Hurley's Gold

Last edited:

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!
    Ouch. Guessing warranty didn't cover that?

Not mine, so I have not heard yet. I read on another forum where it happened to another guy. He enlarged the pin hole so it was voided by AREs Defense. They had him buy another upper receiver, and he said it took way to long to get it done. He also had a photo of a bolt that was fixing to shear off.

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    How many of those things do they make a year, anyways?

The Ares shrike thing seems like it's been going on over a decade...

baboon

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 6, 2008
    Out here by the lake!

IIRC it took 10 years from deposits to delivering the first units. A buddy of mine put up the $2K original buy in. Seen the guy @ a SHOT Show & told him he wanted his money back & got it.

Seen another one that seemed to run fine, but after a few belts said it was for sale.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas

Some folks sent in money in summer 2002 and still do not have them. There is one born every minute....

Mongo

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Houston area
    nope, funny thing is on the subguns board I posted after shooting one of the prototypes that the upper was over gassed and would have breakage issues and many at that time said I was full of it. Well, it seems I have been proved right.

the design still has problems and is very finicky and I'm not sure they can be adequately solved given the size restrictions of using the M-16 as the base receiver.

1Andy2

Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 28, 2008
    Beeville
    What I'd like to see is a scale model 1919 in 5.56 designed to utilize the existing 5.56 links.

Totally impractical, but I think it would be neat.

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    nope, funny thing is on the subguns board I posted after shooting one of the prototypes that the upper was over gassed and would have breakage issues and many at that time said I was full of it. Well, it seems I have been proved right.

the design still has problems and is very finicky and I'm not sure they can be adequately solved given the size restrictions of using the M-16 as the base receiver.

That doesn't look like a super strong part of the MCR "Shrike" upper but it also doesn't look any weaker than any other AR type upper. These uppers are only "finicky" to people who don't understand how the AR platform works. Most ARs use standardized parts. Even people who build their own, use mostly standard parts. This makes the whole system relatively forgiving. Then when you introduce anything out of the ordinary like a belt feed system, all of a sudden, it's the guns fault somehow and it is labeled "finicky". Nobody seems to remember that even though standard parts will fit (and find their way into) these rifles, they will not always work. Someone who has no idea what they are doing labels the upper as "finicky" and the story just keeps getting repeated. It took about 10 rounds to set mine up and I have not had a single issue or misfire. The thing shoots from the magazine and runs through belts with no problem.

How many are still waiting?

It's never mentioned anymore. Seems people have given up

Nobody is still waiting. I watched the Shrike back in 1997. Back in those days, I didn't have two dimes to rub together. No way I could come up with the deposit. But I watched, and wanted. Nobody got any gun until sometime around 2002 or 2003. That was just the start. It would take years before all the initial depositors got their gun. If I recall, it took til sometime around 2013. That is a long time to have $2K tied up with nothing to show for it. I never put down a deposit, I just ordered and got mine about a year ago.

You can, however, call Ares Defense or one of their distributors, and get one for yourself today with no problem.

As a side note, it is not uncommon for a company to not honor warranty if the product was altered from the original manufactured condition.

Last edited:

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    1. My understanding is that there are still outstanding initial deposits. I could be wrong.

2. If m9ngo says they are finicky you can bet they are finicky. My guess is that mongo has a very fundamental understanding of the M16. Every shrike that I've seen in operation seems to be somewhat finicky.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

TinCuda

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 3, 2016
    1. My understanding is that there are still outstanding initial deposits. I could be wrong.

2. If m9ngo says they are finicky you can bet they are finicky. My guess is that mongo has a very fundamental understanding of the M16. Everyone that I've seen operation seem to be somewhat finicky.

I had reservation posting at all after reading some of the other threads. This is clearly not the forum for me.

Peace.

SC-Texas

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    Houston, TX
    Tin cuda. Not at all. This is the forum.

Your post was well written. I just have heard different.

Mongo is heap smart injun when it comes to firearms design and machine guns.

Top Bottom