• Status
    Not open for further replies.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    Somebody please explain to me why the officers in this case are not currently in jail.

Dallas PD investigating mentally challenged man shooting - Dallas News | myFOXdfw.com

That video looks pretty damning for the officers.

How far would you say the man with the knife was? Had the officer had contact with the man before? What did the man say, if anything, just before the shot. The officer had a worse perspective than us judging him safely from behind our computer screens.

I am for waiting for all of the facts. The video does not show clearly what happened. If the officer was not justified, then he should suffer the same fate any one of us would.

I agree with you though; on the surface this does not look justified.

winchster

Right Wing Extremist
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 7, 2010
    Justin, TX
    Chief Brown immediately requsted to have charges against the suspect dropped. The officer's statement said the guy lunged, video backs the eye witness. The Eye witness on the news stated the suspect was"several" feet from the knife and it was several more feet from the officers.

F350-6

TGT Addict
    Lifetime Member
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 25, 2009
    It's all over the news here locally. Mom has lawyered up, all charges against suspect/victim have been dropped, LEO in question on leave/suspension, chief of police makes sure mom gets to see her son in the hospital.

Don't have all the facts, but the actions and evidence are looking like this will be an expensive one for Dallas.

Sent from my SCH-I905 using Tapatalk

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    I can't imagine what facts could make this justifiable after watching the video. At least the officers went home safe.

txinvestigator

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Ft Worth, TX
    I can't imagine what facts could make this justifiable after watching the video. At least the officers went home safe.

Based on that video alone, huh?

I will ask again, how far away would YOU say the guy with the knife was? What facts did the officer have that YOU have no clue about? What did the officer observe that would be impossible for you to see from that video?

Ever been attacked by a knife wielding man? Been cut?

Easy to judge sitting safely on your couch.

Lest you be confused, I believe if the facts, all of them together, prove this to be not justified then the officer should suffer the same consequence any one of us would.

stdreb27

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 12, 2011
    Corpus christi
    I have no clue who is right or not.

But it bugs the crap out of me that they put so much focus on "mental handicapped". A man with a knife is a man with a knife. He's not rational. Which makes it even more dangerous. It's either justified or not. Makes no difference if he has all his marbles or not.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak
    I wonder how many lives have been ruined do to dirty cops making shit up like they tried with that guy. If it wasn't for the neighbors camera, that guy would be in jail (after the hospital) on made up charges. Who would the court have belived, a mentally ill person, or a policeman who was there to help and got attacked while serving the community. Pfft

cconn

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Hemphill
    Based on that video alone, huh?

I will ask again, how far away would YOU say the guy with the knife was? What facts did the officer have that YOU have no clue about? What did the officer observe that would be impossible for you to see from that video?

Ever been attacked by a knife wielding man? Been cut?

Easy to judge sitting safely on your couch.

Lest you be confused, I believe if the facts, all of them together, prove this to be not justified then the officer should suffer the same consequence any one of us would.

Did I say it was unjustifiable? Actually, in your previous post you actually stated it did not look that way on the surface. All I said was, based only on what I could see in the video, I have a hard time believing there could be anything to justify it. There could be. All we have is the video, so that is all we can comment on. But don't let that stop our resident Holier than Thou.

CZ guy

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Left of Galveston Bay
    Yeah, doesn't appear the officer will fair well in this one. I'll be anxiously awaiting the facts on what the officer knew about the suspect before hand that would cause that kind of reaction. I saw no justification for the shooting but we understand very little as to what adrenaline does to a person's mental state.

I took a hand to hand combat course once with an instructor that claimed he could cross a twenty foot span and kill a person with his bare hands before they could unholster their weapon. Funny, nobody in the class was willing to help confirm his claim. I doubt this guy had that level of skill though........

BG1960

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Unincorporated East Harris County
    I ain't sayin' it's a legitimate shoot, but having been on the HCSO's simulator and watching a guy with a knife gut my virtual partner before I could get a shot off from low ready leads me to not judge the officer. It's almost the exact situation. If the officer was trained on the same sim, I can see him dropping the guy for standing up and not dropping the knife. All you guys getting knotted up over it, might wanna do some research. A guy with a knife at that distance will gut you like a fish before you get one round off.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I ain't sayin' it's a legitimate shoot, but having been on the HCSO's simulator and watching a guy with a knife gut my virtual partner before I could get a shot off from low ready leads me to not judge the officer. It's almost the exact situation. If the officer was trained on the same sim, I can see him dropping the guy for standing up and not dropping the knife. All you guys getting knotted up over it, might wanna do some research. A guy with a knife at that distance will gut you like a fish before you get one round off.
    Please dont try to introduce reason and logic into the conversation.
    Who knows what the totality of this circumstance is.
    This forum tends to take a rather radical stance on LE in general. Trolling and looking for a cop who MAY have made the wrong decision seems to be a second job for many members. Luckily the cops on here don't spend their time posting links to stupid things CHL holders have done (or other gun owners for that matter). There are plenty more incidents that fit into that category.
    Why you may ask? Because we realize that humans by nature will make mistakes and we tend not to judge a group based on the actions of a few.
    Its sad really as the vast majority of LE are very supportive of 2A issues. The constant need for some to validate themselves by finding stories that put LE in a bad light and then beating it to death is perplexing.

But please, all of you who have not placed yourself in harms way for others, continue the keyboard commando assesment of this and other shoot/don't shoot situations.

As you were.

bcannon87

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2011
    East Texas
    This forum tends to take a rather radical stance on LE in general. Trolling and looking for a cop who MAY have made the wrong decision seems to be a second job for many members. Luckily the cops on here don't spend their time posting links to stupid things CHL holders have done (or other gun owners for that matter). There are plenty more incidents that fit into that category.
    Why you may ask? Because we realize that humans by nature will make mistakes and we tend not to judge a group based on the actions of a few.
    Its sad really as the vast majority of LE are very supportive of 2A issues. The constant need for some to validate themselves by finding stories that put LE in a bad light and then beating it to death is perplexing.

But please, all of you who have not placed yourself in harms way for others, continue the keyboard commando assesment of this and other shoot/don't shoot situations.

As you were.

This!!! Multiplied 1000 times.

TxBigfoot

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2011
    Red Oak

As you were.

I don't see anything wrong with pointing out corruption of those who are supposed to serve us, the public. The fact that these cops lied in their statement and said that he lunged at them with a knife is indisputable. Also, the fact that some LEO's can defend these cops actions shows an "us vs them mentality". But let's pretend we don't have any facts, let's not let a little video evidence get in the way of trumped up charges.

Texan2

TGT Addict
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 8, 2008
    South of San Antonio
    I don't see anything wrong with pointing out corruption of those who are supposed to serve us, the public. The fact that these cops lied in their statement and said that he lunged at them with a knife is indisputable. Also, the fact that some LEO's can defend these cops actions shows an "us vs them mentality". But let's pretend we don't have any facts, let's not let a little video evidence get in the way of trumped up charges.
    You have a video clip. And a news story. You hardly have all the facts. (Re: TXI's post.) The cop may have been wrong. Not enough evidence for anyone on the internet to make an accurate decision.
    I am not defending anyone. I am pointing out that TYPICALLY when a citizen defends himself with a firearm, members immediately jump to their defense, with or without all facts. TYPICALLY, when an officer shoots, he is jumped on as violating someone's rights, with or without all the facts.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom