• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • technoronin

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2009
    I just took a CHL class a couple of days ago and now I need to send the paperwork in.

The reason isn't that I plan on carrying, it is because I wanted to add to the numbers of CHL holders. The more honest, law abiding, voting citizens who do this, the less likely any politician is going to risk losing an election because of an anti-gun platform.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    If you have a CHL...they KNOW you have guns. Hello!

I too don't get the rush to run out and get a CHL - you're just telling the gun banners who you are, when they decide to pass a registration or confiscation law.

Its like having gun stickers or NRA stickers on your vehicle...why advertise?

Not smart, if you ask me.

- brickboy240

Fisherman777

Well-Known
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    45R
    If you have a CHL...they KNOW you have guns. Hello!

I too don't get the rush to run out and get a CHL - you're just telling the gun banners who you are, when they decide to pass a registration or confiscation law.

Its like having gun stickers or NRA stickers on your vehicle...why advertise?

Not smart, if you ask me.

- brickboy240

They already know everything about you. Get the CHL.

Texas42

TGT Addict
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 21, 2008
    Texas
    I agree with Fisherman. It is too easy to figure out that you have a gun, even without it being "registered." Buying ammo, supporting pro-gun legislation and groups, and hunting license are all things that we all do that can leave a paper or electronic fingerprint.

It isn't hard to find out that you have weapon. Get the license.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    I carry in the car because it is now legal to do so.

I do not carry a concealed firearm (I carry a knife always) because, yes, it does leave an easy "fingerprint." In all other countries where handguns are now illegal - they started with the round-up using registration and license records like the UK and Australia. They will do the same in the USA. Why make it easier for them? Hey, with this administration...who knows what they'll try to pull. This bunch is alot more crazy than the Clintonistas and other gun grabbers we have seen before.

I pay cash for ammo and have bought most of my guns through private sales. Don't belong to the NRA or other pro-gun groups, either. Call me paranoid...but again...why advertise?

Again...these are not the times to go around advertising one's stance. Sad...but its not the country I voted for or would choose...but the one I have to live in. Didn't the treatment that one Ohio plumber got for merely questioning Obama's taxation stance serve as warning enough of what the left is capable of doing to those that speak out in public?

You have been warned...

- brickboy240

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    It makes perfect sense to me that if there are a lot of new gun buyers, some percentage of those would opt for CHL's. And not knowing what those numbers are, it's hard to comment, but for years Texas ran at 8-10% of the populous having CHL. It would be interesting to see how that computes these days. I'd also be interesting to see how many that get their CHL, don't renew. I would suspect that a lot of new gun buyers that are now rushing to get their carry permit, would be likely not to renew. But of course I'm just speculated as we all are.

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    It makes perfect sense to me that if there are a lot of new gun buyers, some percentage of those would opt for CHL's. And not knowing what those numbers are, it's hard to comment, but for years Texas ran at 8-10% of the populous having CHL. It would be interesting to see how that computes these days. I'd also be interesting to see how many that get their CHL, don't renew. I would suspect that a lot of new gun buyers that are now rushing to get their carry permit, would be likely not to renew. But of course I'm just speculated as we all are.

8-10%??? The stats I get from the census are under 2%.
    From the DPS, 314,574 license holders active in 2008
    From census.gov, the population of Texas in 2006 was 23,507,783

Which comes up to 1.3%

As far as brickboy, we've already traced your IP address, spoken to your service provider and got your billing address. People will be over shortly to take pictures and inventory your guns. Have a nice day.

brickboy240

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Houston, TX, USA
    Of course not, but this is the last nation of freedom on this planet.

I'd choose for it to be freer than others did last November. Why don't you ask the leftists why THEY could not leave, instead of them, forcing the few conservatives left to live in New France? LOL

- brickboy240

navyguy

TGT Addict
    Emeritus - "Texas Proud"
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2008
    DFW Keller
    8-10%??? The stats I get from the census are under 2%
    ------------------

You are correct. I don't know where I got that 10%. However if I read the stats correctly, in 2008, there where 314,574 active license holders, and in 2008, the state issued 73,090, or 23% of the total active. Of course some of those are renewals, but the that still points to a big increase in applications, which I've got tobelievee is even more since the election and gun buying frenzy

Kerbouchard

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2008
    Dallas
    navyguy, I believe you are correct...I think this year we will probably hit 3%, but I see it getting back down to the low 1% within a few years. Since the Sept 07 change allowing carry in the car, I think a lot of people will let it lapse. I also think a lot of the peope rushing out to get their CHL's since the election will not renew.

No real way to know, but I sure do wish we could get to 10%...If I was a criminal, I wouldn't stick around a state where 1/10 people are carrying a gun...the criminals would head to Cali and IL in droves.

Whatever it is, lets hope it is never 0%.

sltintexas

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 22, 2009
    I took my class earlier this month. I have wanted to do it for years. With the current administration I thought now was the time. Talked wifey into doing it as well.

Top Bottom