• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas
    Here is a discussion why modern firearms properly handled can be safely carried (concealed or open carry) with a round in the chamber.

While the gun can be mechanically safe the gun owner is the only true safety control means. If you are not sure of safe handling procedures with a firearm here are some starting rules from the NRA and NSSF to begin your education. And take firearms training sessions.
    Gun Zone Deals

tonelar

Well-Known
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 9, 2009
    El Paso
    it’s good they covered different types of revolvers, my saa colt is carried hammer down on an empty chamber

most modern wheel guns do not contact the primer of the round under the hammer

Last edited:

skfullgun

Dances With Snakes
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 14, 2017
    In the woods...
    I suppose some of the younger and less-experienced crowd may not know. I suppose there was a time early in my familiarity with firearms that I did not know the difference in SA revolvers, transfer bars, etc.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Is there anyone on here that doesn't already know this?!?
    While a few folks may may admit their ignorance, there probably are some long time shooters who have no clue but who will not admit it. When I have explained the difference between my Ruger Single Six & Ruger New Model Single Six to various folks, all shooters, I often have been amazed at how many have been clueless as to what is a transfer bar and about the reason they are used in recent manufacture revolvers.

Glenn B

Retired & Loving It
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 5, 2019
    Texarkana - Across The Border
    Because, if you don't take out your weapon, point it at someone and then put your booger picker on the bang switch, nothing will ever happen. A loaded gun is completely harmless until a human does something with it.
    Or maybe until an earthquake knocks a revolver off the shelf and it has one in the chamber and is an old time model without a transfer bar. Stranger things have fired guns.

kyletxria1911a1

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 22, 2010
    kyletx
    Is there anyone on here that doesn't already know this?!?
    5a0ee97d-31aa-4655-a80a-daf04be5d309.gif.gif

Coyote9

Well-Known
    TGT Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 13, 2020
    Granbury Texas
    Here is a discussion why modern firearms properly handled can be safely carried (concealed or open carry) with a round in the chamber.

While the gun can be mechanically safe the gun owner is the only true safety control means. If you are not sure of safe handling procedures with a firearm here are some starting rules from the NRA and NSSF to begin your education. And take firearms training sessions.
    LIKE all aspects of life, a loaded chamber is a risk vs safety balance or "trade off" and is situation dependent. I am old school, for example : I clear the weapon chamber when crossing obstacles and prior to entering high hunter density camps or parking areas. I carry for self defense when traveling to cities or events because I want to be prepared= to me that means an easily accesable weapon ready to fire , my P320 has no safety, my 1911 is cocked and locked .. both have a round in the chamber.
    DougC is right on target! properly handled- though training, practice and ever aware that complacent behavior KILLS.

DougC

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 22, 2021
    Texas

Here are two more commentaries on loaded vs empty chamber from Paul Harrell and Armed & Styled

They offer similar comments as mentioned here by others and a few I haven't considered.

Top Bottom