• SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Baileys is an interesting place. ol' Mrs. Bailey, while cranky as all hell, knows her stuff.
    Capitol Armory ad

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    Baileys is an interesting place. ol' Mrs. Bailey, while cranky as all hell, knows her stuff.

That's her alright. There's another lady (blonde hair?) working there, that's very helpful especially with people having trouble sighting in their rifles.

mrseatle

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    SW Houston
    I got kicked off the Clear Creek range back in 1998.

Baileys is ok, but last time I went there, they only allowed shooters to load one cartridge into a magazine, turning a semi auto into a single shot that takes forever to reload. I guess it was good practice, but still, that is rediculous.

PSC sounds pretty interesting, are they any better than Bayou Rifles?

tedwitt

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Magnolia, Texas
    Sportsmans Outlet

I had wondered what happened there, the last time I went by they were cleaning up and a camper was out front. Security I guess. I feel sorry for Mr. Lee. he is a really nice guy, there were quite a few antiques in there that people had loaned them. That's where I got my CHL.

Wolfwood

Self Appointed Board Chauvinist
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 12, 2009
    "dont touch me! dont you touch me! especiually since tyou are seven feet away and that is the distance my pistol is zeroed at!"

i need to start a range, and do it right.
    tgters get in free for life ;)

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Everyplace is going to have some negative comments.

The problem is that some places . . . . like ASC, League City, etc. have a lot of negatives and they have a lot of negatives for a reason.

I don't like ol'Lady Bailey's rules on the rifle line. But the one of the three times I have been out there in the pst 10 years, I wasn't on paper at 100 yards and she . . . . . . while watching me like a hawk to make sure I didn't load more than 1 round in my bolt gun at a time, watched a shot and told me how many clicks to put into the scope and she got me on paper.

ASC had enough Range Nazis that I will not spend time on their 100 yard line. I only shoot at the 200 or farther.

Lyte-

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 21, 2009

Wow this is really close to my house!

I pass this place all the time it looks like!

I googled them but I can't seem to find their website.

I am not sure about loading 1 round at a time, thats worse then CA rules at least we get a 10 rounds per mag :)

Any other places I can take my AR?

markfh

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Houston
    Although I've never had a problem at ASC I prefer shooting at the Bayou Rifles Club ranges either at Eldridge or the Juliff range off 288 at county road 57.

I also shoot at the Impact Zone north of Brookshire.

mrseatle

BANNED!!!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 27, 2009
    SW Houston
    Someday I'd like to try to become a Bayou Rifles Member, been out there with co-workers who are members and it's nice having the range all to yourself. The steel targets are fun!

I forgot to add earlier that one of the fun parts about going to Hotwells and Bailey's is the three-legged dogs and the peacocks running around on the range during live fire! Funny stuff....

dbgun

TGT Addict
    TGT Supporter
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Houston, TX.
    I am not sure about loading 1 round at a time, thats worse then CA rules at least we get a 10 rounds per mag :)

I guess this isn't a problem with me, because I'm usually there to sight in a scope on a hunting rifle, which I take 3 to 5 minutes between shots. I can see it (one round at a time) being a pain, if you want to shoot a semi-auto like a Mini-14 or AR15.

thorkyl

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Brazoria County
    I took my CHL class there with trug as the instructor.
    While doing the shoot, I had a missfeed in my 1911. (my fault bad grip)
    He came up behind me as I was removing the mag to solve the jam and reached over my shoulder and took the 1911 from my hand.

I completed the class and have never been back.
    I actually went and took a renewal class 2 weeks later just because I felt he was miss leading the students in the laws and such.

I have not been able to get to the PSC new member safety meeting to join yet but I do make the drive to Brazoria to Greenwood and use the one at my house.

Rebel8ball

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Alvin
    ya know i have read several of these kind of posts in several places, when i started shooting last year this was the closest range to me (besides psc since i wasnt a member there) so i went there, and i didnt have a single issue then or any of the subsiquent times i went, only yelling i heard was someone rapid firing got a good dose of the little guys wrath... of the four or five times ive used the place he was only there that one time, i think that might have something to do with my luck? i had read so many bad things i had started using tx city municipal instead.. twice as far to drive but a very nice range and when taking my kids or my father in law i decided to err on the side of sanity...
    anyways now that i joined psc last nite i wont worry about going back out there.

jgon281

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2009
    Sugar Land
    the Texas city range is fun and the guys are polite. American shooting center range is a great place as well ... ASC guys have to deal w/ so many people that it can get hairy for them w/ so many beginners going there . It can wear on a guy from time to time so understand that they are for safety first and keep it in mind when you go there ...I like shooting at ASC very much !!!!!! the end

Exile Machine

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2009
    Dallas Texas
    A&R -- Had a similar bad experience there with the yelling by range officers during cease fire when I was there years ago. It's one thing to be safe, it's another thing to be mean and nasty. Never been back. Something to be said for treating the customers right.

TXCleaver

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Austin
    That sounds brutal at A&R...wow.

When I lived in Houston, I normally went to ASC (unless it was underwater!) I loved driving out there, and sympathized w/ most of the range employees there dealing w/ beginners.

I only had one issue at ASC -- being accused of rapid firing my 9MM when I wasn't. I never could figure out why the dude accused me of that, when my shots were AT LEAST a second apart.

Regardless, these days I much prefer a range with more experienced shooters and thus fewer restrictions re: rapid fire.

Every Day Man
    Tyrant

Support

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Rjdearinger2
    Top Bottom