• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Not gonna lie, Dallas sucks for this kind of thing. I looked and the options available are slim. Why are there not more options available for 2-gun, or run-n-gun type matches. It seems like there would be a crapton of shooters interested in that kind of thing being offered. There are a few groups that have some offerings, but nothing like a run what you brung, come out and shoot no matter the skill level, no matter if you are a club member or not. Pay your entry fee for the match and have a good time. Does anyone know of anything offered?

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    So I checked it out, the Dallas options are slim. The texas combat shooters website doesn't even exist. The Dallas pistol looks interesting but again, all the classes and stuff I am not a fan of. I just want a simple, this is my rifle, this is my pistol, no class or round limits, just theres the target and shoot for the best accuracy in the quickest time. run n gun. not idpa or ipsc. is there anything like that out there?

Adding: TDSA has no info other than '3 gun match'. Would be great if they updated with more info. NTSA looks promising, may try that out. Issues with that place are that it is either pistol OR rifle, and only 100rds. North Texas Lead Farmers is closest to what I am looking for. I like their system, just wish there was more info on their site, and wish they has a place that allowed AR's. I will give them a try however.

Mreed911

TGT Addict
    BANNED!!!
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Apr 18, 2013
    Austin, TX
    I just want a simple, this is my rifle, this is my pistol, no class or round limits, just theres the target and shoot for the best accuracy in the quickest time. run n gun. not idpa or ipsc. is there anything like that out there?

Most people doing that are shooting USPSA/IPSC. If you're not a member, you don't have to worry about class, and there are no round limits on Comstock-scored stages (most stages).

Most folks don't do non-sanctioned matches because, frankly, it's a PITA without the reward of classification, competition, etc. Again, though, that's an optional thing. You want to show up and shoot? Do it.

BigBoss0311

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2010
    McKinney, TX
    Would love to. Just want to make sure I'm not wasting my time or anyone else's going to an event I will not like. I am only home for short periods of time so going to a low round count match that costs money and time and that does not appeal to me is what I want to avoid. I will be trying a couple when I get home though.

Renegade

SuperOwner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 5, 2008
    Texas
    I hear ya. When I had a second home in VA I used to shoot matches there all the time in Tidewater area. Some really good shooters were regulars, like Todd Jarrett. I am surprised DFW does not have more.

Recoil45

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2014
    If you looking specifically for 2gun it's limited. If you open to shooting just pistol or rifle or shotgun you generally have several matches a weekend to shoot. If I miss a weekend it's because I had other obligations not because there were no options.

njrefugee

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2014
    I went last summer and at that time it was a 1 day match that they repeated on Sunday, to accommodate work and worship schedules. I assume it is the same unless they made some changes. Below is the commentary I posted on another thread in the forum. If you want to actually run between stages of a 2-gun event, you'll want to look into the Biathlon / Run 'n Gun races. (WTF Biathlon, Pecos Run 'n Gun, etc.) Cresson is more like you drive your truck from one stage to the next. Definitely fun though!

I went to my first 2 gun at Cresson this past weekend. It was actually a multigun event, but if you don't want to use shotgun, you can shoot the shotgun parts with a pistol. I did this and it was pretty challenging, especially some of the steel targets out past 50 yards that were intended for slugs. (Highlight of my day was hitting a bowling-pin sized steel target at about 60 yards or so with a compact 45 ACP pistol. I went prone for stability and hit on my 5th or 6th shot.) The rifle targets were contact out to 500 yards. Most weren't too crazy, but definitely a challenge to do it quickly and with few misses.

There were about 10-12 or so guys to a squad and the overall turnout seemed like 30 or 40. Most of the guys there were clearly very experienced and awesome to watch. I am very new to the AR platform and have pretty limited pistol experience, but I did not feel any attitude or anything from the other shooters. There were a few other relatively new folks as well. The guys keeping score and the other shooters were very approachable and volunteered some advice without being stuck up or anything. Good group of people, and I definitely learned a few things.

It is about 90 min or so from the Plano area (I'm in Fairview). The match started at 9am and ran till about 4pm, with a break for lunch. 5 stages, but each was pretty involved. I would highly recommend at least enough pistol mags to hold 50 or 60 rounds. I ran through everything I had on a particularly long stage and still had a few targets to go. I did not need to do any mag changes with the AR, but always had a fresh one on board just in case.

All of the transitions at this event were from a barrel, so you don't carry your rifle while shooting the pistol parts. There are plenty of youtube videos from northtexasmultigun so you can see how they run it.

Also, they run the same match on both Sat and Sun, to accommodate work and worship schedules. I went on a Sat. Not sure how big the Sunday crowd is. Overall, it's a great value for $40 and definitely challenging. I hope to get back out there soon, next time with some serious bug repellent. There is a decent amount of tramping around in foot-high grass, and my ankles got mauled by chiggers. I'm slamming Benadryl shooters like it's spring break over here...

Top Bottom