Join TexasGunTalk

Why "Not" 40 Caliber?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Charlie, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jeepinbanditrider

jeepinbanditrider Active Member

Jun 2, 2011
    Dallas
    Argumentum ad absurdum

https://skyaboveus.com/hunting-shooting/Defensive-Handgun-Cartridges-are-all-the-Same-Facts-vs-Hype

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...FjAGegQIBhAB&usg=AOvVaw10DVrk4SswQsgAgCh-Cf28

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Darkpriest667 and DyeF9 like this.
  2. Texasgordo

Texasgordo TGT Addict

May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    It's been on my list too for a while now. Already tried a 4506, 2 different 5906, and a plain 59. I'm still wanting to get a 4006.

Southpaw and SQLGeek like this.
  3. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    Moonpie,

TRUE to a point. - ImVho, the MOST important thing is being able to hit what you need to hit CONSISTENTLY & under STRESS. =====> a MISS with an 88mm direct fire gun is almost valueless BUT a solid hit to the K5 area is likely to stop most any human from continuing the fight.

yours, satx

4. Texasgordo

Texasgordo TGT Addict

May 15, 2008
    Gonzales, Texas
    unnamed.jpg

Dancing Heretik, Southpaw and Charlie like this.
  5. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
  6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Thank you.

Still doesn't seem to make sense to me.

I will always think that equal improvement results in equal improvement.

But this is my problem.

Southpaw and Charlie like this.
  7. Darkpriest667

Darkpriest667 Actually Attends

Literally what I said 9 pages ago but more verbose

Conclusion
    Current research indicates there is no distinct advantage based on a particular handgun cartridge. If, in fact, all handgun rounds provide the same effectiveness, the deciding factors are magazine capacity and lower recoil which allows a shooter to put more rounds on target in a shorter time period. More hits means a greater chance one, or more, bullets will find vital organs (Vail, Patrick, FBI). Hits are more effective than misses, regardless the cartrige's power. One must assume assailants will pose a threat even if shot multiple times. Maneuver and cover are just as important to gunfight survival as the gun. All self-defense handguns have limited power compared to rifles, and provide similar terminal performance across calibers

jeepinbanditrider and DyeF9 like this.
  8. Charlie

Charlie TGT Addict TGT Supporter

Mar 19, 2008
    Kerr County
    Magazine capacity is not a huge issue for me.

oldag and Sam7sf like this.
  9. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    DyeF9,

As I'm NEITHER an assassin NOR an "elite operator", perhaps you believe that my OPINION based in large part on ACTUAL experiences of combat soldiers from MG Joe Wheeler (who fought fanatic/drugged-up Moros) to, GIs of WWII & Korea(who "turned" charges of fanatic Japanese/North Koreans/CHICOMs) to the latest "close combat soldiers" (who stopped Afghan guerrillas at close range) is VALUELESS.
    (In my case, I was just a retired MP & SA/SSA for USACIDC & have "heard my share" of gunfire at close combat range.)

For just ONE example of how SILLY that even suggesting that there is little/no difference in the STOPPING POWER of handgun cartridges, READ MG Joe Wheelers comments about the difference in shooting Moro pirates at pointblank range with a Colt's .38LC & a Scofield in .45Army was in the Philippines. = The 2 cartridges were about the SAME in velocity & both used bullets of similar construction. Neither the .30-40 Krag nor the .38LC would immediately stop Moro pirate's charges & the .45 Army would stop their charge "in their tracks" in nearly every case.
    Btw, the only other weapon that the USA had then that WOULD stop the Moros at close range was the 12 gauge shotgun with 00 buckshot.
    (General Wheeler's combat experience in fighting Moros is the MAIN reason that the M1911 pistol was adopted.)

yours, satx

TheMailMan and Charlie like this.
  10. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    We're discussing modern cartridges, but I appreciate your experience from the past. At some point there was a considerable difference in capability between the most common cartridges, just not anymore.

Charlie likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.