Join TexasGunTalk

Why "Not" 40 Caliber?

Discussion in 'Handguns' started by Charlie, Feb 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. easy rider

easy rider Carbide Precipitator TGT Supporter

Jun 10, 2015
    Odessa, Tx
    Says the Glock guy.

2. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    DyeF9,

WITH PLEASURE: In 2011, when I was a SSA with USACIDC, we worked a JOINT case of INDECENT ASSAULT & ORAL/ANAL SODOMY upon a 13YO female, with the FBI.
    (Fwiw, the victim was the DD of a SGT/E5 - The criminal was a local 28YO civilian. The attack occurred on post, while she was walking home from the PX Snack Bar.)

When the criminal was captured, he was jointly interviewed with FBI/USACIDC agents & it was thereafter found (By then the ROI & the FBI's "draft" Report of Investigation had been completed by the FBI Senior Agent assigned.) that the sex criminal was the step-son of a "prominent local politician".

After the Senior Agent received a PHONCON from FBI HQ the next morning, he changed his report completely & thereafter claimed that there was NO "clear & convincing evidence" that that criminal was the actual "subject" OR that the 13YO had actually been sexually assaulted by any "person or persons unknown".

Over my career, I've also known of other felony cases, which had "political implications", wherein the reports were "unavoidably" LOST, "unfortunately" MISPLACED or changed, such that the actual criminal was NEVER indicted/tried/convicted/sentenced.
    (It has been my long experience that the FBI has some GOOD "field agents" but that when "pressured from the 7th Floor" that oftentimes the selfsame agents suddenly became "unavailable" or were "reassigned to other duties", witnesses "mysteriously disappeared" or were "unavoidably unavailable" OR simply never appeared for court.)

Fwiw, in 2020, I (sadly) have to tell you that I personally know of NO major city/county/parish/State LE agency that FULLY TRUSTS the FBI to be helpful/honest/fair in their dealings with those local/State LE agencies.

yours, satx

Last edited: Feb 16, 2020
    GoPappy and TheMailMan like this.
  3. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    That's not actually hard data to support anything, but story time is alright too. Also I was referring to hard data to support your feelings about ballistics of pistol ammunition.

4. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    texas
    Hello all. New kid here. I read through the entire thread including articles, and I have a question...
    All the talk about this caliber over that, capacity, shot placement etc. I can't help but notice nobody has opted to discuss the actual "ammo". Just FYI, I prefer a 9 from a SA/DA compact, brand withheld, since its irrelevant. I prefer a 9 because 1) I cut my teeth years ago on this arrangement in the military (old dogs, new tricks...) But there are many TYPES of rounds out there that equal the playing field. Its not the old fmj anymore. Why in all of this has nobody considered the effects of hyper expansion bullets, different weights, etc. ? I mean, the type of bullet you use for a given task is more important IMO that the caliber since nearly all calibers fire in excess of 1000fps. What do you think?

satx78247 likes this.
  5. satx78247

satx78247 TGT Addict

Jun 23, 2014
    DyeF9,

SORRY. - I thought that you wanted to know WHY I so thoroughly DISTRUST & basically DESPISE the FBI.

yours, satx

6. ZX9RCAM

ZX9RCAM Over the Rainbow bridge... TGT Supporter

May 14, 2008
    The Woodlands, Tx.
    Welcome to the Forum!

Did you read post #3?

7. roadkill

roadkill Well-Known

Jul 5, 2013
    45 is king. With no expansion you all ways have a .45” hole. With a 9 you have to have expansion to approach what a fmj 45 does. So carry a 45 with some sort of hollow point self defense round and know your already ahead of the curve when it comes to wound size. Even if it fails to expand or fully expand the wound channel is gonna be larger than other calibers all things being equal.

studenygreg likes this.
  8. DyeF9

DyeF9 In Thrust We Trust

Jan 25, 2019
    Red Oak TX
    It was an alright short story. Reasonable reason to distrust them

9. Big Green

Big Green Pew Pew TGT Supporter

Mar 5, 2018
    College Station
    A lot of interesting information in this thread, even with the tangents.

So, I found a great deal on a G22 and I’m gonna buy it. I can also swap out barrels for other calibers if I so desire. Seems like someone @Hoji swapped for a 357 SIG barrel.

ZX9RCAM likes this.
  10. Benjamin

Benjamin New Member

Feb 16, 2020
    texas
    Thank you and yes I did. Reading all the posts just left me thinking that a perp with a big exit wound isn't going to inquire as to what caliber it was made with. Weather I use a .45 with an expanding bullet or a 9 with an expanding bullet, a large blood leak is a large blood leak. I mean how dead do you have to make someone before they are dead? I'm not terribly scientific and I don't study ballistics charts. That takes the fun out of shooting/trading and so on for me. I'm just being the voice of practicality I guess. If an attacker gets a hole in them, they are likely to reconsider their position if they are still able. I have rounds for target, rounds for small critters around the homestead and rounds specifically for defense. In this day and age, we can customize for any task and all from the same caliber. So, that being said, I prefer a 9 because its what I'm used to and any purpose I can think of, I can find a round to match. I'm not taking anything away from other calibers. Variety is the spice of life.

cycleguy2300, ZX9RCAM and satx78247 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.