmas last year.
    0770CF. I bought it about 3 years ago.
    0770CF.jpg

Nightwatch

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2014
    Second time I've seen the ZT mentioned and I looked 'em up...look tough and sturdy.

sylvirfoxx

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2017
    Texas
    My Pumas stayed closed real well-but were light enough in the spring to sling open. I've admired a lot of the Cold Steel stuff but haven't owned one...do you know which model your Dad has? I had an uncle who could hold the back edge of the blade and use the weight of the case to open it-then shift his grip to the case...just as fast as I could sling the blade on mine. Where there's a will...
    I tried like crazy to figure out which model he had so I could get him an exact replacement of his (he'd had it for years and used it mercilessly and the blade finally broke on him), but his was an older one and I couldn't find it for the life of me. So I got him a bigger one.

I'm pretty sure it was one of the Voyager models. Not 100% sure it was this model here, but it was very similar to it. He has always seemed pretty happy with his CS blades.
    images

Top Bottom