ARJ Defense ad

Why it’s good to have more then one LTC besides Texas....

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Texas

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Here are several reasons to have more then one LTC other then just your home state of Texas.

1. If you loose, misplace or destroy your Texas LTC card, you are not legally allowed to carry until you receive your replacement LTC. If you have one from another state Texas has reciprocity with, you can continue to legally carry. This will change if Texas passes Constitutional carry this year.

2. Not all states recognize your Texas LTC. Or even one case, of a constitutional carry state, you can’t carry in their state parks or national park without their LTC or one they recognize (Maine). Washington, Minnesota, Maine, New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Maryland, Massachusetts, Rhode Island, California, Oregon, & Hawaii all do not recognize the Texas LTC. So you either need a license from one of those states, or a license that they recognize.

3. Redundancy. a state that recognizes the Texas license today, may not tomorrow. However if you have their LTC, or one that they recognize then you will still be covered.

I have Utah which allows me to carry in Washington, I have Illinois which allows me to carry in Illinois and Minnesota, I Have Connecticut to carry in that state, Maine for their state and national parks. Plus I have them as well as New Hampshire for reasons 1 and 3. I may pickup Arizona and Utah for reasons 1 & 3 as well.
    Target Sports

striker55

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 6, 2021
    Katy
    My brother who lives in NY (not the big city upstate) when he was getting his LTC signed by a judge he talked to a guy who was trying to get a LTC in every state. I turned in my NY license when I moved to TX.

candcallen

Crotchety, Snarky, Truthful. You'll get over it.
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 23, 2011
    Little Elm
    So when they start confiscating guns doesn't it make it easier to track someone down if they are registered in many states with an LTC? ;)
    The gooberment loves lists. There are many to compair that actually prove you own a gun. Most they can get for the asking. So this theory is too little too late.

Mowingmaniac 24/7

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2015
    Might be a fine idea if one travels outside the state, but since I don't and have zero plans to ever again, my LTC is good enough.

Plus, I've had a CHL and now an LTC since they were obtainable and have yet to ever lose one so there's that.

Might be a fun hobby, but perhaps costly...?

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    So when they start confiscating guns doesn't it make it easier to track someone down if they are registered in many states with an LTC? ;)

Depends on the state, and who’s is doing the tracking and confiscating. At least for the state licenses I have, they have no clue to how many guns I do have, or even what guns I have. Even the ATF while they do know what NFA items I have, they have no clue as to any of my other firearms.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    Might be a fine idea if one travels outside the state, but since I don't and have zero plans to ever again, my LTC is good enough.

Plus, I've had a CHL and now an LTC since they were obtainable and have yet to ever lose one so there's that.

Might be a fun hobby, but perhaps costly...?

I agree, for someone who never travels. Additional
    LTC’s CHL’s might not be of any benefit. Except if one looses their license. However, there is always a first time. Never say never. I also wish you the best of luck in continuing to never loose it in the future. Of course if Texas passes constitutional carry this year, then it will be a moot point and no reason to continue to maintain a Texas LTC other then saving you from future background checks on future firearms purchases.

Sasquatch

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 20, 2020
    Magnolia
    Welps - I'm on the "hope Texas goes Constitutional Carry" bandwagon right now. I"m still in license limbo - a couple of my must-have documents got lost before my appointment with DPS to get a TDL - I had to buy a new birth certificate and order a new social security card. I've ordered the later twice now, with no success. My birth certificate came. I have a new TDL appointment on 02 Feb, provided I can either find my old SS card, or the SSA gets off their asses and sends the new one finally.

Texas doesn't honor Oregon's permit, because Oregon doesn't honor *anyone's* permit. I should've got a Utah permit or something before moving here, but even still they're going to want proper up to date documentation & matching ID's so I'd still be up a creek. I'd say we need national reciprocity, but that'll never happen now.

rotor

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2015
    Texas
    I agree, for someone who never travels. Additional
    LTC’s CHL’s might not be of any benefit. Except if one looses their license. However, there is always a first time. Never say never. I also wish you the best of luck in continuing to never loose it in the future. Of course if Texas passes constitutional carry this year, then it will be a moot point and no reason to continue to maintain a Texas LTC other then saving you from future background checks on future firearms purchases.
    There is one other benefit of a LTC and that is being within 1000 feet of a school grounds. Federal law. Has anyone ever been convicted? I bet a million people drive with a gun in the glove box every day within 1000 feet of a school. Academic.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    My brother who lives in NY (not the big city upstate) when he was getting his LTC signed by a judge he talked to a guy who was trying to get a LTC in every state. I turned in my NY license when I moved to TX.

It's very difficult to get (or keep) a New York pistol license once one moves out of NY, but is is possible. There are threads on some PA boards about people who have done it. Usually they work in NY or have property/2nd homes there.

ScottDLS

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 7, 2020
    Dallas/Fort Worth, Texas
    I can describe one benefit that I have actually experienced. In 1998 I renewed my TX CHL (I got one of the two year ones they issued to some people in 1996 when they started because they didn't want everyone up for renewal every 4 years). Anyway in 2002, when it was up for renewal again (and after I had obtained a FL non-res), I applied for renewal about 60 days before expiration. For some reason in 2002 DPS was taking forever. My card expired before I got the renewal. For about a month I wouldn't have been able to carry without having another TX recognized license.

The other reason, and I know this is a sensitive topic with some people, but there are class B misdemeanors for relatively minor offenses that can get your Texas LTC suspended for 5 years, or make you ineligible to get one for 5 years. Many other states including some recognized by Texas will not suspend for the same thing. Legally you are still able to carry. Some people will say SSSHHH don't say that lest the legislature catch on, but it is a fact nonetheless. Another thing is you can get your license suspended for merely being CHARGED with a class B misdemeanor or higher, and until your trial and acquittal, or the dropping of the charges, you are without a license.

Texasgrillchef

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 27, 2018
    Lewisville
    There is one other benefit of a LTC and that is being within 1000 feet of a school grounds. Federal law. Has anyone ever been convicted? I bet a million people drive with a gun in the glove box every day within 1000 feet of a school. Academic.

If anyone has been, it’s because they broke some other law or laws at the same time!

Top Bottom