• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Detritus

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Lake Jackson, TX
    I dislike PSC's close association and mandatory support of the NRA.

This, plus the reaction of the PSC member i was talking to with regard to joining at that time (early 2001) when i dared utter the words "I'm not currently an NRA member", ie the guy went from friendly to close to calling me a closet pinko in seconds, are the 2nd and 3rd reasons I've never bothered to look into joining there in the 11 years since (#1 is driving distance compared to my current club). Even though everyone I talk to says the facilites etc out there are better than Greenwood (current range) in a number of ways.
    Leaving out long un-needed rant on the NRA. Suffice it to say that for my own reasons, that do not need to be voiced here, I will not be joining the NRA anytime soon if ever.

I too will jump on the "avoid Bailey's" band wagon, will say in their case i'm a little more sympathetic since i know a number of the rules they have that seem strange at first glance are in place so that they can better protect themselves from being summarily shutdown. kinda hard on a range when a major roadway (BW 8) isn't all that far beyound your backstop.

TheRealT-Dawg

Devil Dog 4Life
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2012
    MO City, TX
    I second in the stand of "avoinding Baileys", only shot there twice and never again. 1st time was when i got my first handgun and was new to pistol shooting so the rules didnt bother me, 2nd was when i got my .30-06... i got past the "load 1 shoot 1" rule, but then the old woman in the wheel chair rolled up, yelling on why i was shooting while she was down range, I told her i was clear to shoot whenever according to the guys working inside... it wasnt my fault, i got the green light to shoot. Plus, my one of my Brother-in-law's, on the same day, asked one of the youngbucks working behind the counter if they had a specific gun in stock out of curiosity, and he had this whole grumpy spill on how he had to call the dealer or some shit.... so, never again lol

Currently, if i want to shoot a rifle or a shotgun, i go to American Shooting Center. For handguns, Top Gun... mostly cuz they allow rapid fire and i like that i can practice drills rather than marksmanship (although i can do that there too)... of course, if i have the opportunity to go shoot on some one's property then hell yeah!

My other Brother-in-law had a Membership at Bayou Rifle Co. and they seemed pretty good to go, plus their membership fee was very affodable... so im thinking of getting a membership there when finance's are forgiving enough haha!

Knosaj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Houston
    It's a shame that people are pooh poohing on league city. I've been going to that range since I was a kid and my dad was taking me. 40 yrs later they are the same place as always. A simple, good range that has been around for ever!

Yes they are stern, as most good ranges are. SAFETY IS THE CONCERN, NOT YOUR NANCY LIKE FEELINGS! Ever notice bullet holes in the roof or just in front of the targets? It's because idiots don't know how to behave.

I have heard them, and many other range officers chew people's asses. As a range officer there is little to no room for leaniancy. Trust me, I was a firearms instructor in the marines. If you aren't always on to of it something can and always eventually does happen.

If I hurt your feelings on the line, but you and everyone else is safe...tough! Get some thicker skin or go away. - once we are off the range, let's have a beer and fire up the pit and you can tell me what an asshole I was. I will probably aggree.

mortdooley

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2008
    Texas Gulf Coast
    There is no way to justify the behavior I have seen Al Tuggs display the few times I went there and I feel he should not be allowed to own sharp objects much less have anything to do with firearms.

grumper

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    Austin
    It's a shame that people are pooh poohing on league city. I've been going to that range since I was a kid and my dad was taking me. 40 yrs later they are the same place as always. A simple, good range that has been around for ever!

Yes they are stern, as most good ranges are. SAFETY IS THE CONCERN, NOT YOUR NANCY LIKE FEELINGS! Ever notice bullet holes in the roof or just in front of the targets? It's because idiots don't know how to behave.

I have heard them, and many other range officers chew people's asses. As a range officer there is little to no room for leaniancy. Trust me, I was a firearms instructor in the marines. If you aren't always on to of it something can and always eventually does happen.

If I hurt your feelings on the line, but you and everyone else is safe...tough! Get some thicker skin or go away. - once we are off the range, let's have a beer and fire up the pit and you can tell me what an asshole I was. I will probably aggree.

Did you or the other Marine recruits pay the Corps for that kind of treatment? Or am I right in suspecting that they paid you instead?

If I am paying someone for a service I expect a certain level of common courtesy. Business ethics, common decency, whatever you want to call it... that place has none. Since I'm the one shelling out the money as the customer, I'm quite happy choosing PSC instead, even if they require everyone to join the NRA. Hadn't been treated like dirt for no reason there yet.

There's a huge difference between being chewed out for putting a round over the berm or into the shooting bench, and being treated like shit for simply being there.

AKM

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    Around
    Did you or the other Marine recruits pay the Corps for that kind of treatment? Or am I right in suspecting that they paid you instead?

If I am paying someone for a service I expect a certain level of common courtesy. Business ethics, common decency, whatever you want to call it... that place has none. Since I'm the one shelling out the money as the customer, I'm quite happy choosing PSC instead, even if they require everyone to join the NRA. Hadn't been treated like dirt for no reason there yet.

There's a huge difference between being chewed out for putting a round over the berm or into the shooting bench, and being treated like shit for simply being there.

Well said, and i dont say that just because I get to play with your toys. lol

chris211

Gimme Back My Bullets!
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2012
    TX
    I have been there 7 or 8 times in the past two months and have never run into Al. From what I have read, he must be an asshole, just have had the luck to have the young guy run the place or the gal, who can be a little gruff in her own way. The place is a little more than neglected and getting run down, but cheaper than the other local range. I'm thinking maybe ol' Al don't do weekends anymore?

Knosaj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Houston
    Someone who has only posted twice and jumps into this thread sounds like a relative or close friend of the offending party.

I see how that could be an easy conclusion to make, but please don't assume that you know me. I am neither.

Ive just never had ny problems with them. And I've been going since the old mans wife used to sit out with the only range scope and would call shots for shooters.

Knosaj

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Houston
    Ok look. I can tell I will enjoy this forum, and would rather not get banned right off the bat so I'm not going to get strung out in this and this will be my last post on the subject. Feel free to bash, slander, whine or cry, until you get whatever it is off your chest to make you feel content.

No, I did not technically compensate the corp to be a marine...but trust me, I paid. What kind of question is that.
    - if you want to be pampered go to a salon and get a manicure.

Apparently it has been observed by several that ole tugg ( if that's his name) has a tendancy to go overboard. Honestly I can't comment on that. As I've said, of the nearly 40 years I've been going out there I've never heard any more than a normal line officer ass chewing. I guess on the days I was out everyone was doing what they were supposed to. Good, I'm thankful!

Heck, I once approached the line for a split second at hot wells. My wife left her bolt closed so i was going to open it..."real fast" and i Got an earful from the line officer. Yes, at that space in time I thought what an ass! I got a tad hot in the collar because it embarrassed the hell out of me in front of my wife. But, kept my mouth shut because I knew I was wrong. I didnt argue or talk back or anything that could be mistaken as. But you bet your ass that Next time I won't forget to yell down to the officer and ask to approach the bench. But once the moment had passed, I understood that it was not at all personal and he was simply doing his job.

My point is that range officials are there to make you and everyone there safe. This has to be accomplished by keeping in mind there are people with all sorts of skill levels and they have to assume that everyone is an idiot. Whether they think that is true of you or not.

Dont do stupid things and you will never hear a shout directed at you. Then you can laugh when someone else is taking the ribbing.

They are not there to make you all warm and fuzzy.

The reason the young ones are so easy to be around is because most don't yet have the balls to call you on everything they see wrong where as an old timer is tired of the idiots doing stupid crap and will jump in someone's ass in a heartbeat.

Hell, maybe they are all just half def and have to yell just to hear themselves talk.

-out.

craigntx

Masta Copypasta
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    Cypress, Tejas
    i did my chl with al back in '04. i think he's getting a little senile in his old age, or bi-polar.
    when he first got his new atv's we were talking about them and he informed me his wife wont let him ride it.
    i said, loud enough for her to hear "well it's your place aint it?"
    shoulda seen the glare i got from her
    hehe

is the texas city municipal range still there?
    never had a problem there

Top Bottom